• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces the Nominees for Its 2nd Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree with relyat08 about the animation on Made in Abyss - I was completely blown away. I a little suprised Blame! wasn't anywhere, but maybe its status as a movie puts it out of the CGI competition. Or maybe it is an older movie than I remember.
I would totally classify Degurechaff as both a villain and, ehm, best girl.
Land of the Lustrous is a recent view for me, and I am still in a daze about it, so I totally vote for it in various things.
I thought the BBB&B OP was very good, but I haven't seen all of the selections it would compete with so I can't complain.
And now I can't get the ED to Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 2 out of my head, though that isn't a bad thing.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
How the hell did Fate/Apocrypha not make it in Best Animation category but My Hero Academia did?

Edit: They even included A Silent Voice? They can't be serious. How is that fair for the other TV series listed there?

Because Fate/Apocrypha doesn't deserve Best Animation when its animation was subpar for most of the series.

It is very unfair to put a movie in with tv shows. I don't know what they were thinking but that s just stupid. Let's compare a 2 hour movie with a bigger budget and production time to a 6 hour or more show with a smaller budget and significantly less production time.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Obviously as an awards show and in light of last year’s results, this year’s results will have to be taken with a grain of salt, as it is ultimately a popularity contest.

Maybe they should try doing it the other way around--nominate the top ~5 by mass vote, and then have the judges pick out of those options. Then the popular shows would get some recognition but wouldn't just win across the board (in this case I predict My Hero Academia will win in every category it's nominated for).

Of course, then you'd have people mad that the popular show didn't win. These things are always a bit of a catch-22. I don't really see the point of trying to rank unrelated art productions, since ultimately it's going to be biased and subjective no matter what you do, but everyone loves a contest.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope they do a better job of informing people on how to vote this time around. Last year Yoshikage Kira won best villain on the Twitter poll, and people thought that was how they voted, so they didn't vote on the proper page, and the guy from Erased won.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope they do a better job of informing people on how to vote this time around. Last year Yoshikage Kira won best villain on the Twitter poll, and people thought that was how they voted, so they didn't vote on the proper page, and the guy from Erased won.

At least both of those are decently written villains.
Unlike the guy fron Kabaneri that was nominated longside them lol
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
That is definitely a list made by critics and it is so politically correct that I wasn't even surprised when I noticed that there was only one guy in the nominee list for hero of the year. Safe politically correct choices with a few popular shows included to make sure that people are interested in how it goes. Also I take these kinds of online polls with a grain of salt since they are just numbers on a computer and objectivity in a poll requires that a company will accept what is most popular.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
@angelmcazares I'm comfortable with Zac being a judge because he spends so much time within the community and spends time watching and reading and listening to a lot of other critics, like the guys from Sakugablog, Jacob, etc, who absolutely know what they are talking about.

So what. I listen to the Giant Bombcast every week, but I don't play video games anymore. If I was chosen to judge video games I would be a terrible choice.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a Kobayashi fan but I was wondering why there's no Kobayashi girls in the Best Girl list. I was like "I bet it's because they could only list one girl and couldn't decide", but then I saw the comment about MHA having two entries in the Best Girls category and I'm like ?????
I'm sure I could find more issues to have with the awards but to be honest I have such little expectations of it being any good any way I'm finding it hard to care enough
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I can already smell the MHA domination. It's very well deserved. That Yutapon cut will make it win best animation for sure. Very nice. Shame BLAME! didn't get a nomination for the best CG. Nothing came close to it in 2017.

Now...Froppy or Uravity for best girl....dear lord that's difficult.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
@angelmcazares I'm comfortable with Zac being a judge because he spends so much time within the community and spends time watching and reading and listening to a lot of other critics, like the guys from Sakugablog, Jacob, etc, who absolutely know what they are talking about.
His taste is also really good, in my opinion, but that's just me. Laughing

This logic makes absolutely zero sense to me. Talking to people about something , reading what other people say is NOT the same as actually watching it. I don't have a right to judge who the best dancer on Dancing with the Stars is just because I read a few facebook posts about it, for example. And I very much disagree about specific people "absolutely" knowing what they talk about - very often on this site.

I also still disagree that March Comes in Like a Lion S2 should be on there, because it's not over. People don't review half a movie, so rating half a series is a bit odd to me. However, it is fantastic. I'll give my vote Made In Abyss
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
No Magane or Altair in the Best Villains list is the main omission that stands out to me.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Obviously as an awards show and in light of last year’s results, this year’s results will have to be taken with a grain of salt, as it is ultimately a popularity contest.

Maybe they should try doing it the other way around--nominate the top ~5 by mass vote, and then have the judges pick out of those options. Then the popular shows would get some recognition but wouldn't just win across the board (in this case I predict My Hero Academia will win in every category it's nominated for).

Of course, then you'd have people mad that the popular show didn't win. These things are always a bit of a catch-22. I don't really see the point of trying to rank unrelated art productions, since ultimately it's going to be biased and subjective no matter what you do, but everyone loves a contest.

I actually prefer the way they are doing it. Leaving the ultimate winner up to popular vote would by nature be a popularity contest, but it is also the most democratic method, and one which I think fans would most likely accept. As long as they make good nominations such that most people find them to be reasonable choices for the best in their respective category, and not just most popular, I don't have an issue with the system, even if one needs to remember that it is still a popularity contest, ultimately.

@Chrono1000 Can we not make everything about political correctness? As you said the nominations were made by critics and looks like it, so I don't see why you need to qualify the nominations as anything but critically acclaimed, generally speaking. What criteria would it need to meet for you to be satisfied, if neither popularity and critical acclaim are sufficient - unless I am misreading you comment and you want a pure popularity contest? I will refrain from putting words in your mouth to say what criteria would be left if popularity and critical acclaim are not valid criteria for such a contest.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
The real problem here is that March comes in like a lion Season 2 alongside other anime that haven't finished are nominated.
I mean, wouldn't those go for next year? Or do they all get a second chance at the "continuing series" category?

This. I don't think on-going anime should be considered. Also movies that came out last year shouldn't count. So the movies should just Kizumonogatari III: Reiketsu-hen and
Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel - I. Presage Flower

But the results of this are obvious anyway. This is a popularity contest. And the vast majority of people are casuals that barely watch anime. Most have watched My Hero Academia Season 2, though. So that will win most of it. They skip out true masterpiece anime like Rakugo and Made in Abyss (which to be fair, double-pay wall was BS), but all the casuals watched My Hero Academia Season 2. It will. These awards are pointless when it's just a popularity contest.

Total Ratings on MAL:
My Hero Academia Season 2 - 259,027
Made in Abyss - 112,314
Little Witch Academia - 76,392
Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū Season 2 - 23,561
March Comes in Like a Lion S2 - 10,265

Average scores:

8.91 for MIA
8.87 for March
8.87 Rakugo S2
8.78 for MHA S2
8.16 for LWA (TV)

MIA deserves to win. March is fantastic, but again, I don't think it should count since it's on-going. Rakugo was flawless. The other two? Great shows but no where near the level of MIA or Rakugo.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Peace Sign nominated over Sora ni Utaeba? Haha no. But on that note, based entirely on popularity MHA Season 2 will be this year’s Yuri on Ice. Sorry Made in Abyss.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Sucy should be the Little Witch Academia character nominated in Best Girl, not Akko, especially as Akko already has a nomination in Best Hero.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8