• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Actually, call me overly pessimistic, I think it may be the last straw. I've gotten to the point where I cannot conceive of this resolving a good story cleanly even in two cour.

Just think of all the really key things we are now waiting to learn about 'later'
-I was already pissed at the casual sexual objectification but figured they'll explain it 'later'
-the details of whatever eugenics program they're in' later
-the revelation of the cause of their post-apocalyptic world-later
-who/what is Papa-later
-what/who is 002-later
-remember the "front lines" 002 was originally fighting from? what's that?-later
and now we can't even come close figuring out any hint of what a Klaxosaur is.

Now obviously the answers can be inter-related but personally I'm losing all sense of a promising resolution.

Maybe it WILL end alright- but in the meantime I'm not having a good ride getting to the end.

It reminds me less of a Trigger show than a 10 year old Gonzo show. Top heavy with interesting concepts but ultimately doomed to end in a mess. (except those shows were usually funner in the ride up to the foggy resolution.

I also have to disagree with Key's assertion that this follows a longer Mecha tradition than the Evangelion era template.

Sure, other shows always had the ever increasingly difficult foes in metal mecha or monster suits- but they always had a "simple" expalanation- the bad guys were making them bigger and badder while the heroes stuggled to get better and bolder to fight harder.
These mecha/monsters just ARE- and I have a problem getting behind that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
It must have been 10-15 years ago, during the days of Dai-Guard and Godannar, post Evangelion, that I realized how annoying these types of progressively more powerful “Monsters” were to me. They get bigger and badder, they come from nowhere, they get no concrete explanation. It’s so dang stupid.

So you're complaining that some mecha shows have the same defects as Evangelion.
Got it. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

At least Evangelion has the “the mystery is the point” aspect to it, but the other ones…

Lol that's some pretty hard delusion. Eva fills the same trope you seem to detest. Each angel (which by the way the show never explains what they are) is bigger, badder than the previous one. You do realise this don't you ? Oh but it's a mystery so who cares if the show doesn't explain it Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

Quote:

I think it was Dai-Guard that had some cute super-scientist girl off-handedly says something like “It’s probably some sort of Environmental response to humanity’s destruction” and that was it… and I think the show ended at that time without a sequel.

Dai-Guard actually explains what those monsters are, you just don't like the explanation.

Quote:

And now we seem to be getting this again.
“We have no previous record of this Klaxosaur!” as it transforms from a giant moving fortress to a freaking battering ram with legs. Ugh.

The Klaxosaur terminology refers to the different inner layers of the Earth. We got to see the smallet Klaxosaurs (those whose name corresponds to the layers most near the surface). As we go down to the nucleus of the Earth we'll start seeing bigger, badder Klaxosaurs. I find it pretty logical.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

-I was already pissed at the casual sexual objectification but figured they'll explain it 'later'
Well funnily enough, in their world they're not being objectified at all. I mean, they don't know what sex is. They don't even know what kissing is! In fact we could probably count with two hands the list of things they DO know about the world.

I think you're reading too much into it. It's a marketing ploy to get people to pay attention.

... and now that we're entering extremely familiar territory with how formulaic the last episode was, it seems as though that will be the extent of Franxx's novelty. It's that one nondescript, generic mecha show hidden behind a paper-thin coat of (as someone in the thread already stated) "subversion."
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

I think you're reading too much into it. It's a marketing ploy to get people to pay attention.

But that would make it so much worse.

But anyway, I'm not here to convince you of anything or roll my eyes and call you delusional for not seeing something the way I do.

I find it sexist and much of the defense of it a symptom of toxic masculinity. The type that never stops to wonder why others are offended by what they are not.
The only defense of which is that it knows that the imagery presented is sexist and wants to deal with it. (but hasn't yet)

I find it full of cliches and gimicks I do not enjoy (unlike the shows with cliches I DO enjoy).

I do not like the characters much and suspect most of the supporting crew are there to be killed.

So get over it dudes. There's someone who doesn't like what you do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
This show is a good romance story in that Hiro and Zero Two start off using each other for their own purposes but have grown to love each other. I am guessing that the arrival of the seven that have been mentioned as fighting on the front lines indicates that Zero Two isn't the only special parasite that has been created. Than again I have the feeling that none of the parasites are completely human.

James_Beckett wrote:
However. DARLING has plenty of other influences, as I mentioned in the review, but this episode was so throughly and clearly attempting to ape Evangelion's style, themes, and direction that the show itself is essentially begging for the comparison. People can complain all they want about not seeing the similarities as much as I do, but I'm not the only one to notice that, significant portions of this episode life direct, frame-for-frame shots, beats, visual motifs, and even sound-design elements *directly* from Evangelion. There's no argument to be made there, it's just a fact.
It has been more than a decade ago since I watched Evangelion but I wouldn't have even thought of it considering how many differences there are between the two shows. There have been dozens of mecha shows that have been made over the decades and even Evangelion had similarities to earlier mecha shows.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
@ Spastic Minnow.

I fixed your quote tags.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
About blood: I stand corrected. It's only the veins that are blue, not the blood itself. My bad.
Me too, at the hands of Ragdollomega, don't know why I keep thinking the bright red is veinous. Good thing I had to give up on being a doctor because I cringe at the sight...

Anyway, on topic I was surprised the obligatory Beach Episode came so soon seeing we are 26% and not 50% in. Also seemed very out of place since previous visuals and dialog seemed to indicate there were no oceans, but here it turns out they were only a few miles away from one given how slow the "plantations" move with (conveniently) no klaxxosaurs to worry about and even an abandoned Japanese seaside town. Why didn't they just tell P-26 and P-13 to meet at the neighborhood ocean and "kiss" on the beach and avoid the whole klaxxosaur drama? Rolling Eyes

As a crossover from the CR Anime Awards discussion, I definitely vote 02 as Best Girl. However, if Hiro doesn't watch it and keep close to her, especially at the beach, secondary Best Girl Ichigo may make her move...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Zero Two's lone wolf nature is part of her character, but she barely gets anything to do this week; all her scenes exist to develop other characters instead of herself.

I dunno, I think that scene where she's off swimming by herself, watching while the other kids play around the camp fire says plenty about her.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
Zero Two's lone wolf nature is part of her character, but she barely gets anything to do this week; all her scenes exist to develop other characters instead of herself.

I dunno, I think that scene where she's off swimming by herself, watching while the other kids play around the camp fire says plenty about her.

Sure, but her outsider status has been well established and reinforced from Episode 1, so I don't think it adds anything substantial that the audience isn't already aware of. You could argue that it is hinting at her actually yearning to make connections with the others, and not just Hiro, but it still doesn't do justice Z2's character to have those feelings be relegated to a couple of blink-and-you-miss-them shots, with the rest of the episode using the rest of her screen time to play up Hiro and Ichigo's arcs, at least in my opinion.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why, but I'm fixated on the fact that it was the bustiest girl that picked up the baby-making book.

And right after Mitsuru walks in and presumably also sees the book, and suddenly my mind went "Oh... oh no."
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
I was mostly disappointed by this trite, trope-filled, filler-esque beach episode, and the part that bothered me the most was the boys' camaraderie in ogling girls as an activity, because it immediately suspended my disbelief that they were raised in a bubble. When kids are kept ignorant about sex and raised in a segregated environment, as in fundamentalist communities, they wouldn't act like that. Not that they wouldn't look at girls they're attracted to, but they wouldn't make "girl-watching" into a communal game, reinforcing a "forbidden" activity within their peer group.

Before this episode, Darling has showed us how segregated the kids are--boys and girls have separate dorms, separate changing rooms and even separate dining tables. We know that the boys are taught that it's wrong to watch the girls change, and we saw how instinctively embarrassed Hiro was when he saw 02 bathing.

So social shame is reinforced, and usually, in those situations, either openly ogling girls would be considered just as shameful, in which case the boys wouldn't admit to one another that they're doing it and therefore it wouldn't be a group activity, or they would be taught that girl watching in certain circumstances is ok by media or adults modeling that behavior and feel ok to engage in it themselves, as they did in this episode. We never saw them getting that message, so it felt so "off" to me. Like the show was trying to have its cake and eat it, too--show the boys as relatable and "normal" to modern secular audiences despite their bubbled, ignorant upbringing.

The town exploration was more interesting. If I were one of those kids, I'd grab every piece of reading material I could find! I think Kokoro kept the maternal education booklet, but it looked like Ichigo put the romance novel back, which is too bad.

On the note of reading materials, what was Ikuni reading? I'm wondering what type of books these sheltered kids, who barely understand their own world structure let alone history, have access to.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I was mostly disappointed by this trite, trope-filled, filler-esque beach episode, and the part that bothered me the most was the boys' camaraderie in ogling girls as an activity, because it immediately suspended my disbelief that they were raised in a bubble. When kids are kept ignorant about sex and raised in a segregated environment, as in fundamentalist communities, they wouldn't act like that. Not that they wouldn't look at girls they're attracted to, but they wouldn't make "girl-watching" into a communal game, reinforcing a "forbidden" activity within their peer group.

Completely agree, it completely broke my suspense of disbelief. They don't know what a kiss is but they find pleasure in ogling girls' breasts and butts?

It made me remember of an episode in the weird Centaur's Life that featured the merpeople society. In that society, it was the standard that girls didn't cover their breasts, so a couple of guys are shown having no interest in ogling their naked classmates because it's a normal thing for them. Conversely, they did show interest in a half-mermaid girl who had been raised outside the Merpeople country, so she covered her breasts. The boys were attracted to her modesty because that's what they found exotic. Although I wasn't a fan of the narrative that boys enjoyed seeing a girl ashamed of having to expose her body, it was at least more consistent with the established setting instead of trying to throw gratuitous winks at the audience that make no sense in the context of the series. The worldbuilding of the show so far is already very slim, and this type of moments break the coherency of the story
Mojave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:14 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Completely agree, it completely broke my suspense of disbelief. They don't know what a kiss is but they find pleasure in ogling girls' breasts and butts?

It made me remember of an episode in the weird Centaur's Life that featured the merpeople society. In that society, it was the standard that girls didn't cover their breasts, so a couple of guys are shown having no interest in ogling their naked classmates because it's a normal thing for them. Conversely, they did show interest in a half-mermaid girl who had been raised outside the Merpeople country, so she covered her breasts. The boys were attracted to her modesty because that's what they found exotic. Although I wasn't a fan of the narrative that boys enjoyed seeing a girl ashamed of having to expose her body, it was at least more consistent with the established setting instead of trying to throw gratuitous winks at the audience that make no sense in the context of the series. The worldbuilding of the show so far is already very slim, and this type of moments break the coherency of the story

I actually had a very different take on this scene. It immediately seemed different to me than the standard "The guys inappropriately ogle the girls at the beach" trope that pops up in so many anime. If you notice, each of the boys looks primarily at his own partner. They're not engaging in the forbidden group activity of ogling girls, they're collectively getting their first experiences with seeing their partners in a manner different from how they have been raised up to this point. With how strict the separation is, this is the most revealed they may have ever seen each of their partners. So they're enjoying that experience of seeing their respective partners in a new light, together. It's pretty much exactly the situation that Agent355 talked about with fundamentalist communities, as each boy is getting their first look at their partner in this new way. Instead of being a mindless trope, I thought this scene was actually excellent writing, as it took the place of where the common trope would be in this type of episode, and changed it to be different in tone and also adhere to its world's own logic.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I actually had a very different take on this scene. It immediately seemed different to me than the standard "The guys inappropriately ogle the girls at the beach" trope that pops up in so many anime. If you notice, each of the boys looks primarily at his own partner. They're not engaging in the forbidden group activity of ogling girls, they're collectively getting their first experiences with seeing their partners in a manner different from how they have been raised up to this point. With how strict the separation is, this is the most revealed they may have ever seen each of their partners. So they're enjoying that experience of seeing their respective partners in a new light, together. It's pretty much exactly the situation that Agent355 talked about with fundamentalist communities, as each boy is getting their first look at their partner in this new way. Instead of being a mindless trope, I thought this scene was actually excellent writing, as it took the place of where the common trope would be in this type of episode, and changed it to be different in tone and also adhere to its world's own logic.
You beat me to the punch. I had a feeling what the scene was meant to convey, and what the camera was showing us, were not one and the same. The camera gave us fanservice, which is what everyone expects, but the boys likely weren't ogling the girls breasts or butt like the camera was. As you said, they were watching their respective partners as a whole, not specific body parts, let alone in a sexual manner. We've already seen that they feel love and heartache even if they don't understand what it is, so it makes sense that, admiring their partners, they'd feel something and try to interpret it as a group. They watch the girls frolic on the beach, their hearts feeling strange, a feeling they don't quite understand, but that they like.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
I liked the establishing shots of the old village, it gave it this dream like look and feel to it. You feel like you are viewing it the same way the characters are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 124