• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Evil people only deserve to be killed by other evil people. For only a truly evil person would understand what an evil person loses in defeat and death, and can play to that to make their death even more miserable and soul crushing.

In this regard I see the Great Tomb of Nazarick's denizens as the destroyers of evil people as a great thing. For they can make evil people truly suffer. Evil people deserve to be treated as they treat others.

Though I wonder just who is suffering in the 'sheep pens' that Demiurge has created. Other than the Lizard Men, there hasn't seem to be that much prisoner taking than what we have seen in the show. At least in the numbers that seem to be indicated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Evil people only deserve to be killed by other evil people. For only a truly evil person would understand what an evil person loses in defeat and death, and can play to that to make their death even more miserable and soul crushing.

In this regard I see the Great Tomb of Nazarick's denizens as the destroyers of evil people as a great thing. For they can make evil people truly suffer. Evil people deserve to be treated as they treat others.

Though I wonder just who is suffering in the 'sheep pens' that Demiurge has created. Other than the Lizard Men, there hasn't seem to be that much prisoner taking than what we have seen in the show. At least in the numbers that seem to be indicated.

Keep in mind that throughout the series pretty much all of Nazarick's followers have considered humans to be lower lifeforms. A number of them eat humans as well (entoma and solution for example, and they're not the only ones). Humans, and other beings for that matter, fall into a category sort more akin to livestock or as tools/slaves in their minds. The whole concept behind Nazarick was it was a guild consisted entirely of non-humans and the backstories the guild members gave their creations reflect that. Sebas is one of the very few exceptions as far as that mindset, primarily because his creator was one of the few "white knight" personalities in the guild.

As to Ainz's outlook on humans spoiler[I think that will be made more clear next episode, and a lot more clear next season if and when they make that. Hint Hint, he ends up slowly becoming his character (aka character sheet) rather than staying the human he started as.][/spoiler]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm amused that Naberal seemed to realize that EvilEye is attracted to Momon and he himself doesn't notice that. (that's pretty normal for guys tho) Anime hyper

Also, I was recently pondering something about Albedo. While I'm sure ALL the guardians feel more loyalty to Momonga since he chose to stay (as they've noted). But I'm wondering if Albedo's burgeoning antipathy towards the guild is at all related to Momonga taking the name Ainz Ooal Gown, considering that he himself programmed Albedo to be in love with MOMONGA. I'm wondering if deep down she's angry at Momonga for "throwing away" his name and replacing it with the name of the guild.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I'm amused that Naberal seemed to realize that EvilEye is attracted to Momon and he himself doesn't notice that. (that's pretty normal for guys tho) Anime hyper

Also, I was recently pondering something about Albedo. While I'm sure ALL the guardians feel more loyalty to Momonga since he chose to stay (as they've noted). But I'm wondering if Albedo's burgeoning antipathy towards the guild is at all related to Momonga taking the name Ainz Ooal Gown, considering that he himself programmed Albedo to be in love with MOMONGA. I'm wondering if deep down she's angry at Momonga for "throwing away" his name and replacing it with the name of the guild.

The reason for albedo's action is this: spoiler[it was written in her character settings that she loaths Ainz ooal Gown (the guild), this was just his creator being edgy at the time he typed her backstory. in fact, funny as it is, it was Momonga writing that she loves him what might have inadvertently saved his neck once she became sentient. as she later plots to find any remaining member and kill them before Momonga or anyone else gets the chance to be aware of it]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:

The reason for albedo's action is this: spoiler[it was written in her character settings that she loaths Ainz ooal Gown (the guild), this was just his creator being edgy at the time he typed her backstory. in fact, funny as it is, it was Momonga writing that she loves him what might have inadvertently saved his neck once she became sentient. as she later plots to find any remaining member and kill them before Momonga or anyone else gets the chance to be aware of it]

spoiler[I don't recall her hating the guild, I thought that happened simply because she was so obsessed with Momonga that she basically saw anything else as an obstacle. Might be wrong through. I believe her initial settings was that she was actually a slut (bitch was the literal translation) so she might have been trying to sleep with everyone in Nazarick if Mononga hadn't changed her.]
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Theron, it was carefully explained in the light novel how Succulent was bailed out by the corrupt nobles that were involved with eight fingers. I realize this is no excuse for the anime, I just wanted to let you know.

maybe the lack of prior explanation was intentional if we had watched a scene or heard a character mention him getting freed we would most definitively assume we would be seeing him again soon. I am sure Climb most have been as confused as you were, some one might explain it to him the next episode
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

spoiler[I don't recall her hating the guild, I thought that happened simply because she was so obsessed with Momonga that she basically saw anything else as an obstacle. Might be wrong through. I believe her initial settings was that she was actually a slut (bitch was the literal translation) so she might have been trying to sleep with everyone in Nazarick if Mononga hadn't changed her.]

remember there was a really big wall of text in her character settings, momonga skimped through it and just read the last couple lines

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:07 pm Reply with quote
And regarding succulent, in episode 9 in the after credits (end song) there is a short scene where the six arms gather and Zero orders for the count to be contacted and for succulent to be released (not sure which count). Then says they're going to go after whoever embarrassed them.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the anime did mention Succulent was getting bailed out a few episodes back.

Overall, I'm not sure how this arc is going to end. I can guess Momon becomes the greatest hero for putting down a demon, but how will that tie into Demiurge's plan? Is it going to connect to way back when he heard Ainz muse about taking over the world? It seems like everyone in Nazarick is acting under that assumption so...

And then there's Albedo. Are we going to get a zinger at the end that she's plotting something or will that cliffhanger be put off for a potential s3?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Why do some people consider that Ainz is some sort of genius level mastermind?
Have both seasons of the anime failed that badly?

Albedo & Demiugre are Nazarick' master strategists,Ainz just ab-libs his way through one misunderstanding to the next.

@MiloTheFirst

Albedo was intended to be tsundere but slutty fallen angel/shadow demon kinda of woman.
Ainz with his simple change to her complex personality settings has setup conflicts with her personality. She is becoming more of a yandere type growing more obsessed with Ainz each day novel spoiler--- spoiler[ to the point where she rapes him,rides him like a cowgirl ].

She has grown to despise the guild Ainz Ooal Gownspoiler[ and it's former members,even her own creator.] She does not hate Ainz,only the name she feels he(Momonga) was forced to adopt. And Albedo does not hate her fellow denizens of Nazarick,though some make her squeamish Smile

Major novel spoiler --- spoiler[ Albedo's hatred has grown to the point she intends to kill any player found in the New World,in particular any former members of Ainz Ooal Gown,and Ainz unwhittingly gave her the power to do so lol ]

All due to Ainz's thoughtless,simple change to her settings.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
why are you explaining to me what I had stated myself? did you perhaps no read my own spoiler tags?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
@Morry

A small spoilerish reply that deals with a plot point of the three volumes you've been watching...

You've been watching the opening moves of Albedos & Demiurge's plan for world conquest,spoiler[it's all about securing supplies for Nazarick ]
If you recall there have been a few scenes of Ainz dealing with the lack materials to make scrolls,the lack of money & the ability to make more.

Thespoiler[ the lizardmens villages were to be attacked at the behest of Albedo,to gain bodies for Ainz to experiment on,Ainz changed that plan...kinda of,sort of on purpose/lucked into it.]

What is going on in the Kingdoms capital spoiler[ is Demiurge's & Albedo's plan to takeover the Eight Fingers criminal organization,gain their power & wealth of supplies.To weaken the Kingdom from within before Nazarick moves against that nation.There is a reason dealing with Demiurge's "ranch",best read the novel..]

Will restrain myself from giving a spoiler about the last episode.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
This is why Milo-

MiloTheFirst wrote:

You have Albedo's hatred of the guild, Ainz Ooal Gown,being because her creator wrote her that way...

That is not part of her settings.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
@Milo

Albedo's personality settings:
(please correct any mistakes on my part)
(( and Maruyama wrote this early on,he has a habit of changing his own rules to suit his needs))

spoiler[She is a demoness who holds the title of Guardian Overseer, which is the highest-ranking position in the Great Underground Tomb of Nazarick. With flowing raven hair and golden pupils, her beauty could bewitch a nation.
She is proud of her position and confronts intruders as a confident, dignified superior being.
Regardless of how brilliant or brave her foes are, or whether she considers them strong, she will never acknowledge them as being equal to herself.
This is because she understands the meaning of the position bestowed upon her.
Her abilities befit the title of Guardian Overseer, with outstanding intelligence and combat ability.
That said, she is not omnicompetent. For instance, in pure wits, Demiurge is her superior, while Shalltear is superior in fighting ability. Yet, nobody in Nazarick can rival her administrative ability.
In addition, her feminine skills -- particularly those pertaining to being a housewife -- are excellent, and during her free time, she can be seen sweeping, sewing, and so on.
Though the reason is unknown, she enjoys cleanliness and her desire for such frequently drives her to clean things up.
In particular, her ability to sort out bookshelves knows no peer.
However, she recognizes the possessions of others as belonging to them, so she rarely insists on cleaning up.
That said, the items accumulated through her collector’s habit are typically very messy.
Therefore, it remains to be seen whether she actually likes being tidy.
This might well be an act -- in order to appear as the perfect woman -- though the truth of that is unknown. It is too scary to confirm.
She always has a gentle smile on her, and her elegant way of speech has made many people think she is a goddess or an angel.
That mistake is not particularly laughable, given that she is surrounded by that sort of atmosphere and acts in an appropriate way.
The fact is, it would not be wrong to view her in that way.
She was originally planned to be an angel of the highest order, but she ended up with a greatly distorted appearance after being fused with a monster from the land of dreams.
Because of that, her personality is similarly twisted, being merciless and cruel, cunning and savage. She gives her enemies despair and revels in their agonizing deaths.
Her usual expression seems to be there to suppress the urges which flow from her heart -- a mask which exists to conceals her desire to perform ruthless acts upon the weak.
If the mask breaks, she would probably end up being like Empress Lu Zhi or Empress Wu Zetian.
However, that only applies when dealing with those not of Nazarick.
Fortunately for those who do not serve Nazarick, one can take comfort in the fact that the mask is very sturdy and will not break easily.
She feels very strongly about her duties as the Guardian Overseer of the Great Underground Tomb of Nazarick.
Naturally, the fact that she has ears everywhere listening for information goes without saying.
In addition, she smiles all the time -- to the point where one might say she does not show any other emotion.
Her smile is nothing more than a poker face to her.
She can also show emotions like anger, grimaces and fake tears.
Her sophisticated lady’s face will not break, even when she is torturing the fools who oppose her.
By her appearance alone, she is a perfect beauty.
Incidentally, she is a slut She is in love with Momonga.]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Why do some people consider that Ainz is some sort of genius level mastermind?
Have both seasons of the anime failed that badly?

Ainz is CLEARLY living the "fake it till you make it" ethos right now. I agree that anyone who thinks he's a mastermind isn't listening to his inner monologues or following along when he's alone. In most of those he clearly states he has no idea what he's doing, or at least that's he's ENTIRELY just making it up as he goes along. Its also great seeing how many times he gets backed into a corner (mentally) or has no idea what he's talking about and just spouts something off and the guardians ascribe deeper brilliance to whatever he says. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15