• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Model Airi Arimura Discusses Surgery After Receiving Manga-Related Appearance Insults

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantaselion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
............thats sad.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
The reason is sad but it's not uncommon for actors and models to get there teeth done.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Arimura discussed living in her younger sister's shadow. She said that facing constant comparison to her sister "can't be helped," but the comparisons often lead to insults about her appearance. For example, she said her appearance has been compared to the cockroach creatures from Terra Formars and the Titan who eats Eren's mother in Attack on Titan.

Yikes, talk about cruel and condescending.
Titus-A

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, it's not like she's done or advocating anything immoral, so why pick on her?
MugenPancake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Titus-A"]Dammit, it's not like she's done or advocating anything immoral, so why pick on her?[/quote]
Cause people are not-so-nice-people and have nothing better to do with their lives besides critiquing others. Extremely sad
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Very sad story to read, why some people feel it necessary to be so cruel and derogatory to others I'll never understand. I guess that's just the way it goes in showbiz nowadays (perhaps life in general) appearance is everything. Still if she's happier as a result of undergoing the surgery and doesn't suffer any health complications because of it, then good luck to her. Sad
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
That poor woman being made so insecure that she resorts to this especially when she is already pretty. Idol fans can be real scum.
Slashman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
That is just plain upsetting. She has no control over how she was born. What the hell people?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
She is a model so her appearance is also her brand. While I don't think this excuses overly rude comments, it does mean that she opened herself up to negative comments about her appearance just like a product being on Amazon opens the product up for negative user reviews. Like I said, this doesn't excuse every derogatory comment, but models are selling you their appearance. Really sounds like a shit job for that reason unless maybe you're in the top 1% of models or something.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:52 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
That poor woman being made so insecure that she resorts to this especially when she is already pretty. Idol fans can be real scum.

Indeed, it is a shame Airi had to go to those lengths. But somehow, I don't get the impression such comments came from idol fans, but very likely internet trolls.

[EDIT]

I got curious and looked up pictures of Airi (presumably before her operation), and they were far from as ugly as they were described in the article. In fact, I'd say they were pretty above average for Japanese.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
There is nothing wrong with having corrective or cosmetic surgery if you have a certain problem you need to fix. Plenty of people have to fix their noses, their teeth or even their chins. But the point is, you need to do it for yourself and because you want to, not because someone (a stranger, even) said bad things about you. People will never stop saying bad things and you will never be pretty enough for everyone, especially if it's your appearance you're trying to sell.

That said, she sounds like she's apologizing and she really shouldn't, it's her face and her decision. The more possible outcome will be that the bad comments won't stop, but at least they will lessen.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
She is a model so her appearance is also her brand. While I don't think this excuses overly rude comments, it does mean that she opened herself up to negative comments about her appearance just like a product being on Amazon opens the product up for negative user reviews. Like I said, this doesn't excuse every derogatory comment, but models are selling you their appearance. Really sounds like a shit job for that reason unless maybe you're in the top 1% of models or something.

This is true. As far with the spiteful comments, as many people have said, free speech does not mean free from consequences.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
While I feel bad that people made some horrible comments about her, I think the money could have been more wisely spent on a good therapist. If she seriously believes that she's living in her younger sister's shadow, there's a lot of really hurtful emotions that she needs to address. What happens when the same people that picked on her teeth (or whatever they picked on) move on to another body part? Will she get plastic surgery on that too.

Really would love to just give this woman a friendly hug. Sounds like she needs some positive people in her life and a really good therapist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1