• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans, Creators Applaud Animation of Fate/Apocrypha's 22nd Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
professorwho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Everyone should stop praising A-1 because I’m reality they’re just a building where freelancers make anime under funding by Aniplex. Credit should go to the animation directors and the key animators- as the article does. A-1 has no consistency besides the faces all looking the same- they just pump out as much as possible based on what Aniplex and the production committees want. I say this only about A-1 because they have no identity- whereas most other animation studios have one.
younesase

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The whole time I'm watching it im thjinking "uh oh looks like the studio ran out of money, damn well at least they fucked up this fight so hopefully the 'final' battle wont suffer from this crap."

You don't seem to understand what is "animation".
Animation is always about the mouvement, its fluidity and complexity and how much of it is shown, the episode featured some god like animation, the amount of things mouving a the same time and the amount of frames and quality and complexity of it is impressive, you seem to thing that when something looks good then it's well animated and that's wrong, having good looking static images is not good animation but good art, the Naruto fight you seem to hate is also well animated, it was fluid, dynamic, fast and cool, made that way by the animator to give an emotion of power and fasteness to the scene by deforming the characters faces when they give or receive punches.. all that was actually, unlike what most people think, very well done, and it actually is very hard to do.
This episode on the other hand unlike Ufotable is mostly (if not all) 2D (no CGI), which means it is drawn by hand, and to have such complexe animation is rare in a TV series.
But still, you can have your opinion on weither you like them for choosing this style of animation in this episodes (and also weither you like what the animator did for the naruto fight) or not , but you can't say it's bad animation.
Also, animation is like anything, you need to try to know how hard it is, and to understand when something is well animated or not.
Here is a bonus about a guy called Shinya Ohira, one of the best animators in the world, yet most people (who aren't familiar with the world of animation) hate him and think his animation is bad : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BosH9d56SsM
SthRandom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I actually dislike when they sacrifice character art in favor of fluid movements. The difference between that kind of art style and the "usual one" is so obvious that it makes the experience not so great for me.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
^People just need to be open minded to different styles of animation.
SthRandom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
I think there should be a certain level of consistency maintained within a single series.
xerox-guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
So.. did anybody forget the quality of UBW?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
um what?

I feel like I'm at an art museum and they just brought out the worlds most expensive dot and everyone is gawking at how beautiful it is and how they would love to own it and that it's well worth the price.
Meanwhile, Im just standing there squinting... " it's just a dot"
(I'm not trying to offend anyone I just completely do not understand what is so good about this episode's art)

The whole time I'm watching it im thjinking "uh oh looks like the studio ran out of money, damn well at least they fucked up this fight so hopefully the 'final' battle wont suffer from this crap."

And then I come here and find out it this was amazing?

Like the actual content of the episode was amazing but the art and animation was soooo different than what I'm used to till now that it just looked so ugly. Another thought that went through my mind is that this is like the scene with naruto vs pain(nagato ver) where the battle felt like it sorta fuzed into minecraft territory with sudden blockiness.
I've seen huge shifts in art tone before like onepunchman and when used momentarily it looks amazing but using it for an entire fight is just weird.

So am i the only one who thinks this or maybe someone can explain why this episode was so 'well animated' compared to the stuff we had before.

[Edit]: Forget i said anything. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by AksaraKishou on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
professorwho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Aziz Otaibi wrote:

No, it's just this is more fluidly animated in terms of movement. UBW is just pretty colours distracting the audience from little movement- only when the scenes are well animated (Archer vs Lancer in Episode 0), then it actually is impressive.
professorwho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
SthRandom wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
I think there should be a certain level of consistency maintained within a single series.

You do realise how hard it is to make it consistently on model and be well animated in terms of movement? Anime is still delivered in it's week of broadcast, with 6 to 8 weeks of production per episode, so unless they want to eat up their time with corrections and ib-betweens, it isn't gonna happen.

Plus, the animators who worked on this episode were Webgen, so this style of movement over consistancy is very much what they are used to. I personally love this style, so to each his own, but there is NO way in this industry it can stay consistently on model unless each episode takes half a year or more to produce, plus that would mean hiring less webgen animators, who are changing the industry.

So from a financial and technical standpoint- It's NEVER gonna happen in these days...
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
younesase wrote:
Quote:

You don't seem to understand what is "animation".
Animation is always about the mouvement, its fluidity and complexity and how much of it is shown, the episode featured some god like animation, the amount of things mouving a the same time and the amount of frames and quality and complexity of it is impressive, you seem to thing that when something looks good then it's well animated and that's wrong, having good looking static images is not good animation but good art, the Naruto fight you seem to hate is also well animated, it was fluid, dynamic, fast and cool, made that way by the animator to give an emotion of power and fasteness to the scene by deforming the characters faces when they give or receive punches.. all that was actually, unlike what most people think, very well done, and it actually is very hard to do.
This episode on the other hand unlike Ufotable is mostly (if not all) 2D (no CGI), which means it is drawn by hand, and to have such complexe animation is rare in a TV series.
But still, you can have your opinion on weither you like them for choosing this style of animation in this episodes (and also weither you like what the animator did for the naruto fight) or not , but you can't say it's bad animation.
Also, animation is like anything, you need to try to know how hard it is, and to understand when something is well animated or not.
Here is a bonus about a guy called Shinya Ohira, one of the best animators in the world, yet most people (who aren't familiar with the world of animation) hate him and think his animation is bad : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BosH9d56SsM

Well if what youre saying is agreed on by the vast majority of people you're quite right in that I dont understand 'animation' but from what I can gather my view on this is identical to
SthRandom wrote:
I actually dislike when they sacrifice character art in favor of fluid movements. The difference between that kind of art style and the "usual one" is so obvious that it makes the experience not so great for me.
except replace "not so great" with "horrible"

I mean don't get me wrong I'm sure this must have have taken alot of hard work and must be good since its getting so much attention I just really really don't like it.
On the subject of Ufotable they made some of the best fight scenes which must be because of the method they use to animate vs what A-1 uses but there was never such a huge jump in artistic quality so everything just blended smoothly.
With this, the huge jumps in detail in favor of 'fluidity' just looks really really weird and that translates to bad in my head.

as for the video by Shinya Ohira I watched it and while its really neat I find myself asking "ok... but why?" why does he trade so much detail for motion and even add in so much unnecessary motion for some scenes?

Eh in the end i suppose art is subjective and I feel like I'm gonna find myself outnumbered on this but in closing:

Congratulations to the animators for putting so much effort into it, I still think the scenes were overall really bad and should have been done better, but limitations and all that made them prioritise one thing over the other and the internet seems happy so it must have been the right choice.

EDIT: replying to posts, published as I was writing
professorwho wrote:
Aziz Otaibi wrote:

No, it's just this is more fluidly animated in terms of movement. UBW is just pretty colours distracting the audience from little movement- only when the scenes are well animated (Archer vs Lancer in Episode 0), then it actually is impressive.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
As a joke if you turn that around then you could also say
karna vs Seig is just nice animation distracting the audience from bad art.
Only when the images are well draw then it actually is impressive
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
It's A-1. They do good work.

Calsolum wrote:
um what?

Some people are color blind and can't tell the difference between red and green even though red is red and green is green and anybody who isn't color blind would never confuse those two colors in a million years. Some people are animation blind and simply cannot recognize good animation no matter how amazing it is.

Fun fact: if you touch you nose to the TV while this is playing, you're literally someone who can't recognize good animation even if it hit them in the face.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

The key animators responsible for this episode are freelancers. They don't work for A-1.
professorwho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

A-1 isn't really a studio- as I've mentioned above- it's just freelancers doing whatever Aniplex and the Production committee wants. There is no consistency, and they certainly don't do good work (at least in my opinion). People need to separate studio (which in this case really isn't one) from staff to see who really created their favourite shows.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
For all the issues I do think this episode delivered pretty well not just in terms of animation but in actually pulling the emotional notes. I mean, sure, they do use a lot of non standard techniques but I think it's a worth trade. They did manage to give a feeling of overwhelming power that Ufotable usually don't go for. Ufotable tries to mantain visual coherence and on model which allows the whole thing to feel more grounded. This episode was going for a more impressionistic style, to give the feeling of watching something outright superhuman.
In a sense it's similar to the difference between how the MCU does things and how the DCEU is doing where the one prizes overall coherence and clarity (sans some moments of excessive lightning) while the other goes for a less balanced but more impactful style of action. But given this is animation they can really go all out and we get this episode.
So, yeah, sure. Sometimes things get a bit distorted and not every frame is a painting but is that really the point? They expressed the power how they wanted and even made the expressions more 'big' to pass all the turmoil of feelings that were going on.
All around? Death Stranding Baby/10
Lion Magnus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Damn, there must be something wrong in my eyes, or in my head.

As I LOVE the Fate series, as this adaptation, this episode confused me in many parts.
The content, the history, is OK, no problem, good, nice, etc.

But the pace, and the animation... God... made me remember those cheap Naruto battle animation I saw here and there. I swear I think I saw a Mickey mouse with sword and without ears in that battlexD

This episode made change my opinion of Karna (because of FGO, I know him little) and made want even more a Atlanta, so yes, the content yes, very good, the message was recived.

on the visual... mmmmm
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4