• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Age Ratings So Inconsistent?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:17 am Reply with quote
The problem is that for a content ratings system to be effective, the parents whom they're aimed at need to know the ratings system exists in the first place. The ESRB gets hit with this real hard (which is the one for video games in the United States). You STILL have a lot of clueless parents firmly convinced that video games are strictly children's entertainment and either don't realize the ESRB exists, don't believe it exists, or don't see the point in it existing. I've encountered my share of those incidents.

Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
(2) Same Suncoast, some years earlier. A mother with her 12-year-old boy walks to the counter with a DVD of Ninja Scroll (yes, the movie) for a sleepover. Store manager (old friend of mine) who followed anime closely firmly warns mother, who replies, "I know what's best for my child!" Tragi-farce set in motion.

Next morning, manager comes in to open up. Phone is ringing off hook. Mother is furious. Manager reminds mother that she was given due warning but chose to ignore it. Parent got what was coming to her Twisted Evil (while son and friends certainly got an eyeful, I daresay... Cool )

Sounds like a story ready to be submitted onto Not Always Right.

OjaruFan wrote:
Interesting stories, Ouran High School Dropout. Was Suncoast the "go-to place" for anime back then? I keep seeing people mentioning the store on here.

Indeed. Suncoast had by far the widest selection of anime among any nationwide brand. (It was beaten out by Fry's Electronics, though that's restricted mostly to the western side of the US and Canada. I'm honestly not sure why I don't see more stories of people getting their anime at Fry's. I always got mine at Fry's rather than Suncoast. Still do.)

CatSword wrote:

Kids love ninjas. Parents know kids love ninjas.
CR85747

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:21 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
RestLessone wrote:
Still, there are obviously odd rating choices, like giving The King's Speech an R based on language. It follows the set guidelines, of course, but the film itself is fairly tame outside a single scene.

While it can seem odd that a single scene can drastically increase a film's rating, there's really no other way around it, save for having an edited version that costs time and money, needlessly confuses and fragments the market, and possibly drastically alters the film as a whole. I mean, can you imagine trying to explain to a hypothetical angry parent that took their kid to a hypothetical PG movie "well yes, but apart from that one scene with the brutal rape and murder, it's perfectly suitable for children"?

A recut version of that movie with the profanity muted did in fact come out later in its' theatrical run.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

CatSword wrote:

Kids love ninjas. Parents know kids love ninjas.

I find it funny because the cover of Ninja Scroll really gives it away just how un-kiddy the whole thing is. I mean there's a naked woman basically on the Manga Video cover. Guess they don't notice it.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
There actually is still a Suncoast at the Monmouth Mall, I think it's counted as an FYE location but with the Sunocast name. Half the store is movie memoribilia and candy, but they still have an impressive anime section, including merch.

Well, I'll be! Monmouth where, exactly? All the ones in my area are dead and gone these 10 years.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I used to have a Suncoast and a Sam's Goody in the same mall with a Best Buy right across the street. Their biggest problem was that they liked to charge full MSRP. Of course back then, online purchases were mostly more for people who are to busy to go shopping or buying a product that is sold out at your location.

Best Buy owned The Musicland Group, Suncoast and Sam Goody's parent company, for a while. Crappy business decisions absolutely wrecked it to point that it was sold off to investors and liquidated, with Trans World Entertainment, fye's parent company, buying the scraps and closing even more.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:
There actually is still a Suncoast at the Monmouth Mall, I think it's counted as an FYE location but with the Sunocast name. Half the store is movie memoribilia and candy, but they still have an impressive anime section, including merch.

Well, I'll be! Monmouth where, exactly? All the ones in my area are dead and gone these 10 years.

Eatontown, Monmouth County, New Jersey.

Here it is.

It's an FYE in all but name, though. Even got the FYE exclusive snacks like Reptar bars and strawberry smiggles.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Eatontown, Monmouth County, New Jersey.

Here it is.

It's an FYE in all but name, though. Even got the FYE exclusive snacks like Reptar bars and strawberry smiggles.

Thanks for the pic! It brings back some really good memories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3