• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
Lastly, Goro is MVP. He's actually a decent guy who cares about his friends and his partner and is trying to protect them while still respecting their choices. Why do we have cardboard-kun 2.0 as the protagonist and not this guy? His mora dilemma about Ichigo and Hiro is actually far more refreshing than Hiro's "I wanna be useful even if that hurts me and everyone around me". Seriously, between the edgelord with an inferiority complex, the self destructive cardboard-kun, the stupid brat and the one whose personality seems to revolve around being fat and the guy who's actually trying I'd think the last makes for a more interesting protagonist or at least one I could personally cheer for. I mean, I like Oni but her destructive relatinship with Hiro is kind of old news which is not helped by Hiro being so whatever as a character.

Tl;dr: I don't know if I know what this show is doing but in my heart Goro is the protagonist.
I like Goro too but he's about as one-dimensional as the rest of them. He's just a very, very nice and tolerant guy. That's it. He's very nice and not much more than that. He's very kind to everyone, gets along well with them, and is especially, inhumanly tolerant of his partner's cold treatment of him and her desperate and hopeless quest for Hiro's... great piloting prowess. Wink
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
I like Goro too but he's about as one-dimensional as the rest of them. He's just a very, very nice and tolerant guy. That's it. He's very nice and not much more than that. He's very kind to everyone, gets along well with them, and is especially, inhumanly tolerant of his partner's cold treatment of him and her desperate and hopeless quest for Hiro's... great piloting prowess. Wink

Well, I guess if you're gonna have only one dimension "being a decent guy" is marginally better than "being a self destructive guy" if only because the former has two ways to go: either he remains a nice guy or buckles under the weight and let his morals go away. I say that because the last episode seems to be planting the seeds of a dilemma for him since in one hand he wants to take care of Hiro, his friend, but on the other hand, this hurts Ichigo, his partner (and possible crush). And Ichigo being hurt by it hurts him since he seems to have feelings for her. Being a nice guy means that once he gets put in that situation his suffering will be enourmous.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Anybody else get the feeling that all this is happening within someone's body?

Like the setting itself is inside a human body?

Kind of like Osmosis Jones?

Or Fantastic Voyage?

Or for something more contemporary, Pixar's Inside Out?

Although I think it's closer to Fantastic Voyage, and this is all some kind of elaborate plan where the Adults are external human scientists and doctors working within a body , the klaxosaurs are like a kind of infection they're trying to cure, and the Parasytes are artificially created boy/girl pair children like XY chromosomes or something who are the only things capable of going out there in mechanical Franxx to defeat the infestation?

Certainly the colour scheme of the world being red seems to hint at something going on within a body at a cellular microscopic level.

Zero Two made of klaxo blood is probably intended as a test type of antibiotic. Like maybe all this is to find a cure for some STD or perhaps a 'Children of Men' situation.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a short scene that involves measuring “yellow blood cells”. This stands out starkly because as far as I'm aware, yellow blood cells are not a real thing that occurs in human biology.

If the translation is correct, they could be using the lesser used term for platelets. They play an important roll in blood clotting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:00 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Heh, my own off-the-wall feeling is that we suddenly have a male-pregnancy scenario going on. Seriously, I wouldn't put it past them. Very Happy

I can't recall anyone mentioning this and it's been bugging me for awhile, until I finally remembered that Strelizia (actually Strelitzia) is the name of a florist near me. Smile It's also the genus of the Bird of Paradise flowers. Likewise the other Franxx: Delphinium (larkspur, w/ usually purple or blue flowers), Argentea (species name, cockscomb, w/ red flowers), Genista (French Broom among others, w/ yellow flowers) and Chlorophytum (spider plant, w/ white flowers). I don't know why Genista looks so radically different color-wise from the flowers it's named for.

Also, the governing body (?) of all this is called Mysteltainn, which looks to me like a variant spelling of Mistilteinn (aka, Misteltein or Mystletainn), a legendary sword, and not coincidently I'm sure, the Icelandic word for mistletoe - a poisonous parasitic plant.

I really liked this episode. Lots of puzzling evidence dropped along the way, like Goro's apparent sexual awakening to Ichigo (the urge to touch her, which he finds confusing), the adult authority figures with no faces (or at least no eyes - I know we've seen that before, but it really jumped out at me this episode), the suggested expiration date on the Parasites (although 002's battered partner in the first episode sure looked like an adult to me). I'm also loving that this has no source material because it's a lot of fun reading everyone's unfettered speculations.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
AqWErF
Gina Szanboti wrote:
jdnation wrote:

Heh, my own off-the-wall feeling is that we suddenly have a male-pregnancy scenario going on. Seriously, I wouldn't put it past them. Very Happy

Ah, so Hiro was having morning sickness this episode! It all makes sense now!
Quote:

Also, the governing body (?) of all this is called Mysteltainn, which looks to me like a variant spelling of Mistilteinn (aka, Misteltein or Mystletainn), a legendary sword, and not coincidently I'm sure, the Icelandic word for mistletoe - a poisonous parasitic plant.

I thought Mistilteinn was the place where the pilots live (AKA "The Birdcage"), and that's one of the reason the kids are known as "parasites" (since mistletoe are parasitic)? Is it the name of the governing body as well?
I knew it meant mistletoe, but not that it was also the name of a legendary sword. Cool! I also think alluding to a plant connected a cultural practice of kissing under it when it's used for decoration at Christmas is not a coincidence.
Quote:
I really liked this episode. Lots of puzzling evidence dropped along the way, like Goro's apparent sexual awakening to Ichigo (the urge to touch her, which he finds confusing), the adult authority figures with no faces (or at least no eyes - I know we've seen that before, but it really jumped out at me this episode), the suggested expiration date on the Parasites (although 002's battered partner in the first episode sure looked like an adult to me). I'm also loving that this has no source material because it's a lot of fun reading everyone's unfettered speculations.

The most powerful part of this episode to me was Ichigo and Goro's feelings of helplessness at watching their friend become self destructive, even suicidal, and not being able to do anything to help him. It's a very realistic scenario to watch a loved one make disasterous life choices, often connected to an unhealthy or even abusive relationship or an addictive substance, and feel powerless to help because the friend either refuses to acknowledge how damaging it is, or claims they don't care. In that regard, Ichigo and Goro are in a very relatable place emotionally, and I really felt for them this episode.

I also love Ichigo's response to 002's claim that "Darling belongs to me". Ichigo: "Hiro doesn't belong to anyone!" I cheered for Ichigo (and the writing team) at that line--Ichigo could have easily said something along the lines of "you haven't known Hiro as long as I have," fitting merely into the stereotype of the jealous childhood friend. But despite their messed up upbringing and her own feelings for him which could easily make Ichigo just as possessive as 002, Ichigo really cares about Hiro's best interests for his own sake. She has been working on being able to let him go emotionally/romantically, but she can't stand to see him physically hurt by his chosen partner. Again, very relatable and sympathetic.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
AqWErF

Ok, you've stumped me. Question

Agent355 wrote:
I thought Mistilteinn was the place where the pilots live (AKA "The Birdcage")?

I dunno, that's why I put the '?' mark in there. There was a line, "Mysteltainn's issued a search request for you," which sounded like a higher authority to me, but it's probably just what you said (as well as another kissing reference).
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
AqWErF

Oops! Typo! Embarassed
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Agent355 wrote:
I thought Mistilteinn was the place where the pilots live (AKA "The Birdcage")?

I dunno, that's why I put the '?' mark in there. There was a line, "Mysteltainn's issued a search request for you," which sounded like a higher authority to me, but it's probably just what you said (as well as another kissing reference).

It's probably both what the area is called and what they call the adults who run it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
AqWErF

Oops! Typo! Embarassed

For what? That looks more like a seizure than a typo. Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
AqWErF

Oops! Typo! Embarassed

For what? That looks more like a seizure than a typo. Very Happy

Must've accidently run my finger over the phone's keyboard when I was adjusting the quote tags. Totally didn't notice until after it posted, then was too lazy to edit.

Anyway, on topic, anyone else find it completely creepy that the kids pray to Papa and attribute weather control to him? Sure, Hiro knows that weather is controlled through a mechanical process, but he still thinks Papa cares enough about the details of their life to decide when to make it rain. I doubt Papa gives a flying fig about them. If he's a real person and not just a hologram.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:
Quote:
There's a short scene that involves measuring “yellow blood cells”. This stands out starkly because as far as I'm aware, yellow blood cells are not a real thing that occurs in human biology.
If the translation is correct, they could be using the lesser used term for platelets. They play an important roll in blood clotting.
Do you have a source? I can't find can't find anywhere where platelets are referred to as such (thrombocytes, yes). There is yellow bone marrow but...Anyway, there are no blood cells usually termed "yellow". My guess is that these are related to klaxxosaur blood since they have blue blood which is the color of the growth on Hiro. The presence of foreign protein in the blood would also cause a massive fever.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
Agent355, I'm guessing Papa is an AI that runs the Plantation, sort of like Mother was the AI that ran the ship in Alien.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Agent355, I'm guessing Papa is an AI that runs the Plantation, sort of like Mother was the AI that ran the ship in Alien.

Very probably. But I doubt the kids, or even the adults closest to the kids, realize this. The revelation might be the turning point of the show to get the kids to fight the power!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
Agent355 Wrote:
Quote:
The revelation might be the turning point of the show to get the kids to fight the power!

Remember the "city" that 002 showed Hiro in (I think) the second episode? That would contain many thousand people. A successful revolt would probably involve the destruction of that city, a rather fearful price. Perhaps karma for forcing others do your fighting, but still. Even if they simply ran away as 002 suggested (assuming there is anywhere on Earth to run) it would have severe consequences as the entire plantation would be left unprotected.

Another possibility is that all the "people" in the city are simply AIs or copies of people long dead. This would have all of the live humans remaining being forced to support (and die for) a system that failed a long time ago. This still raises the question that if they destroy the system where can they go for a viable future.

Somehow I get the feeling of a "no where to run" ending coming up.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
^ Also, the Plantation itself seems to be a sort of ark carrying what little is left from the natural world before whatever happened to it that turned it into a wasteland. I mean, if you've reached the point where the planet doesn't have any oceans anymore, you've *really* screwed some stuff up. If the Plantation is destroyed, the species of creatures it houses would be, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 124