• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Haven't been mentioning because, frankly, I don't find it to be anywhere near as strong a closer as the first season's. (But the first season's was my top pick for that year, so it's a pretty high standard to live up to.)

Depends on what you mean by strong. I’m a big music person and the way the calm/foreboding instruments and soft/eerie vocals complement the visuals is quite enchanting and pleasant to hear for the ears as a song. If you have preferences, that’s perfectly fine, but I just don’t think it’s entirely fair to compare the two songs directly simply because they both are ending themes. They’re two different sounds that are trying to convey different moods/points of a story. I think both songs do their job quite well and both are worth mentioning, IMO.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, sure, it's fair to compare, but "L.L.L." is IMO the ultimate ode to obsessive love, and the lyrics fit the character portrayed (Albedo) so perfectly that it has to be looked at as her theme song.

Besides, I tend to be partial to heavy metal, so those kind of songs will have an edge with me if done well. (And yes, people who know me in person are usually shocked to find out that I'm into headbanger stuff, as I definitely don't look or dress the scene.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
^^Thats how I feel about that song as well. I’m also partial to heavy metal (rock music also), but I also wanted to get across that the 2nd ED song was also good, but for different reasons and the fact that I have a very eclectic taste in music. I give basically most genres of music a chance to fit a specific theme, so that’s why I wanted to say something here about it if you didn’t mind.
Mojave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I agree with you about the ED, Joshua. One of the most stunning I've come across in a long time, and by far the best ED of any anime so far this year.
Nojay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Lord Touch Me?

Mare and Aura's creator is the Supreme Being Bukubukuchamaga which translates to "Bubbling Teakettle".
rottencorrupt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
So something i didn't realize till someone said it but Tsuare was pregnant when Sebas brought her in and Solution aborted and ate the baby. Man i knew Overlord was dark but was not expecting that one.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
rottencorrupt wrote:
So something i didn't realize till someone said it but Tsuare was pregnant when Sebas brought her in and Solution aborted and ate the baby. Man i knew Overlord was dark but was not expecting that one.

Is this something that's in the source novels? Because I don't recall seeing any suggestion of it in last week's or this week's episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rottencorrupt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
rottencorrupt wrote:

Is this something that's in the source novels? Because I don't recall seeing any suggestion of it in last week's or this week's episode.
If you look at the wide pan of her body you can make out a baby bump as well as the fact when Solutions is about to treat her and say that she might devoured her, her hand was a forcipe and in the novel they never said it explicitly either but that she used a tube to suck it out.(You have no idea what it was.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
rottencorrupt wrote:
Key wrote:
rottencorrupt wrote:

If you look at the wide pan of her body you can make out a baby bump as well as the fact when Solutions is about to treat her and say that she might devoured her, her hand was a forcipe and in the novel they never said it explicitly either but that she used a tube to suck it out.(You have no idea what it was.)

I just went back to double check the novels and I didn't see any part about her referring to a baby or using a tube either when she was treating Tsuare or afterwards. She does say "I may devour you before Sebas returns" but that was referring to Tsuare. It's possible that it was a mistranslation but I never saw any discussion referring to this fact before. If I missed something please point out a specific part of the novel and I can check again.

Anyway, ep 7, a little slow as they're still introducing the cast and main plot points for this arc but it should pick up nicely next week. I do like how Ainz keeps getting this surprise announcements sprung on him and his reaction to them, can't keep up his facade all the time heh.
rottencorrupt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
rottencorrupt wrote:
Key wrote:
rottencorrupt wrote:

I just went back to double check the novels and I didn't see any part about her referring to a baby or using a tube either when she was treating Tsuare or afterwards. She does say "I may devour you before Sebas returns" but that was referring to Tsuare. It's possible that it was a mistranslation but I never saw any discussion referring to this fact before. If I missed something please point out a specific part of the novel and I can check again.

Anyway, ep 7, a little slow as they're still introducing the cast and main plot points for this arc but it should pick up nicely next week. I do like how Ainz keeps getting this surprise announcements sprung on him and his reaction to them, can't keep up his facade all the time heh.
Think what people are referring to is the web novel not the light novel but anyways in the anime she 100% has forcipes for a hand and a quick google image search tells you their use

Last edited by rottencorrupt on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I got it as far as the anime, just didn't recall seeing it in the source material. If it's the web novel I don't even remember seeing any of the web novel chapters fan translated, only the light novels, but I'll take your word for it. It fits solution's character.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
rottencorrupt wrote:

There is nothing in the source material to suggest such a thing and keep in mind Maruyama is not shy about writing very dark, horrific deaths,rapes and torture..The anime adaption has sanitized a good deal of the story.

This all stems from the Reddit rumor mill along with other such sites..
In the source material Solution morphs a finger into a syringe to inject Tsuare with a drug to put her to sleep.The anime chose to draw forceps instead and the wild speculations ran wild.

Such an act goes completely against her character;Solution delights in the suffering of her victims,her greatest joy comes from prolonging her food's suffering-how would a fetus accomplish this...
Another point would be the character's loyalty to Sebas,Solution knows Sebas' does not condone her torturing innocents and at this point in the story she is still very loyal to Sebas.

And for another point Solution used a 6th level Heal spell.Those familiar with the Heal spell (former D&D AD&D player here) know that this spell will heal all physical damage(except death). With the use of that spell would assure a baby was very very healthy,so why would Solution go against her character?
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Maybe its cause the books were much denser but i feel like this arc might finish around episode 12 and if its 13 episodes in total that's definitely not enough space for the next arc(neither the op or the ed have the next arc's characters so its even less unlikely). Perhaps there might be a filler last episode? oh well, time will tell. I just can't wait for Sebas Tian to kick butt and look awesome doing it.

I don't think there will be a filler last episode, there's still a lot of content to get through for this arc. I would predict 2 more episodes for book 5, then 4 meaty episodes for book 6.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

You did not miss anything.In neither the light novel nor the web novel was Tsuare pregnant.

This is coming from Reddit and like sites and their wild speculations because the anime choose to draw forceps and not a syringe.

Preforming an unnecessary abortion goes against Solution's character. Not that she has any points in positive karma(she is "evil") but that she would find no enjoyment in preforming such an act,and such an act would be disobeying Sebas.

Edit: As I mentioned before and you should agree,the author is not shy putting horrific imagery into words.After what he did to troll LN readers to a certain person whom the web novel's fanbase saved in a fan poll. Well it should be clear if an abortion happened every "loving" detail would have been described.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Key wrote:
rottencorrupt wrote:

There is nothing in the source material to suggest such a thing and keep in mind Maruyama is not shy about writing very dark, horrific deaths,rapes and torture..The anime adaption has sanitized a good deal of the story.

This all stems from the Reddit rumor mill along with other such sites..
In the source material Solution morphs a finger into a syringe to inject Tsuare with a drug to put her to sleep.The anime chose to draw forceps instead and the wild speculations ran wild.

Such an act goes completely against her character;Solution delights in the suffering of her victims,her greatest joy comes from prolonging her food's suffering-how would a fetus accomplish this...
Another point would be the character's loyalty to Sebas,Solution knows Sebas' does not condone her torturing innocents and at this point in the story she is still very loyal to Sebas.

And for another point Solution used a 6th level Heal spell.Those familiar with the Heal spell (former D&D AD&D player here) know that this spell will heal all physical damage(except death). With the use of that spell would assure a baby was very very healthy,so why would Solution go against her character?

Well, the baby might have already been dead considering the abuse Tsuare went through, and that's assuming there actually was one as I've only read the light novel and there was no mention of it in there at all. Never heard of that theory before reading it here.

Although I don't think Solution is specifically loyal to Sebas. She's loyal to Nazarick and the supreme beings in charge of it and obeys Sebas because he's her superior and was placed in charge of her. But her priorities are doing whatever is best for Nazarick first which is why she disagreed with him several times with how to deal with Tsuare and then eventually reported him as a possible traitor because she believes his actions are contradictory to what is best for Nazarick.

I do agree that she probably wouldn't outright disobey his orders though purely for her own gain. She only indulges herself if given permission, same with Entoma.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 15