• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces the Nominees for Its 2nd Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
My problem will be with the best boy and girl categories. MHA has good character writing, but if these awards are supposed to be serious, the characters from Showa Genroku and Scum's Wish should have been included in the best boy and girl nominations.

I thought it was supposed to be more of a waifu/husbando category.
But then again, even in those MHA has no business dominating that much when tehre are so many shows entirely dedicated to that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
Silly me just noticed that Yakumo is actually nominated for best boy. Still, there are no Scum's Wish characters nominated.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
See, I think I disagree, because
1. stories like Lesbian Experience... and My Brother's Husband have been well received by critics
2. The above, Lesbian in particular, have been surprisingly popular. I think a lot of manga and anime fans, as well as people who wouldn't normally read manga, have found Lesbian a refreshing and interesting, as well as like, identifiable read. I think it's indicating a change in what readers want. Like, translation companies are realising that a fair chunk of readers want something more meaningful than insert shounen jump action series.
3. personally I don't know that Dungeon Meshi is even particularly popular idk

The matter regarding Lesbian/Brother's Husband seems fairly obvious. They're the progressive choices. They're not popular, but for critics who value that stuff over all else, they'll push for those. You see it all the time in western critic awards.

I find the biggest suspect being the lack of MHA in the manga category. It's in so many categories (and rightfully so) but somehow not the manga category, which is the original, biggest source material? Odd, to say the very least. I could forgive them for shutting other other big titles that also have no reputation in other categories like One Piece, Haikyu, or Boruto, but they are clearly aware of MHA and its beloved status. It's like they wanted to make sure that specific category wouldn't have an obvious winner, in hopes the 'right' choices were more likely to win.

-Stuart Smith
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I find the biggest suspect being the lack of MHA in the manga category. It's in so many categories (and rightfully so) but somehow not the manga category, which is the original, biggest source material? Odd, to say the very least. I could forgive them for shutting other other big titles that also have no reputation in other categories like One Piece, Haikyu, or Boruto, but they are clearly aware of MHA and its beloved status. It's like they wanted to make sure that specific category wouldn't have an obvious winner, in hopes the 'right' choices were more likely to win.

How on Earth did you not notice that every title on the manga list debuted in English in 2017?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@Chrono1000 Again with going on about political correctness. What are you basing that on? The shows that have been chosen by anime critics, for these awards and on this site, largely line up with user opinion, both on this site an others, and all the choices for best are well rated and well regarded by fans.
To be fair I don't want to comment on something I haven't read/watched but saying that it is popular among critics is different than saying it is popular among fans. On average I buy about 1.5 manga per month so it is not a surprise that the nominee list for manga would be different than my interests (fantasy and scifi) but it is so politically correct that it looks like it was assigned by a college professor.

zrnzle500 wrote:
I would like you to consider the possibility that perhaps the critics (and other viewers!) have a different opinion than you on various shows, not because they are being “politically correct”, but because you and them just have different tastes and rate those shows accordingly. I honestly don’t think continuing this argument will be very productive, so I’ll leave it at that.
A difference in opinion is part of it. Also another awards show in Los Angeles that is decided by critics but is treated by people who agree with it as an indicator of popularity just brings out my cynical side.

Yuvelir wrote:
Some people are easily triggered by anything that might be slightly progressive, so the manga category having "lesbian" in one title and "brother's husband" in another probably set a few red flags. And the "hero" category, term than in the past was almost male-exclusive, being dominated by females just set some more.
That's my best theory.
The manga nominee list has 3 LGBT relationships and 1 heterosexual relationship while the hero nominee list has only 1 guy on it and I doubt that is pure coincidence. As much as I like Pure Illusion the progress was a bit heavy this year and I can only imagine how far it will go next year.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big manga reader, and most of the manga judges are critics I've heard of and have been following reviews from for years. So far, I've only read Golden Kamuy from the nominations list, which is pretty mainstream, popular, and can't be accused of having a "PC agenda" by even the most cynical fan.
My biggest problem with the manga category is that it's only one category, and it doesn't distinguish between completed series/one shots like Loneliness and ongoing series like Golden Kamuy. I've heard great things about Lonliness and would challenge anyone to explain how one of the most popular graphic novels on Amazon, which has been getting reviews from people outside the manga bubble, was chosen "just because" it's "PC" (read: about a lesbian's personal experience). But even if I read all the nominations before the voting date, how can I compare a memoir one-shot like Loneliness to a long running seinen like Kamuy? Or a fantasy series like Delicious in Dungeon? They're all different genres of different lengths. Crunchyroll should do a separate manga awards.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Looking through all of the nominations again, I guess my biggest problem would be the number of spots that MHA has.

The only award I thought it was weird to see it popup was the Best Opening one. I feel like every other it's running for is well earned.

I agree that it deserves them all, generally, but I still think there needs to be a cap regardless. And I can think of other shows that deserve a few of those spots as well. I was fine with MiA not being in best animation because I briefly thought there might be some kind of cap initiated and it already had 5 nominations, but then I counted MHA and it has 10!. Regardless of how good something is, I think there should be an attempt to expand the potential winners a little more than that, is all. And yeah, I know all the MHA fans will think I just hate the show(I actually really love it) and that this is perfectly fair, but many of them were the same people who were decrying the lack of justice last year when Yuri on Ice won 7 categories. Rolling Eyes
And there will be some level of outcry and this exact same problem every year that a single show wins the a significant number of categories.

Yuvelir wrote:

I thought it was supposed to be more of a waifu/husbando category.
But then again, even in those MHA has no business dominating that much when tehre are so many shows entirely dedicated to that.

If they were going for "I want to date this character" awards, they failed there too though. Outside of MoriMori and maybe Chise, none of the "Best Girl" nominees are really dateable at all.
And the "Best Boy" nominees only have a couple that are kinda dateable too.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
So on the one hand, nominating a popular show in a lot of categories is bad, at least as long as it's "fujoshi bait" like YOI (which automatically equals low quality, of course...), but on the other, hand nominating a series which isn't popular is also bad and "too PC", at least if it features LGBT characters? Rolling Eyes
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
^It's also "too PC" to have more girls than boys in the hero category, which someone should have told Miyazaki decades ago! Wink
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The manga nominee list has 3 LGBT relationships and 1 heterosexual relationship while the hero nominee list has only 1 guy on it and I doubt that is pure coincidence. As much as I like Pure Illusion the progress was a bit heavy this year and I can only imagine how far it will go next year.

So you're suspicious of the priorities of critics because you have one category with a lot of gay and one category with a majority of girls (which I must remind again, nowadays we have more noteworthy female heroes than male ones). Two categories. Out of 17.

(and as an aside, there isn't a lesbian relationship in Loneliness, there's just an intercourse... if we can even call it that. The gross of the story is about something else altogether)

relyat08 wrote:
If they were going for "I want to date this character" awards, they failed there too though. Outside of MoriMori and maybe Chise, none of the "Best Girl" nominees are really dateable at all.
And the "Best Boy" nominees only have a couple that are kinda dateable too.

Waifu means a lot of things nowadays!
Anyway, my point was that how the characters are written isn't what matters but rather how... endearing they are, specially on the female side.

Either way, I also don't buy that there weren't good enough males and females to fill in both categories that MHA needed to double dip in those two categories. It's cheap and blatant favoritism.
Okya subaru-san-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see detective conan in the list of "best continuing series " Very Happy
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
The current trend in certain political circles is to dismiss the social commentary inherent to almost all stories, and works of art in general, as "PC." This kills two birds with one stone by letting them feel superior to critics/intellectuals, and supporting their (unstated? subconscious?) beliefs about how the world should be.

Whether you like it or not, pushing boundaries and making controversial statements has always been an essential part of artistic expression. Like anything else, it can be done badly, but when done well it earns praise... from some people, and scorn from others, for exactly the same reasons.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Todoroki and Deku are just that great and same for Tsuyu and Uravity. I'd be hard pressed to find that many suitable best other then them. Maybe Kotaro and Eita from Tsukigakirei and Just Because!. But they are less best then them.

In the end it's good for the other nominees of both these categories. It will split the MHA votes. Giving them more of a chance and all.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Todoroki and Deku are just that great and same for Tsuyu and Uravity. I'd be hard pressed to find that many suitable best other then them. Maybe Kotaro and Eita from Tsukigakirei and Just Because!. But they are less best then them.

In the end it's good for the other nominees of both these categories. It will split the MHA votes. Giving them more of a chance and all.

I don't know the exact criteria for those categories so I can't say for sure, but I can definitely name both better developed and more endearing characters than Tsuyu and Midoriya-shounen from the series I've watched this year.
More popular might be harder for Todoroki and Midoriya, but definitely not for Tsuyu.

Not all stories are the same genre but all stories do have characters and most of them also happen to be beings that can be identified as male or female. The pool of possible characters is HUGE, enough that you can easily fill a list of 6 notable characters of one specific gender.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
So on the one hand, nominating a popular show in a lot of categories is bad, at least as long as it's "fujoshi bait" like YOI (which automatically equals low quality, of course...), but on the other, hand nominating a series which isn't popular is also bad and "too PC", at least if it features LGBT characters? Rolling Eyes
You are responding to several different people in your post. I haven't said anything about the anime awards from last year since I didn't pay any attention to them and only heard about them after the awards were announced. Also just a few weeks ago I posted my top 5 anime of 2017 which included Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

Agent355 wrote:
^It's also "too PC" to have more girls than boys in the hero category, which someone should have told Miyazaki decades ago! Wink
It is the combination of factors that make the political correctness feel heavy handed. The responses saying that less guys on the hero nominee list is a sign of progress would mean that peak progress would be achieved by having 0 guys on the hero nominee list. Also Kukuri being on the hero nominee list but not Chtholly is simply wrong ... okay that might just be an opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8