• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 of Anime's Worst Sore Losers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
I don't know why you waited but Thank You for getting it and not being an outright anti-vaxxer. Vaccination is very important and isn't just about your own health: Babies, the sick, and some people for health reasons, can't get vaccinated and are very vulnerable to preventable diseases, which can be spread even by people who are not affected themselves.
The flu vaccine's enough of a crapshoot that less than half of people can be bothered to get it. It's got nothing to do with being an anti-vaxxer.
Ralph Snackshi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
Ralph Snackshi wrote:
Also I'd love to see a NA release of Mai Mai Miracle. Why on earth hasn't that happened already?

The UK release is region-free (because it's also the Kickstarter release).

Thanks for pointing that out, my bad. I guess I didn't look closely enough at the product details.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
CandisWhite wrote:
I don't know why you waited but Thank You for getting it and not being an outright anti-vaxxer. Vaccination is very important and isn't just about your own health: Babies, the sick, and some people for health reasons, can't get vaccinated and are very vulnerable to preventable diseases, which can be spread even by people who are not affected themselves.
The flu vaccine's enough of a crapshoot that less than half of people can be bothered to get it. It's got nothing to do with being an anti-vaxxer.
Vaccinations are necessary for most of the population because it prevents the spread of disease, with herd immunity, and makes people who DO still get sick have a less rough go of it.

Even people who "never get sick" need to be immunized because the germs you carry can be transferred to someone vulnerable. No, choosing to skip because "never sick" doesn't make someone socially equivalent to a hipster or a libertarian railing about "poison" or "the guvment" and trying to stamp immunization out but it does make them physically the same because they still don't have the shots, the immunity.

There are PSAs everywhere (print, radio, tv, online) asking, begging, people to get vaccinated. The University of Alberta hospital, a world class facility, has ads plastered across the whole place reminding people to get their shots; The City of Edmonton has flu clinics EVERYWHERE and the Province of Alberta covers domestic vaccinations (not malaria, etc).

Please, talk to your doctor about vaccination; He/she will tell you how important it is, for all of society.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Seeing how Cell was trying to blow up the Earth,

Which that in of itself isn't even original as Vegeta threatened to do the same thing after Goku started roughing him up in their first fight.

Animegomaniac wrote:

But it's very hard to take Beerua seriously as a poor loser when you compare him to Gods from mythology; Did he turn Kai into a croquet ball? No, he lost his planet so he got off easy.

I wouldn't call losing property that you clearly care about getting off "easily" but okay.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:07 am Reply with quote
I voted for Evangelion myself, but Monster and Hajime no Ippo would be close after. Also, someone recently put Fruits Basket on the poll even though it is licensed by Funi.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
As to an earlier post, Cell didn't know for a fact that he would regenerate from a complete self-destruct. In fact, there must have been exactly only one cell or one bit of Cell left or else there would have been a lot of regenerated Cells running around.

Oh, was he unaware of it prior?

I actually took Cell's super-regeneration to be something of an improved version of Piccolo's: He can regenerate from a single cell (hence his name, I guess), but he cannot make multiple copies of himself. Rather, they either sprout from a single piece, or the pieces combine together to reform into a whole (and then he sprouts any pieces he cannot find). The Cell Jr. technique came across to me as something different.

CandisWhite wrote:
Vaccinations are necessary for most of the population because it prevents the spread of disease, with herd immunity, and makes people who DO still get sick have a less rough go of it.

Even people who "never get sick" need to be immunized because the germs you carry can be transferred to someone vulnerable. No, choosing to skip because "never sick" doesn't make someone socially equivalent to a hipster or a libertarian railing about "poison" or "the guvment" and trying to stamp immunization out but it does make them physically the same because they still don't have the shots, the immunity.

There are PSAs everywhere (print, radio, tv, online) asking, begging, people to get vaccinated. The University of Alberta hospital, a world class facility, has ads plastered across the whole place reminding people to get their shots; The City of Edmonton has flu clinics EVERYWHERE and the Province of Alberta covers domestic vaccinations (not malaria, etc).

Please, talk to your doctor about vaccination; He/she will tell you how important it is, for all of society.

The perspective from a Canadian is quite different from the perspective of someone in the United States. You guys in Canada get free universal healthcare, so there is no financial impact to getting vaccinated, and it sounds like the procedure to get vaccinated is quite clean and simple. It's not like that in the USA: Our healthcare is completely privatized (and you'll have plenty of ordinary citizens ready to fight to the death to keep it privatized), meaning you'll have to pay for your vaccinations, if not out of pocket, then at least via health insurance. And it can take quite a while to get vaccinated (some of my mom's friends spent weeks on a waiting list, especially around now when Influenca A, Subtype H2N3 and an Influenza B whose subtype I don't know are running wild around the northern hemisphere).

This is why you have those cases you might hear about where someone who is gravely injured will tell people around them not to call 9-1-1 or for an ambulance: Because they will be billed for it, and they might not necessarily be able to afford it.

(Though in my case, my father was convinced all vaccinations are permanent and thought I had been vaccinated for everything there could be a vaccine for by the time I was 5 years old, so I was vaccinated like crazy when I was very young, then he stopped entirely. It made him come off as an anti-vaxxer, especially in today's context, but he was just ignorant about it, and amazingly stubborn and prideful of it. Then, later in life, he grew a deep hatred of medical help as he found it humiliating to have to receive medical help, and as a result, none of us in the household saw the doctor for anything until shortly before he passed away. I haven't gotten a vaccine for anything recently except for tetanus, and I can't find my immunization records as my father had kept them for himself and hid them from me. I currently have a few health problems that doctors I've visited cannot figure out, and needless to say, I rather resent my father because I know that had I been allowed to see a doctor when these problems were new and mild, they might have been able to do something about it.)
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:

And there were too many second-place choices for me: Rune Soldier, Paranoia Agent, Roujin Z (I have a UK Blu of this one), End of Evangelion, Witch Hunter Robin.

Witch Hunter Robin was licensed some time ago by Funimation, but hasn't been released yet:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-10/funimation-adds-code-geass-tales-of-the-abyss-witch-hunter-robin-more

Quote:
To which I'd add Vandread, The Wallflower, Welcome to the NHK, Mahoromatic, and the original Last Exile.

All of those titles appear to be licensed for at least streaming, and in a quick check, both Vandread and Last Exile appear to be readily available on reasonably priced home media.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:51 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The perspective from a Canadian is quite different from the perspective of someone in the United States. You guys in Canada get free universal healthcare, so there is no financial impact to getting vaccinated, and it sounds like the procedure to get vaccinated is quite clean and simple. It's not like that in the USA: Our healthcare is completely privatized (and you'll have plenty of ordinary citizens ready to fight to the death to keep it privatized), meaning you'll have to pay for your vaccinations, if not out of pocket, then at least via health insurance. And it can take quite a while to get vaccinated (some of my mom's friends spent weeks on a waiting list, especially around now when Influenca A, Subtype H2N3 and an Influenza B whose subtype I don't know are running wild around the northern hemisphere).

This is why you have those cases you might hear about where someone who is gravely injured will tell people around them not to call 9-1-1 or for an ambulance: Because they will be billed for it, and they might not necessarily be able to afford it.

(Though in my case, my father was convinced all vaccinations are permanent and thought I had been vaccinated for everything there could be a vaccine for by the time I was 5 years old, so I was vaccinated like crazy when I was very young, then he stopped entirely. It made him come off as an anti-vaxxer, especially in today's context, but he was just ignorant about it, and amazingly stubborn and prideful of it. Then, later in life, he grew a deep hatred of medical help as he found it humiliating to have to receive medical help, and as a result, none of us in the household saw the doctor for anything until shortly before he passed away. I haven't gotten a vaccine for anything recently except for tetanus, and I can't find my immunization records as my father had kept them for himself and hid them from me. I currently have a few health problems that doctors I've visited cannot figure out, and needless to say, I rather resent my father because I know that had I been allowed to see a doctor when these problems were new and mild, they might have been able to do something about it.)

Damn that's harsh all I can say about that.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
Someone should rescue "Rave Master" because I resorted to watching most of the series dubbed on pirating sites. Also, if Funi could finally license the "Fairy Tail" OVAs.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:20 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

Once again local differences in the U.S. arise. Here, as soon as the year's Flu vaccine comes out, the local drug stores start advertising. My wife and I walked into our local pharmacy last fall and got the flu shot. We went when they were not busy and it took all of 15 minutes. No standing in line no wait lists and no cost as we do have health insurance.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
why is re:zero on the poll? it's a little early to call this one in need of license rescue

for my part I picked Gosick novels, but really anything Tokyopop released is in need
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:20 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

Once again local differences in the U.S. arise. Here, as soon as the year's Flu vaccine comes out, the local drug stores start advertising. My wife and I walked into our local pharmacy last fall and got the flu shot. We went when they were not busy and it took all of 15 minutes. No standing in line no wait lists and no cost as we do have health insurance.

Yeah, from what I'm reading, southern California, where I live, has been hit the hardest by this current flu season. The pharmacies and emergency rooms are overwhelmed, as are the pharmacists and doctors with long lines of sick people waiting for them to help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4