• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces the Nominees for Its 2nd Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
It is the combination of factors that make the political correctness feel heavy handed. The responses saying that less guys on the hero nominee list is a sign of progress would mean that peak progress would be achieved by having 0 guys on the hero nominee list. Also Kukuri being on the hero nominee list but not Chtholly is simply wrong ... okay that might just be an opinion.

Has anyone said that having less guys is progress? It's just that anime has a lot of females and more specifically a lot of females in action roles. As for "combination of factors"... you have a lot of gay in one category, that's about it.

As for Kukuri, I'll agree her inclusion there is damn weird, while she was nice and a little selfless her priorities were still her personal quest and her crush on the so-named "Hero" (who was even less heroic than her).

Nanachi is even worse. Sure she was a savior for the main characters but her actions and general outlook aren't even close, her demeanor is all about self-preservation and assurance. Reg was more of a hero, even trying to save some random guy against his best interest (and against Nanachi's judgement while we're at it).
Buuut it just so happens that Nanachi is insanely popular and for whatever reason they didn't feel comfortable putting her in the "best girl" category.
Glitterfiend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Buuut it just so happens that Nanachi is insanely popular and for whatever reason they didn't feel comfortable putting her in the "best girl" category.

It might be because we don't really know if Nanachi is female, we can only assume. My friend uses male pronouns for this character, me and my boyfriend on the other hand call Nanachi a "she".
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The responses saying that less guys on the hero nominee list is a sign of progress would mean that peak progress would be achieved by having 0 guys on the hero nominee list.
As a huge fan of cute girls doing cute things and all female cast shows I'm okay with that.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
They could've had a "best genderfluid" category and included Nanachi and all the Gem-friends from Land of the Lustrous!
I'm mostly confused at how little Attack on Titan 2 is nominated. No Beast Titan (or anyone else) for best villain, no Ymir or Christa for best girl, etc. It's too bad they don't have a "best couple" category, because Ymir/Christa could give, say, Reg/Riko, Phos/Cinnabar and/or (yuck, imho) Elias/Chise a run for their money.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
How on Earth did you not notice that every title on the manga list debuted in English in 2017?

I don't follow American releases. Regardless, that is not listed as a requirement on the award site, and we have other series which are older like Attack on Titan and Boku no Hero Academia up for voting.

Agent355 wrote:
I've heard great things about Lonliness and would challenge anyone to explain how one of the most popular graphic novels on Amazon, which has been getting reviews from people outside the manga bubble, was chosen "just because" it's "PC" (read: about a lesbian's personal experience)

I believe you just did. You value what non-manga fans say about it, as if their word means more than mere manga fans. Something like Hero Academia can sell 700,000 to manga fans, but if a series sells a couple thousand to people outside the manga bubble its apparently more valuable.

-Stuart Smith
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Nanachi is even worse. Sure she was a savior for the main characters but her actions and general outlook aren't even close, her demeanor is all about self-preservation and assurance. Reg was more of a hero, even trying to save some random guy against his best interest (and against Nanachi's judgement while we're at it).

Yeah, was very confused by this pick especially. All of the Heroes, other than Deku and the YuYuYu girl, actually, are questionable choices, but Reg was a very obviously heroic character in MiA, while Nanachi was not. Really would have liked to see Reg there. And I also agree with you that having multiple MHA characters in Best Boy and Best Girl is dumb.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

I believe you just did. You value what non-manga fans say about it, as if their word means more than mere manga fans. Something like Hero Academia can sell 700,000 to manga fans, but if a series sells a couple thousand to people outside the manga bubble its apparently more valuable.

-Stuart Smith

Not more than manga fans, in addition to manga fans--as I mentioned before, I've followed most of the manga judges' critiques for years, they read and review mainstream stuff as well as indie stuff. Golden Kamuy and Delicious in Dungeon are mainstream. In This Corner of the World and Rakugo Shinju are more obscure, but both have well received anime adaptations that premiered in the past year or so. Loneliness and My Brother's Husband are both indie. That indicates a range to me, considering the limitation of a single category. If they had more categories (best ongoing, best shonen, best shojo, etc) they'd include an even bigger range.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8