• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Prequel/Sequel/Spinoff/Remake that surpasses original?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:02 am Reply with quote
So basically what prequel/sequel/spinoff/remake do you think rivals the original or even surpasses it?

Black Lagoon 2nd Barrage: The first season wasn't bad, but I didn't think it was all that great. Some of the action got way too over the top (Roberta arc, in particular) and I didn't find the characters, besides Rock and Revy to be all that interesting.

So I was absolutely stunned when I watched the 2nd season. Rock and Revy got fleshed even more, but the new characters introduced in this season were fascinating. The disturingly depraved and at the same time tragic/sympathetic Hansel and Gretel and Yukio in Gangsta Paradise arc being the standouts. Balalaika also becomes more interesting and even transforms into a rather disturbing character. She's one of the reasonw why the last arc is as fascinating as it is. Technically Rock and Revy are on her side and Yukio and Ginji their enemies, but Balalaika is ruthless in this arc and especially in the parking garage standoff reveals a very disturbing outlook on the world.

The first season had plenty of moral gray spots, but I like how the 2nd season greatly expanded on this. Not to mention it makes the setting more believable. Roanpur is said to be a real ugly and tough place with the lowest of the low hanging around. But it wasn't until the 2nd season when I began to actually believe it as opposed to being told it.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's: The first season was good, but the 2nd season expands on what made the first season great, strong characterization and intense action without rehashing it. The villains of this season are unusual in that they're not very villainous at all. In fact, it seems pretty harsh to label them as bad guys when what they're doing is pretty heroic albeit slightly misguided. I really like how the series switches between Nanoha and co. and focusing on the Velka type Knights giving a great deal of development to both sides.

And the fight scenes are even better. The very first fight scene that starts in episode 1 and ends in the 2nd episode is one of my favorite action scenes in an anime. Very intense.

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu and The Second Raid: I felt the first season had a lot of great ideas and potential but it didn't quite live up to them. The next two seasons IMO do great jobs of portraying the two sides of Full Metal Panic, the goofy parody of school comedies and the more serious realtively realistic mecha show.

Fumoffu really takes the concept of a soldier stuck in a normal, mundane school environment and runs with it. Relatively normal situations become hilariously over the top due to Sousuke's military mindset and completely deadpan expressions even in the wackiest of scenes/moments.

The Second Raid develops Sousuke and Kaname's relationship considerably. I really like how this season illustrates how much the two of them need each other. It balances the relationship out. But besides the drama, the series has real intense action scenes and suspenseful moments, particularly the episode 3/4 battle scene (where I was on the edge of my seat wanting to know how the heroes were going to escape from the situation they were in) and the cat and mouse chase scene in the rain in episode 9 which did a great job of portraying Kaname's fear and vulnerability.

Vandread 2nd Stage: While it's not quite as humorous as the original, this season developed the characters a lot more. It expanded on the characters who didn't do much in the original, particularly Bart, and further developed the ones who received a lot of development (Hibiki and Meia)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:26 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone will disagree when I say Hellsing Ultimate. There is so much that could have gone for the original series but then they had to end it the way that they did, which was unfortunate but at the same time the original version of the anime had probably caught up to the manga. Hellsing Ultimate aside from it's predecessor allows us to live those manga moments in somewhat of a humorous way, as well as just plain cool with Alucard on the screen.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
Well I have to agree with the titles mentioned above in Nanoha A's, FMP: The Second Raid and Hellsing Ultimate. Also while I haven't seen the original I'm sure Kanon 2006 will come up a lot in this thread.

Now to think of something I have seen which imo suprasses the original I would have to go with Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen. As much as I enjoyed the Kyoto Arc of the tv series when I judge it overall compared to Tsuiokuhen it just doesn't stand up. With its animation, music, fighting scenes and emotion, Tsuiokuhen imo surpasses the original and is one of 6 anime titles I would label a masterpiece.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
Kanon 2006, definitely. I enjoyed the original, probably more than other people seem to, actually. But the remake surpassed it in almost everyway. It has wonderful animation, great storytelling (spoiler[and you thought the Makoto arc was sad in the original... Crying or Very sad ]) and the VA's really shine.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll disagree that Nanoha A's was better than the first series. It does a lot more character work but because of it it does lose pace a couple times which drags the show a bit here and there. I love both shows and rate them nearly identical but I thought the first series was still just a tad better.

However moving in to Nanoha StrikerS I think the franchise really does grow into something more. Again I rated them all the same here in the Encyclopedia at Very Good, but I would have to say this is the series that was closest to getting an Excellent rating from me. I think that there is the simple matter of time. At 26 episodes it had the time to do a lot of that character work for all the additional cast without bogging down the main plot and also do some additional needed character development for the now older main cast. Nanoha has been a series that sets itself apart from other Magical Girl shows for the action, but does not lose to many other series in terms of character designs and actual development either, which also helps set it apart a bit.

Another show that fits the bill of improving in sequel in my opinion is Mahoromatic. The sequel is one of those shows that starts on the path towards silliness but eventually takes a bit more surprisingly serious tone that leads to a surprise second to last episode climax which you either like or hate, depending on taste. This is another series that might not be all time masterpieces or anywhere near them, but that second series does develop better than the original once it gets past some of those early silly episodes.

I used to disagree that FMP: Second Raid was better than series one, but in my many viewings of this franchise I have grown to love TSR more and more, and while not losing any love for the first FMP, I do now think the third series surpasses the first. And the reason for that is also the character development that is so much more natural than it was done in the first series. Especially Sousuke, not just in relation to Kaname but in himself. Some of the best character work from any series. Although I still think Fumoffu is the best of the lot as an overall show, love/comedy fanatic that I am.

I'm not sure if it counts as a sequel but The Twelve Kingdom's 3rd story arc "A Great Distance in the Wind, the Sky at Dawn," is the best part of that series far surpassing the first arc and the second one which was left incomplete. I was reminded of this speaking of character development and growth because I think this story arc in TK does the best job in that area of any series I have seen not named Honey and Clover. It is just amazing watching those three separate characters go on individual journeys and end up at the same point but in different minds than where they began, all the better for them.

Another one that I'm not sure counts because it is also just a subsequent arc in the same named series is the current Bleach arc which would be the third. The first arc was what got me excited abotu the show and kept me watching and then it got really stale in the infamous second arc, or the filler arc. But in this third arc, outside of the character filler episodes some of which are not too bad, the series is going in a lot of different directions and it all seems to point in a good direction. I'm not going to say this show will ever be as good as say RuroKen, but I think just as the Kyoto arc in Kenshin really made that show into something special, this third Espada arc in Bleach, if it finishes well, will help define Bleach as a whole.

And I won't say a lot about that Kyoto arc in RuroKen because I'd go on all day. That story arc, the second in its series, just did so much for the show from action to characters to climax to all areas that it would be difficult to get it all in without its own thread. And I did really enjoy the Tsuioku Hen OAV, also rated it as Masterpece, but I'll still hold the Kyoto arc above it in terms of overall entertainment. The drama was a tad better in the OAV but it really can't compete with everything that the Kyoto arc brings to the table.

Another sequel I'm finding I like better than the original is Genshiken 2. The series is doing a lot more as far as the subject matter. Somehow actually doing what I expected of the first series in terms or portraying the characters in their roles in life outside of their otakudom and how they handle it. The ever nice Sasahara's troubles have me feeling a bit down and I really hope things go well for him in the remaining episodes.

I don't recall many remakes that I enjoy more than the original, outside of the already mentioned Hellsing Ultimate. I've never seen either Kanon or Negima series so I can't comment on those, but all 4 of those are on my to watch lists so maybe someday I'll get to them. Despite all the bad things I hear I am going to watch those first series before their remakes, if/when I do get to them.

And there is one remake coming soon that has be a bit worried. That would be the alternate remake to Kimi ga Nozomu Eien/Rumbling Hearts. I had my mind completely drawn into the first series so much that when it ended I was satisfied despite some of my contrary thoughts during the early to mid episodes. I was actually really happy not just satisfied with how it ended so I'm not sure I want and alternate route/ending. I hope that it can work the magic that the first season did with me and make me enjoy the outcome. I want it to be as good or better but I'm nto sure if it can be.

There's also a sequel coming up that I hope matches or surpasses matches long awaited expectations. Thats the second Gunslinger Girls series. I love the manga arcs that the series will be going into and if done well I know it can be special but I loved the first series so much that I'm worried that even if it's just a tad less special, I might hate the show.

Ok, I've rambled too much and now I'm going into speculation for shows that haven't even aired yet so I'll stop. Sorry to get derailed in your topic here. Embarassed
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I think the second season of GiTS: SAC had tighter plotting, a slightly more interesting story arc, and more character development (we got to learn about some of the minor characters' backstories) so I liked it a bit better. That's not to say the first season wasn't awesome, and my two favorite episodes in the series are both first-season--I just think the second season held together better as a whole.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Naruto Shippuuden, by far. The animation is much better than the original series, and it just seems darker and more mature than the earlier series.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be unpopular and say that Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex surpasses both of the original movies (although Innocence hardly puts up a fight.) The Ghost in the Shell movie was interesting, and certainly entertaining, but it was easier to sympathize with the characters in SAC because they felt more human, and there was more time to spend with them instead of having just a movie-length plot focusing solely on Motoko. I love side characters, so having entire episodes about Batou, Togusa, Saito, Paz, Aramaki, and even the tachikomas was great. Still, I also think that the movie and TV series work well together, since the movie is a sort of 'introduction' to the world of GitS, and then the TV series gets into that world and just has fun with it. Ghost in the Shell is one of those classic anime films that absolutely everyone should see at least once, but they need to watch Stand Alone Complex soon after :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion:
Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai now when chain of mysterious murders started resolving it become more exciting and the first season was pretty boring in the middle. Besides Kai focus on Furude Rika I was curious to find out why she remembered spoiler[ the other Hinamizawa.]

Sailor Moon S from all SM series this one was the most interesting, darkest and new intriguing characters were introduced.

Mononoke It surpassed Ayakashi ~ Japanese Classic Horror because this time the main character for each story was the Medicine seller.

Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations It was only one episode released but I can already see that Tokyo Revelations will, in all probability, surpass Tsubasa Chronicle TV were episodes went at a snail's pace.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I don't think anyone will disagree when I say Hellsing Ultimate. There is so much that could have gone for the original series but then they had to end it the way that they did, which was unfortunate but at the same time the original version of the anime had probably caught up to the manga. Hellsing Ultimate aside from it's predecessor allows us to live those manga moments in somewhat of a humorous way, as well as just plain cool with Alucard on the screen.

Much like no one in their right mind will disagree when I say the "X" tv series made the "X" movie look like the garbage it was. Every aspect you can think of, animation, dubbing, plot development, etc was improved upon. I've heard of so many people who never gave the tv series a chance due to the movie and those that did see the series first never stop saying how glad they are that they did.
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Much like no one in their right mind will disagree when I say the "X" tv series made the "X" movie look like the garbage it was. Every aspect you can think of, animation, dubbing, plot development, etc was improved upon. I've heard of so many people who never gave the tv series a chance due to the movie and those that did see the series first never stop saying how glad they are that they did.

The irony being X the manga makes X TV series look bad. Even though it was never finished, it still is far better than X the TV series. It's not too different, most of the major plot events happen the same, but it's all of the tiny nuances and little side stories they cut out that actually make the experience. Plus the TV series takes itself far too seriously and also tones down a lot of things that for that story, needed to be horrific and jarring.

I have to agree with everyone who said FMP: TSR. The animation was gorgeous and the character development was fantastic. It seemed so real, and believable and natural. It was a crime it had to be so short. Sad
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GreatTeacherKen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
A few more that I forgot to add in the original post.

Kanon 2006: The original wasn't bad, but this version surpasses it in every single way imaginable. Not only is the animation better, but is the characterization and pacing. Of all the characters, Yuuichi and Shiori have the biggest improvements from the original, the former now being a much funnier and well-rounded character, and the latter now being incredibly charming whereas she was kind of bland in the original. The Mai arc in particular now makes much more sense and is all the more dramatic and powerful for it.

Ah My Goddess TV and the movie: The OVA had nice character designs, but for the most part I didn't care much for it. The movie and TV series greatly improve on the OVA. While the film is somewhat uncharacteristically serious for the franchise, I still liked it. Gorgeous soundtrack, and great animation, and it had interesting and even tragic villains who I think made great counterparts to Keichii and Belldandy.

The TV series, specifically the first season, I feel really develops the relationship between Belldandy and Keichii a lot better. The romance feels more natural then it did in the OVA. Not to mention that Urd and Skuld are a lot more interesting and funny this time around, especially the former.

Diebuster: It doesn't surpass the original, but I do think it rivals it and is certainly a worthy successor. I personally liked Nono, who I found quite funny and charming, more than Noriko. And I feel her relationship with L'arc is one of the more touching platonic relationships I've seen in fiction. And the development between the two of them really pays in the OVA's climax which I found to be deeply poignant. Not to mention that episode 4 has one of the coolest battle scenes I've seen in anime though it'll be a huge spoiler to say why this scene's awesome, but those of you who've watched this before probably know which scene I'm referring to. Wink

You're Under Arrest TV: The OVA had excellent animation, but outside of the first episode I found it rather boring. I guess the writers sort of struggled to find their footing because I found the comedy to be mosly unfunny. That changed in the TV series. The show somehow just seemed to be a lot funnier and I enjoyed the banter between Natsumi, Miyuki, and the rest of the cast a lot more. Yes, the animation did take a significant hit, but the rest of the show made up for this weakness. Plus, the show has one of the sweeter romances I've seen between spoiler[ Natsumi and Shouji, I really liked the forwardness of their relationship which is very much in character with the two of them. The Ken and Miyuki relationship is a bit too dragged it for my liking.]
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin OVA is far superior than Rurouni Kenshin TV series. Don't get me wrong, TV Kenshin is a great shonen (Anime for kids and teenagers), it's funny, it has great fights and it has dark situations but the OVAs are something else, they are an anime for adults. I think that director Kazuhiro Furuhashi always wanted to make a diferent story with Kenshin but the producers forced him to follow the manga. TV Kenshin is almost a dark drama but it has many jokes and happy endings in most cases, it's a story for kids. Tsuikouhen is a tragedy in the tradition of classic martial arts movies and 70s and 80s animes. The Jinshuu arc in the manga has great fights but it was a dissapoinment for me, Battousai was too Kenshin, not the badass of flashbacks and the happy ending felt too forced.

spoiler[Kaoru's resurrection was the worst plot twist I've ever seen]

When I read the manga I miss the tragedy of Kenshin OVAs. I'm happy for Furuhashi, sometimes anime directors can make what they really want.

I like Diebuster more than Gunbuster, it's only a personal choice; I like Diebuster's overexagerated action scenes. The director Kazuya Tsurumaki has a great eye for visual impact, it's a shame that his last work, Evangelion: You are (not) alone, forced him to copy TV Evangelion's action scenes and he couldn't be free to create his own interpretation.
SmashRackets4Fun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:54 am Reply with quote
I totally agree with Full Metal Panic's sequels. I felt like the first series was in between in terms of its humor and seriousness. Fumoffu went over the top with the humor while TSR is all serious and a much darker story. I loved both extremes more than its original.

No doubt Black Lagoon SB is better however, I didn't really recognize it because I watched the 2 series as one, but the characters developed much better in the 2nd part as well as the stories.

I dont really think Naruto got better... sure its more "mature" but still have relatively the same feel to the old naruto. Just because the kids grown up doesn't necesarily mean the anime is better. In fact I stopped watching Naruto for a while now while the first 100 episode or so was highly addicting for me.
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote
I'll agree with the majority that MSLN A's was better than the first season, but I'm gonna add that all MSLN seasons were better than the Triangle Heart OVA. MSLN was a spinoff of that OVA.

Quote:
And there is one remake coming soon that has be a bit worried. That would be the alternate remake to Kimi ga Nozomu Eien/Rumbling Hearts. I had my mind completely drawn into the first series so much that when it ended I was satisfied despite some of my contrary thoughts during the early to mid episodes. I was actually really happy not just satisfied with how it ended so I'm not sure I want and alternate route/ending. I hope that it can work the magic that the first season did with me and make me enjoy the outcome. I want it to be as good or better but I'm nto sure if it can be.

I'm actually excited about the remake. I liked Haruka more than Mitsuki - I thought Mitsuki was whiny and selfish, while Haruka was kind, sweet and gentle.

I also like School Rumble Ni Gakki better than the first season. I thought it was funnier, there were more characters and more exposure for the supporting characters from the first season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2