• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kino's Journey - the Beautiful World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:20 am Reply with quote
Joa wrote:
Quote:
Next week will probably still be bad, but we might get to see the show's ostensible protagonist again, which would be a change of pace by now.

According to the chapter list that was released the remaining 4 episodes will all be about Kino.

The next episode will also have a Master, and a Shizu story alongside Kino's though, the preview has Kino and Riku as narrator. it's unclear whether they'll adapt 3 stories or one story with all 3 groups in different time visiting the same country/experiencing similar event in different place and time.
Lightice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, the reviewer sticks with the mindset that the protagonists of this series are meant to be unquestionably heroic, and observes their actions through that perspective, even when it obviously fails. Kino is a dispassionate observer who only interferes under duress, the Master is a high functioning sociopath who only pursues self-serving goals, with any good or evil accomplished along the way being purely incidental, and Shizu is a well-intentioned meddler whose simple sense of justice does not fit well with the complicated world around him. None of them are conventional heroes, and certainly not role models.

Now, the new series unfortunately fails to convey the almost dream-like stream of consciousness feeling that the old anime and the light novels convey, a hazy, semi-mythical world where motorcycles can talk and the land is so treacherous and untameable that the societies grow and develop in almost total isolation from each other. One episode even suggested through an in-universe piece of fiction that Kino might be a child experiencing fairy tale stories through a virtual reality device to forget that the world she lives in is dead. It's much harder to view these worlds through Kino's dispassionate lens when everything is portrayed so vividly and conventionally, which just goes to show just how much an art style can affect how people see an anime.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 am Reply with quote
While I'm not disliking the show as much as the reviewer, I have lost count at the number of times I've face-palmed while watching these episodes. The quality of the writing we've seen the past eight weeks is nowhere near what I was hoping and expecting. Even the animation, artistry, music and direction are nowhere near where they ought to be. It all makes for an extremely frustrating viewing experience.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Kino's been outed! Very Happy
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Actually, about the old man, it's even more interesting when you think about it. He wants to kill a person, but has no reason to do so. BUt because of the system in place he doesn;t have nayone he would actually want to kill. Why do people kill? For money, but he's rich. For power, but he's the former president so he at least had power. For revenge, but everyone loves him and have never done anything to him. The only think left is for pleasure. He literally had no reason to kill anyone and thus could not get in the mind set needed to kill.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But Shizu thinks that this is stupid and these people are idiots for believing that something like this would fulfill their desires. Um, what a dick? This story is just our hero being condescending to some folks as they participate in a benign cultural activity. Is that supposed to be charming? These are the types of observations you'd consider mature at eleven and grow out of by the time you're twelve. At least Ti indulges the country's tradition and makes a wish that everyone else's wishes would come true ("because it would be pointless otherwise"). At least she did something with her needless cynicism.

Okay, now you're just making stuff up. Shizu never said anything like that. When Riku asked if he'd make a wish Shizu says "I'd rather act than wish." Meaning he'd rather make wishes come try with his own hands than some sort of divine force granting it for him.

Ti is the one who said "it's not as if any of this does any good." So if you're gonna accuse anyone of being a dick, it's Ti.

Also, is it really necessary to use "they" when referring to Kino now? As if it wasn't obvious before the bandit outright confirms her sex here.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also, is it really necessary to use "they" when referring to Kino now? As if it wasn't obvious before the bandit outright confirms her sex here.

Yeah, the review didn't even mention that. Confused
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Now I know it doesn't hurt for a new episode to try something different from the norm, but at the same time it can't sacrifice in quality which is not easy to achieve. Episode 9 fails to do that as it tries to cram in several separate stories into one episode which is a bad idea altogether; it's messy. Kino's Journey has historically been one country per episode and it should stick to that formula imo. Out of all the countries introduced in Episode 9, spoiler[the first one with the virtue points system and its president attempting to kill somebody was the most intriguing out of the bunch.]

dtm42 wrote:
While I'm not disliking the show as much as the reviewer, I have lost count at the number of times I've face-palmed while watching these episodes. The quality of the writing we've seen the past eight weeks is nowhere near what I was hoping and expecting. Even the animation, artistry, music and direction are nowhere near where they ought to be. It all makes for an extremely frustrating viewing experience.

I can't help but wholeheartedly agree with you despite my noble attempts to judge this adaptation on its own without constantly trying to compare to the original. Laughing
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Is it too late to give the reviews of this series to someone else? The reviewer has brought so much baggage into it that I don't think it's fair.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Why are we still doing the "They" thing when they pretty much said at the beginning of this episode that Kino's a girl?
Koda89

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Why are we still doing the "They" thing when they pretty much said at the beginning of this episode that Kino's a girl?

Probably because Kino doesn’t call themselves a girl, and I think that is fair to keep referring to Kino as they until they directly say otherwise.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I know it's 2017 and all, but we're far from the point where "Assume transgender unless otherwise stated" is the default mindset. Her not flaunting her gender likely has more to do with this than it does her sense of identity.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Probably because Kino doesn’t call themselves a girl, and I think that is fair to keep referring to Kino as they until they directly say otherwise.

What the hell does that even mean?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Koda89 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

That Kino could be non-binary. Hence, "they".
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
Koda89 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

That Kino could be non-binary. Hence, "they".

Exactly. As the series itself has said before, “Kino is Kino.”

Kino is biologically female but that doesn’t mean their gender is a woman. They’re just...Kino.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 21