• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Yuki Yuna is a Hero Challenges Madoka Magica's Legacy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Uh, Day Break Illusion aired over 2 years after Madoka finished airing. Unless you are purporting that Day Break Illusion was in production 2 1/2 years prior to its airing and can substantiate that claim, I'm not sure that the author of the piece is the one who is incorrect.

Because that requires osme extra knowledge.
Gen'neiTaiyou DID exist as a project long before Madoka... but it only released some concept art and a couple lines before it went dark (I don't remember how dark-themed those were even).
One year after Madoka proved to be a massive success, GenneiTaiyou resurfaced out of nowhere with a new PV.
I don't know if the original story was rewriten after Madoka or not, it had its own slew of production issues with a very rushed finale with inconsistencies and open ends and rumors that it was supposed to be 2-cour, but I have no doubt that it was brought back to life only because Madoka proved that their approach could be profitable.

rinrinsama wrote:
its pretty sad how westerns are not into multimedia franchices, they are missing a lot of things

Because it's such a ginormous drag. You have to REALLY be on top of the franchise to be up to date, if it isn0t one of your favorite ones, you're guaranteed to miss one some piece here or there.
It forces the audience to dive into media and formats that they're not familiar with and might even not like.
They provide no narrative benefit, only more economic feasibility.
And more importantly for westerners, almost none of that stuff gets officialy translated, so you're left at the merci of fans finally finishing their translations and even then you might bounce into issues with the translation being iffy or shoddy (plus some extra learning that is usually required for launching VN at all).

It's such a bother and it's so easy to lose track of everything when the franchise isn't at the top of your mind that I now cringe every time a new project claims to pursue becoming a multimedia franchise. I will try the anime but I won't commit to the rest of the stuff unless I end up really loving it... as it happened with YuuYuuYuu

(as an aside, I went into YuYuYu without ANY information other than one or two PV, so to me it was just this SoL with a wheelchair-bound girl in it. Oh boy was I surprised once the forestize alarm started ringing in episode 1)
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
What has been said already, comparing Madoka and Yuna is very shallow attempt of analysis. They are completely differently themed and meant for completely different audience.

Theme in Madoka is to celebrate useless whiners, if you whine enough you can become Jesus, we are told. It is Evangelion in different setting, but whereas Evangelion reeked with authenticity due to fact it was based Anno own mental sickness, Madoka reeks only laughable pretentiousness which is hallmark of all Urobuchi so-called "writing".

Yuna on the other hand tells us the story of heroes facing hopeless battle and tells us that we should go on even though odds are slim, in almost complete opposition of Madoka. There are lots of earlier anime with similar theme, maybe the best suited for predecessor would be Saikano with the similar girl-fighter character.
FLAZE35

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
1) The ending was foreshadowed briefly by a quote in episode 7 (I think it was 7). It is noted that offerings given aren't always permanent.
2) The ending is more thoroughly explained in supplementary material. While the presentation of the ending might be poor, the explanation is available to you if you want one, so calling it a deus ex machina ending is both ironic (because it literally involves gods) and false.
3) Remarks such as "they're milking the franchise" are rubbish because the series was marketed as multi-media from the start. The prequel LN Washio Sumi wa Yuusha de aru was released simultaneously with the anime.
4) I won't and can't say Madoka was a bad work, but I do not see it as anything close to a "masterpiece" either. It has its own set of flaws. I'm not providing examples because I'd really prefer not to get into a Madoka discussion.
5) The first half is controversial because some people view it as stalling and others view it as getting to know the characters. It really depends on the person. Viewers who enjoy SoL tend to get attached to characters, so people who enjoyed the SoL in YuYuYu probably liked the first half, and that deepened the impact of the second half. On the other hand, people who like a paced, non-episodic plot might be disappointed by it.

Now, to be fair:
6) As I said earlier, the ending was not presented as well as it should have been and I think the ending could have benefited from having one more episode.
7) I don't think it is known whether a sequel was planned at the time episode 12 of season 1 aired. The people in charge of the show did decide that they wanted a happy ending no matter what, when planning the story.
8) YuYuYu is not a masterpiece. Honestly, masterpiece has largely lost its meaning anyway in the anime community.
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
FLAZE35 wrote:
1) The ending was foreshadowed briefly by a quote in episode 7 (I think it was 7). It is noted that offerings given aren't always permanent.
2) The ending is more thoroughly explained in supplementary material. While the presentation of the ending might be poor, the explanation is available to you if you want one, so calling it a deus ex machina ending is both ironic (because it literally involves gods) and false.
6) As I said earlier, the ending was not presented as well as it should have been and I think the ending could have benefited from having one more episode.

I agree with those. I may love YYY, and I believe the ending makes perfect sense within the context of the show, but I agree it could have been presented better.

However, like some have said, there were hints that S1 was NOT the true end, even without knowing that the Washio Sumi prequel LN was being simultaneously published. There is of course the foreshadowing of episode 7, but, more importantly, the final thing we see in episode 12 of S1: Yuki Yuna's Chapter. The world Chapter alone should have made people realize that S1 isn't/wouldn't be the end of the franchise, that more would come. In any given story, (be it a book, a game, a TV series, etc.) there are always more than just 1 chapter. So S1 of YYY was just 1 of the many chapters that would come to the series.

TarsTarkas wrote:
I liked Yuki Yuna is a Hero, but the ending ruined it. It turned the characters we loved into machines or Vulcans. Season two may retcon or try to correct what went wrong at the end of season one, but that still won't erase the sour taste season one gave.

I mean, if your vision is akin to "the ending is paramount", then I guess nothing I say will change your opinion. Though I will say the sequel part of S2 isn't as much "correct what went wrong" and closer to "expand on an ending that showed signs of a follow-up, simultaneously explaining said ending".

TarsTarkas wrote:
For me the end of the show's message was that of LOVE conquers all, including murder and genocide. I kinda of disagree with that extreme message. Love is strong and all, but there are somethings beyond the pale that shouldn't be covered by that.

It's funny because S2 is basically taking a quite different step thus far. The girls' actions (Mimori turning traitor, and Yuuna overexerting herself) have consequences that even love/friendship/heroism won't solve everything.

And from my perspective, YYY's ending wasn't "Love conquers all", but closer to "Pushing forward against any obstacle and never giving up will make you surmount problems". YYY was always as much about heroism as about love.
Finalll, don't forget the Club's 5th Tenet "You're likely to succeed if you try". Yuuna tried hard, pushed forward and freed herself from her coma (which wasn't that easy, as revealed in S2).
Alexandre Martins

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
Totally agree with you. The same happens with Haibane Renmei: it requires a good understanding of many things in Buddhism and Shintoism so its symbology can be better understood. The idea that the amatsukami descended into the world to pacify and purify it ties in perfectly with their decision to eliminate the humanity. That, together with the idea of the Divine Tree (Shinju) tying up with the sacred or world tree in many mythologies, demonstrates the show's far from simplistic background.
Finally, many people complain the ending of the first season was just a horrible cop out. However, if you're familiar with the rest of the material, it certainly is not so, especially because that was not the final season. The problem is that people adhere too much to the notion that an anime is either an original work or the adaptation of a manga or novel. YuYuYu is neither, as it's part of a larger franchise, as you mentioned. These people believe the first season should have had a proper and fitting ending, just like many people say you shouldn't have to read the book to understanding a movie adapted from it. And that's all well and good, I agree with that. But when the authors plan their story so that you read the LNs, play the VNs, read the mangas and watch the animes (regardless of the order) and the complete story is scattered along these different media, viewers have no right to complain if they only consume a fraction of the material. I have two friends who don't even try to look for supplemental information outside Wikipedia, and are only interested in watching the anime, so they miss out a lot in great franchises like YuYuYu.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
By the time the S1 finale happened there was no extra material to look up for more context though. There was WaSuYu but that had no relation whatsoever to what transpired in the last episode.
It was what it was and there were no external factors to save or doom it: a fitting end in tune with what the series was going for but executed quite poorly.
There's just no reverse to it. No information added in a sequel, no random side-VN, no NoWaYu is going to make that execution better.

Heck, if anything WaSuYu's presence justifies beating up that ending: any vital information that WaSuYu could add to YuYuYu was already explained within YuYuYu (what happened to Tougo, why the system is how it is, how it was in the past...) so there's no reason why its finale should be allowed to have any critical piece of information hidden away in a different piece of media that tells a different story.
Not like it did have such a piece elsewhere, as far as I know (I haven't started with NoWaYu yet), it just didn't communicate its message, intentions and context well enough.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
"You need in-depth knowledge of a particular field to understand why this is good" is not something I consider a valid excuse for storytelling issues. That's just snobbishness, either on the part of the fan, the show (this is a magical girl anime, not a freakin' James Joyce novel), or both. Knowledge can enhance a story, but it cannot transform a story from bad to good.

"You need to read this and play that and do all these other things to understand it" is just as much of a cop-out. The fact that they supposedly explained away the narrative issues in some hard-to-acquire side material doesn't change the fact that essential details were left out of the anime for no good reason. Multimedia franchises that pull this kind of trick are a moneymaking scheme, not some new transcendent form of storytelling.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I've always found anime to be remarkably consistent. People always say "you have to watch X episodes before it gets good," but other than rare cases of writing-quality derailments (Aldnoah Zero...) it's usually clear what the good and bad things about an anime are within the first episode or two. YuYuYu's ending didn't ruin it for me, because the story had never been particularly grounded or connected to the characters in any meaningful way. I actually really liked the show, but the diabolically bleak and cruel universe/narrative, too obviously designed to torture the characters for the crime of wanting to be heroes, isn't something I can just handwave away.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
GoldenPincers wrote:

I mean, if your vision is akin to "the ending is paramount", then I guess nothing I say will change your opinion. Though I will say the sequel part of S2 isn't as much "correct what went wrong" and closer to "expand on an ending that showed signs of a follow-up, simultaneously explaining said ending".

Of course, they prepared for a follow-up. But a show has to stand on its own. Season One finished, and their post battle setting acted liked nothing happened. Sorry, but there is no excuse for pretending nothing real bad happened in the final battle. Human beings act like human beings, unless they are psychopaths.

GoldenPincers wrote:
It's funny because S2 is basically taking a quite different step thus far. The girls' actions (Mimori turning traitor, and Yuuna overexerting herself) have consequences that even love/friendship/heroism won't solve everything.

And from my perspective, YYY's ending wasn't "Love conquers all", but closer to "Pushing forward against any obstacle and never giving up will make you surmount problems". YYY was always as much about heroism as about love.
Finalll, don't forget the Club's 5th Tenet "You're likely to succeed if you try". Yuuna tried hard, pushed forward and freed herself from her coma (which wasn't that easy, as revealed in S2).

The only reason we would think the Love Conquers All concept, was that they showed no response to Togo Mimori's actions. Everyone acted like it was just another day.
Artesox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
At the rate of things, soon enough people will be angry that trailers have plot holes and refuse to watch the full series because of it. Rolling Eyes
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
That leap of logic is larger than those plotholes could ever be.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
"You need in-depth knowledge of a particular field to understand why this is good" is not something I consider a valid excuse for storytelling issues. That's just snobbishness, either on the part of the fan, the show (this is a magical girl anime, not a freakin' James Joyce novel), or both. Knowledge can enhance a story, but it cannot transform a story from bad to good.
What you're saying here is that good stories can't reference their own culture. That the show benefits from a familiarity with Shinto isn't a case of "snobbishness"; it's simply relying on cultural knowledge that happens to be uncommon elsewhere. It's the same as if an American show invoked, say, gold, frankincense and myrrh: almost nobody in Japan's going to know what that means.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
What you're saying here is that good stories can't reference their own culture. That the show benefits from a familiarity with Shinto isn't a case of "snobbishness"; it's simply relying on cultural knowledge that happens to be uncommon elsewhere. It's the same as if an American show invoked, say, gold, frankincense and myrrh: almost nobody in Japan's going to know what that means.

Indeed. It's like asserting that a book written in Chinese must be bad because you cannot understand it without learning Chinese.

Anime/manga is actually a type of Japanese visual language and even translated hence requires familiarity with it's specific cultural elements to be fully understood.

Moroboshi-san wrote:
What has been said already, comparing Madoka and Yuna is very shallow attempt of analysis. They are completely differently themed and meant for completely different audience.

Theme in Madoka is to celebrate useless whiners, if you whine enough you can become Jesus, we are told. It is Evangelion in different setting, but whereas Evangelion reeked with authenticity due to fact it was based Anno own mental sickness, Madoka reeks only laughable pretentiousness which is hallmark of all Urobuchi so-called "writing".

I though it was pretty obvious that Madoka's main message is that while the real world might be unforgiving and harsh, which is very different from the world as we perceive it when we are children, it is still worth it to fight for your dreams and to live in it.

It is a positive message relayed through the cruel treatment of Sayaka by this incredible evil mahou shoujo/witch system, the incredible effort Homura put into her attemp to save Madoka and the final action of Madoka that broke off the evil system through the sacrifice of her humanity. It shows that the world is cruel and harsh but that a good ending is possible but that it often requires great effort and sacrifice.

Evangelion is very different. It is a show that is aimed at a different audience: EVA was aimed at teenagers who have problems socializing while Madoka was aimed at young adults who are discovering how harsh adult life is. Madoka's first episodes represents the bubble of childhood while Mami's death and Sayaka's cruel experience represents the discovery of the world's harshness as we come into contact with the real world after finishing high school/college and Homura and Madoka's ark represents the redemption of this cruel and harsh real world through effort, sacrifice and persistence. Hence, it represents final success in going through adult life.

Madoka was a show burning with a strong passion for the value of doing what is right despite everything and Homura's story demonstrated enormous and powerful feeling of resolve, which is ultimately required for success in the reak world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I have been meaning to comment on this thread for quite a while now, but for a couple of reasons I have been unable to do so until now.....

• I think that that what is amusingly ironic is is that a poster with "killjoy" in their username would post:
    killjoy_the wrote:
    Am I allowed to enjoy both shows and think neither is a masterpiece or is that forbidden?
  • GoldenPincers wrote:
    YYY's S1 never aimed for a bad ending.
    Um, I do not think any writer/director team ever aims for a bad ending.....
  • GoldenPincers wrote:
    Basically, YYY is a big package with a lot of entries (all of which are canon actually), similarly to how someone would unlock new chapters/worlds in a video game through story progression, with all chapters having always been there, while Madoka is a complete first game that later got separate expansions, fan-discs, etc. by popular demand.
    Alexandre Martins wrote:
    Artesox wrote:
    [...]
    What do introvert Madoka and extrovert Yuuna even have in common beyond pink hair and selflessness? (Which are aspects they share with a thousand other magical girl MCs)
    My thoughts exactly. The ending of the first season is not THE ENDING. It 's explained in the second season, and not as a good thing (typical YuYuYu). The major problem is the show relies on fans going after all the supplemental material (that's the Wakaba and Washi Light Novels, the visuals novels, the extra anime, etc. etc. etc., some of which haven't even been translated into English - not that the Japanese care). Lots of things that seem cop outs (like the ending of S1) or make no sense are actually detailed either in the supplemental material or explained in the currently-airing season... [...]
    Yuvelir wrote:
    rinrinsama wrote:
    its pretty sad how westerns are not into multimedia franchices, they are missing a lot of things

Because it's such a ginormous drag. You have to REALLY be on top of the franchise to be up to date, if it isn0t one of your favorite ones, you're guaranteed to miss one some piece here or there.
    It forces the audience to dive into media and formats that they're not familiar with and might even not like.
    They provide no narrative benefit, only more economic feasibility.
    And more importantly for westerners, almost none of that stuff gets officialy translated, so you're left at the merci of fans finally finishing their translations and even then you might bounce into issues with the translation being iffy or shoddy (plus some extra learning that is usually required for launching VN at all).

It's such a bother and it's so easy to lose track of everything when the franchise isn't at the top of your mind that I now cringe every time a new project claims to pursue becoming a multimedia franchise. I will try the anime but I won't commit to the rest of the stuff unless I end up really loving it... as it happened with YuuYuuYuu [...]
    kotomikun wrote:
    "You need to read this and play that and do all these other things to understand it" is just as much of a cop-out. The fact that they supposedly explained away the narrative issues in some hard-to-acquire side material doesn't change the fact that essential details were left out of the anime for no good reason. Multimedia franchises that pull this kind of trick are a moneymaking scheme, not some new transcendent form of storytelling.
    Personally, it is a turnoff for me if an anime cannot stand on its own -- for that reason I strongly agree with the points made by Alexandre Martins, Yuvelir and kotomikun. That is why I have never been able to enjoy neither Akira nor Clannad After Story.
    whiskeyii wrote:
    Anyways, I take umbrage at the idea that YYY's first ending was permissible because of the existence of a sequel season; I certainly had no idea such a sequel was in the works when season 1 aired, so just leaving it with all the actual interesting bits of world-building unexplored was a big letdown for me.
    Agreed -- I, too, had no idea that that there would be a sequel.....
  • Sam Murai wrote:
    However, as great as I thought Madoka was, I think one (other) that rivals, and maybe even surpasses, its own heights, is (was?) 2001's largely-forgotten Alien 9. Not quite "magical girl" in the traditional sense, but it might have been even more harder-hitting and effectual than what would come over a decade later. I always considered it to be a masterpiece in its own right, but I was struck by how favorably it paralleled and stood against Madoka in a recent rewatch. I'd say that's just how good A9 really was, rather than that Madoka was diminished in comparision [sic].
    If you look here, you will find that that the reaction is mixed. I, myself, do not quite know what to make of it.....
  • BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
    [...]
    Now, with all the debate over whether the first season had a terrible ending or not, it seems like the time to give this franchise another try has passed me by.
    vonPeterhof wrote:
    I also felt like the s1 ending was a major copout, but FWIW the second season has actually addressed a lot of the specific issues people had with that ending (the largely unexplained cause and effect relations, the seeming thematic incongruence of the outcome, the near lack of consequences for a certain character's, um, questionable decisions, etc.) by gradually revealing that it wasn't quite the reset it seemed to be (while building up on stuff foreshadowed in the first season and without even retconning anything!).
    Razor/Edge wrote:
    Everyone that didn't like how the first season ended really should at least the sequel season a shot. It's only 6 episodes and, without getting too into details, the ending of the first season was not all what it appeared to be. The latest episode explains what happened and it's not nearly the cop out it appeared to be at the time.
    I marathoned it after Theron Martin endorsed it -- only to be so disappointed by it that I immediately marathoned Madoka Magica because it was so incomparably better. Now, given all of the comments that I have read, I guess I should give this cour the benefit of the doubt and watch it.....
  • rinrinsama wrote:
    the second point is about japanese culture, YUYUYU can't be fully understand without knowing some basic Shinto mitology, even more, someone who dont know anything of shinto probably dont even know who are the enemies in YUYUYU,

thats doesnt mean that you must know all of japanese culture to enjoy anime, actually is the other way, yuyuyu makes me get interest of reading about shinto and other stuff.
    Alexandre Martins
    wrote:
    The same happens with Haibane Renmei: it requires a good understanding of many things in Buddhism and Shintoism so its symbology can be better understood.
    That is very interesting; I guess that I am going to have to google Buddhism and Shintoism symbolism since I absolutely adore Haibane Renmei.....

Some comments about Madoka Magica in particular that I would like to respond to:
  • GoldenPincers wrote:
    The tragedy they go through is gripping, sad and makes me wish they succeed, but the characters themselves don't nearly have as much bonding (whether it's between themselves or with the audience). [...] YYY spends a lot of time with its characters in their daily life, doing activities, helping others, messing with each other, talking about mundane stuff, etc. far moreso than Madoka ever did. [...] Madoka doesn't have that. While there is some bonding, it's very limited since Mami dies early, while Kyouka and Homura stay away from the others, leaving only Madoka and Sayaka, the latter who breaks down anyway.
    I am possibly misunderstanding the point being made here, but I respectfully disagree with the above because of the emotional high-point of M.M.: Episode #10. Rewatch it. The bonding of Homura to Madoka is real -- very real. And Madoka apologizes in episode #12 for not knowing that Homura was her best friend.
  • DRosencraft wrote:
    And correct me if I'm wrong, but is not a huge central part of Madoka's story the fact that a certain girl kept rewinding time because she didn't like that her friend died?
    Ah, about that "rewinding" part....
    In episode #11 Kyubey says that Homura is "cancelling out timelines" (if I recall the line correctly). It is a reference to the Many-worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics by Hugh Everett (as popularized by Bryce DeWitt). See the below diagram.

• Sailor Sedna wrote:
    I thought it was fine, not horrible, but something about it just never clicked with me, I just don't see what's there that appeals to others (plus the whole 12-13 episode stuff of modern anime to me doesn't work at all).
    Of the two things that I fault Madoka Magica for, one of them is is that there just is not enough time devoted to adequately fleshing out the background of Kyoko Sakura in order to better explain -- and explore -- the evolution of her feelings toward Sayaka Miki. Perhaps the series would have been better served by a thirteenth episode?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
In episode #11 Kyubey says that Homura is "cancelling out timelines" (if I recall the line correctly). It is a reference to the Many-worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics by Hugh Everett (as popularized by Bryce DeWitt). See the below diagram.
This is one of the things that bugged me when I thought about it: throughout there were a number of changes that couldn't have been connected to Homura's actions(eg, in the first timeline Madoka was already a magical girl). One doujinshi I've read gave a twist that Kyuubey more or less put her in a happy dream: after all, she didn't actually ask for time travel.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
This is one of the things that bugged me when I thought about it: throughout there were a number of changes that couldn't have been connected to Homura's actions(eg, in the first timeline Madoka was already a magical girl). One doujinshi I've read gave a twist that Kyuubey more or less put her in a happy dream: after all, she didn't actually ask for time travel.

IIRC looking at the calendar Homura rewinded to several days before going back to school. In later timelines she used that time to prevent contact between Madoka and QB.
In one of the drama CDs that came with the BDs, it's stated that Madoka's wish was to save a cat some days ago so Homura could just go and save that cat herself. Sure, it's outside information but it adds some unneeded but cool context.

Last edited by Yuvelir on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5