• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - Eyelita: Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
MetalEmolga wrote:
I don't want to sound pedantic. But it originated with Jun'ichi Nakahara. He created the style by drawing Japanese women's faces with their eyes three times their original size. His art style became so popular with women that it became the default way for drawing characters in women's magazines and shojo manga. Tezuka Osamu used to draw shojo manga and that's were he learned the style.

Not at all. I'd always thought that because Tezuka was inspired by the big eyes of Disney characters, he birthed the whole trend of big shiny eyes that would eventually take root in anime and manga.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
After listening to a podcast where the fellows hosting ask one of their mods from the UK (who was drunk) about whether he'd have sex with a girl with a "funky" eye, what happens when I make a stop here? I get a strip on the whole "anime eye" deal. I won't lie this whole thing had me dying.

But wait isn't the eyes the windows to the soul?
Which was a response by a late friend where we had a whole discussion about why "anime" eyes were so huge. Now I have a clue.

But man folks are still on about the eyes in this movie.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Personally I didn't mind the eyes. That is what anime eyes would look like in reality and it just highlights her non-human nature.

Yet she seems like the only non-human in the movie that'll look that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2