• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces the Nominees for Its 2nd Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The actual nominations seem well chosen to me. All the shows that critics and fans have considered the best of 2017 are present. I also think My Hero Academia could win in several categories. I would like to see Made in Abyss win Anime of the Year.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
So, how can Zac Bertschy be a judge? Doesn't he watch like 5 anime series a year?

I watched something like 30-35 new shows last year plus about 10 films in addition to the classic/older stuff I watched for podcasts and for funsies. I would say anime makes up a little less than half of all the entertainment I consume in a year, maybe 40%.

Your perception of me is incorrect. It's true I don't write very much for ANN - my job is to manage our editorial content, which is mostly planning and emails. I don't spam social media with takes on everything I lay my eyes on either - most of the time, I'm watching stuff so I can come up with angles for editorial coverage and assign those pitches to freelance writers. My personal opinion of the show is largely irrelevant when it comes to planning that kind of material.

Most of my takes you can hear on the podcast, but even then, if I don't feel like I have anything of value to say about something I saw, I generally don't comment. Which is true for a lot more stuff as I get older.

Hopefully that clarified a little about who I am and what I do here. I watch a hell of a lot more than 5 anime series a year, brother.

Last edited by Zac on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
That is definitely a list made by critics and it is so politically correct that I wasn't even surprised when I noticed that there was only one guy in the nominee list for hero of the year..

Maybe people just don't find harem leads from My Dad Got Remarried to the Queen of Narnia and Now My Step-Sisters Keep Trying to Trap Me in Wardrobes light novel adaptations "heroic" anymore.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
@Zac

I was convinced that you only watched 2-3 anime shows per season. But I clearly underestimated the amount of anime you watch; 30-35 series and 10 movies a year is a very respectable amount. I actually like your works as an anime critic.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@Chrono1000 Can we not make everything about political correctness? As you said the nominations were made by critics and looks like it, so I don't see why you need to qualify the nominations as anything but critically acclaimed, generally speaking. What criteria it would need to meet for you to be satisfied, if neither popularity and critical acclaim are sufficient - unless I am misreading you comment and you want a pure popularity contest? I will refrain from putting words in your mouth to say what criteria would be left if popularity and critical acclaim are not valid criteria for such a contest.
I would prefer that political correctness not be an issue but that nominee list for hero of the year has only one male hero. That just seems a bit more than a coincidence. And when it comes to preselection in online polls it is done to narrow the range of choices.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
@Chrono1000 Can we not make everything about political correctness? As you said the nominations were made by critics and looks like it, so I don't see why you need to qualify the nominations as anything but critically acclaimed, generally speaking. What criteria it would need to meet for you to be satisfied, if neither popularity and critical acclaim are sufficient - unless I am misreading you comment and you want a pure popularity contest? I will refrain from putting words in your mouth to say what criteria would be left if popularity and critical acclaim are not valid criteria for such a contest.
I would prefer that political correctness not be an issue but that nominee list for hero of the year has only one male hero. That just seems a bit more than a coincidence. And when it comes to preselection in online polls it is done to narrow the range of choices.

Nanachi was never specified as a male or female. So he or she is technically unspecified.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@Zac

I was convinced that you only watched 2-3 anime shows per season. But I clearly underestimated the amount of anime you watch; 30-35 series and 10 movies a year is a very respectable amount. I actually like your works as an anime critic.

Hey, thanks for saying that. Sometimes it only is 2-3 shows per season - but the rest of that time I'm catching up, binge-watching last season's stuff or going through older stuff for the podcast. If I were smarter I'd spend a lot more time watching stuff week-to-week; it would mean less binging later.

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
@Chrono1000 In a similar vein to what BodaciousSpacePirate said, I have no reason to believe that the gender composition of the hero category is based on "political correctness" and not what the critics found to be well written and/or compelling heroic characters. Which characters would you choose over the nominees for the hero category? That might make the merits of your argument more clear.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Anime of the Year
Yuri on Ice

Manga of the Year
Yuri on Ice

Best Action
Yuri on Ice

Best Drama
Yuri on Ice

Best Comedy
Yuri on Ice

Best Slice of Life
Yuri on Ice

Best Continuing Series
Yuri on Ice

Best Animation
Yuri on Ice

Hero of the Year
Yuri (Yuri on Ice)

Villain of the Year
Leafy is Here (Yuri on Ice)

Best Opening
"History Maker" (Yuri on Ice)

Best Ending
You Only Live Once (Yuri on Ice)

Best Boy
Yuri (Yuri on Ice)

Best Girl
Yuri on Ice

Best Film
Yuri on Ice

Best CGI
Yuri on Ice

Best Score

Made in Abyss Very Happy (I can't lie even as a joke)
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Nanachi was never specified as a male or female. So he or she is technically unspecified.
For a general discussion that would be a touche moment but at least on the original Crunchyroll poll Nanachi was listed as a nominee for best girl. That they quickly corrected that only makes me more suspicious about this poll.
MF65

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm having fun seeing all these hypocrite comments going on and on about how Yuri on Ice winning was "SO unfair!!!!" but BnHA or MiA are gonna win every category they're nominated for and "OMG! It totally deserves it!!!". I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the same thing? The most popular show(s) win the popularity contest?!
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:
I'm having fun seeing all these hypocrite comments going on and on about how Yuri on Ice winning was "SO unfair!!!!" but BnHA or MiA are gonna win every category they're nominated for and "OMG! It totally deserves it!!!". I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the same thing? The most popular show(s) win the popularity contest?!

That's the issue with making some type of award show. The anime that everyone watched will be the only things that win. Lesser things that deserve more love won't. Then again, I have no idea how the crappy villain from Erased won over Yoshikage freaking Kira last year!

If the Crunchyroll Awards were around in 2002, we'd be seeing Naruto win everything while Princess Tutu and Kino's Journey remain underappreciated.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I know that The Promised Neverland had a late release last year but I still feel like it deserved the nomination over some like In This Corner of the World. I also feel like MAN WITH A MISSION - My Hero deserved a nod for best opening, but hey what can do you? The judge's clear have shit taste.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Came to the thread for the inevitable aggrieved whining and was not disappointed.

What’s interesting to me is the list of judges, because far from being the same group of people you usually see again and again in the ANN sphere, Crunchyroll seems to have gone out of their way to bring in critics, reviewers, podcasters, and bloggers from all over the world, which only makes sense given their global reach. Seriously, go look at the list. You’ve probably heard of maybe 1 or 2 people other than Zac. And I think that’s really cool.

That said, Eromanga-sensei wuz robbed.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
That said, Eromanga-sensei wuz robbed.

It is an underappreciated masterpiece after all. At the very least, it's an entertaining Otaku-geared anime that doesn't try to be anything more, but remains more amusing than most.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8