• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cardcaptor Sakura: The Sealed Card Film to Screen in U.S. Theaters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean The Sealed Card is licensed for distribution on DVD again?!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Aww man I would love to see this! Too bad I live far away.

I’ve been rewatching the TV anime. Got that new 4K scan Blu-ray BOX earlier this week (currently on episode 12...it looks marvelous!) Would be fantastic to top it all off with a viewing of this film in the theater.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
A shame they're not offering the dub, since this movie did have one that stuck truer to the original script and had a host of familiar pros do the voices.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
kh_gal wrote:
Actar wrote:
What's the point? The Clear Card Arc has rendered this movie non-canon (much to my chagrin). Let's show you a movie and then show you the prologue OVA that denies its existence.

...yes, still bitter about that.

Actually in Clear Card episode 1 there was a flashback from episode 70 of the original Cardcaptor Sakura, with Shaoron and Sakura in the airport. Wei was in the cameo too which implies Clear Card is following the anime canon. The two bears refer to when Shaoran made a bear for Sakura in the original and never gave it to her. So hypothetically The Sealed Card could have taken place after the events of episode 70.

The flashback scene has certainly made the is it cannon or is not question more confusing. The fact that that scene is included along with Kero's attempts to summarize the first series in the opening Kero's corner segment alludes to the fact that this series is attempting to still connect to the cannon established in the first series. However, their attempt to still make this show manga faithful creates holes that don't align such as the prologue and the two bears. The two bears thing is kind of explained in episode one of Clear Card where Sakura apparently made that bear on the fly before Syaoran flew back to the Hong Kong ( Rolling Eyes never mind that it was established that it took her forever to make the one for Yukito and the fact that she spent a lot of that short window prior to Syaoran leaving moping, not really knowing how she felt, and only discovering some of her feelings mere hours before he left, but I digress...), so the prologue is the only real problem. Honestly, why did they feel the need to make that if they had no intention of ditching the previous cannon? Especially when most fans would've preferred they kept the old cannon. Now we have this messy continuity where the first series happened but then so did the manga ending, but then so did the airport scene, and then maybe movie 2 could have still happened? It just seems like they needlessly complicated this.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
What's the point? The Clear Card Arc has rendered this movie non-canon (much to my chagrin). Let's show you a movie and then show you the prologue OVA that denies its existence.

...yes, still bitter about that.

Now you know how I feel about Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions and the English dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
7PhoenixAshes wrote:
Hmmm... I wish CR would do a better job of geographically spacing these showings out. I live in Austin (11th most populous city in the US!) and there are no theaters listed that are within a four-hour drive.

The Dallas-Ft. Worth area, though, has more than a half-dozen listed theaters. And there are three theaters showing the movie in the state of Connecticut alone. Mad

I feel your pain. There's a theater not far from me....this time! But other movies announced I'd need to drive through states to get anywhere close, and I'm in one of the densest regions of the country.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2