• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2018 Reader Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
I feel really sorry for you guys, that it didn't even occur to you to include "walking" as a valid option to go to work/school/whatever. Or maybe even riding a bicycle. So I had to click on "commute", whatever that means in this context.

Average game related sales was also tricky to answer, since I bought my last game in 2013. New years resolution for 2014 was working through the backlog,...

Also not sure if Linux was included with Desktop (PC) or not, but all I've got is Linux,...
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
Recently (over the last 3 months or so) I've noticed that basic spelling and grammar in many articles has been sloppy. Look, I'm sure all articles are proof read, it's one of the first things any journalist would learn. But it can be really frustrating when you're trying to read through something seamlessly and trip up when a sentence doesn't flow. It can stick out like a sore thumb.

Other than that, keep providing us with this great service Smile
aLIEz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
Just creating my account to say this.
Can you please integrate disqus and shown it under the news. I find it pretty annoying to click the link to see the comment in forum.
Thank you.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to add that for some of us, English IS a "foreign language". So you can take that into account. Smile
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
aLIEz wrote:
Just creating my account to say this.
Can you please integrate disqus and shown it under the news. I find it pretty annoying to click the link to see the comment in forum.
Thank you.

Please do not do this. Disqus is a crappy system most commonly used on sites for pirated anime/manga, and requiring users to connect their social media in order to comment will likely decrease user engagement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Please give feedback here.

Once again, those of us who only frequent the forums here have no reference to the poll in question. You need to include a link to the poll in every thread like this.

Perhaps I'm just a tiny minority of the ANN readership. You can determine this fact by looking in the server logs to see how many initial requests are for forum pages.
390R

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
In the survey I stated I read from Sankaku Complex on a regular basis and simply wanted to elaborate on this and my feelings towards this site.
Though I do actively follow this site I completely despise it and the people who seem to run it and would greatly prefer to give my views to another site if I could find one that covered the topics I am interested in from Sankaku Complex.
I am indeed interested in hearing news on doujinshi and hentai related topics but I would greatly prefer to get it from a site that at least pretends not to be run by simply awful people.
There is simply no professionalism whatsoever as the majority of posts include some sort of extremely offensive political comments, hateful speech against women, or racial remarks.
I understand Anime News Network would probably never want to be involved fully with featuring adult content but I simply wanted to comment on the idea that there are readers who would be interested in perhaps filters to enable them to read content aimed at a somewhat more adult audience.
Thank you for reading.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big manga reader, but it is surprising that there isn't a regular manga column.
I'd add Atlus to the game publisher list, too. They release quite a bit of stuff, plus Persona 5 was a pretty big hit.
I wasn't sure how to answer the "Do you use ad-blocker?" question. I'm a subscriber with certain types of ads turned off, but it's not the same as using a program to do it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Just a thought: With some of the questions I thought that having the option of ranking the choices might be helpful -- although I suppose that that the necessary programming might be rather involved..... Sad
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Just one little tidbit: I couldn't honestly answer the "Do you speak Japanese" question, as I did study it in college, but that was several years ago, and I haven't kept it up. Maybe an option that says "I've learned some, but I'm not currently learning it." Or something.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I typically browse the web on an old laptop with a fair number of tabs open, and in recent years have felt forced to download an adblock to stop various ad-intensive sites from severely slowing down and crashing my browser. I whitelisted ANN since it rarely has that particular problem and I want to support you guys, but a while back ANN would constantly refresh itself in my tabs bar, and I'd constantly see offsite connections cycling at the bottom of the page. Could be a virus on my end, but since it only happened with ANN, I figured it was something on your end at the time. I'll prolly reformat before long and try whitelisting you again.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
(sorry for walls of text)

The most important thing to me as a collector is that you guys fix and get under control the Encyclopedia's scraper/release listings. People in the Encyclopedia forum have been trying to get this addressed for over a year now, and apparently messages to the higher ups have fallen on deaf ears. I know you had a lot on your plate with the hacking and all that, but you guys have one of the only comprehensive release trackers/encyclopedias for domestic anime, and between the staff and community it has always been fairly complete. For the past year, it seems a significant number of releases (maybe even a majority) are slipping through the cracks with no record of domestic releases for any given title, and users no longer have the ability to chip in. The problem is obviously compounding over time, where there's now at least a year's worth of releases severely underrepresented in your system, and it's now unlikely anyone is going to go back in time and thoroughly catalog them all.

As a collector who used ANN as a primary source for release information, and one who would often click on affiliate links (which hopefully made up for the adblock), it's disappointing to see this aspect of ANN fall apart. I seem to recall that the weekly anime release articles once linked directly to individual DVD/BD releases themselves, and now, whether as a result of all these issues or not, they merely link to a show's main Encyclopedia page. I'd think maintaining this aspect of the site should remain a priority, both for whatever revenue it happened to bring in for you, and otherwise simply to retain the integrity of one of the best elements of the site (and anime collector fandom in general) for the users it appealed to.
Songster01

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
I am glad you didn't limit yourself to the gender binary completely, even if "other" is vague. However, I was surprised there were no questions about sexual orientation or racial/ethnic identity.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
DarthSomebody wrote:
When asked if I speak Japanese, I was missing the option that I know it a little bit (1 year at uni), but I'm not actively learning the language any more.

bj_waters wrote:
Just one little tidbit: I couldn't honestly answer the "Do you speak Japanese" question, as I did study it in college, but that was several years ago, and I haven't kept it up. Maybe an option that says "I've learned some, but I'm not currently learning it." Or something.

I thought the same thing as well (and it's what I came to provide feedback on). Native, secondary in the home and even N2 and above (isn't N1 at a level that a native speaker may fail?) are pretty far apart from the next option, formally studying. There really should be at least one (if not more) options in between.
Formally studied, conversational, etc.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:41 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Also not sure if Linux was included with Desktop (PC) or not, but all I've got is Linux,...

I'm in the same position, and I selected that option. It's the same thing, only cheaper still...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6