• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mr. Osomatsu Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Well, his parents did cut him off (and his nipples) in the second episode. Laughing

Yeah, but all of his brothers (sans Choromatsu) got their nipples cut off too, so I don’t really think that counts. Razz

Besides, at this point last season, “The Karamatsu Incident” happened, and there’s been nothing that even remotely comes close to that this season (at least so far), so I consider that progress. Laughing
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote
There has been something about this show, that for awhile has reminded me of Gintama. And I think it could be the fact that both have hilarious facial reactions.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
There has been something about this show, that for awhile has reminded me of Gintama. And I think it could be the fact that both have hilarious facial reactions.

Yoichi Fujita, Gintama's longest serving general director, directs this series and played a large role in developing it. Classicaloid, which he co-created, also contains a number of Gintama-y elements.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's all very anime-romantic, but Nanami and Takkun aren't important.

Nanami Asaoka and Tatsuo "Takkun" Uebayashi are, in name and appearance, a reference to the main characters Minami Asakura and Tatsuya "Tatchan" Uesugi of Mitsuru Adachi's Touch, one of the most popular and famous anime of all time in Japan, from the mid 1980s. They are important to Japanese viewers. Even the scene is a close parody of a famous scene where Minami asks Tatchan to take her to the national high school baseball championships at Koshien. The cicada-Matsus end up ruining an incredibly famous confession scene from an incredibly famous anime (not just a generic "anime-romantic" scene), which is the joke.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
This weeks episode is a bit like Kun. I haven't watched a great deal of them, but the ones I did centre on were either iyami trying to con the brothers or them helping someone out. The second part really has the more kind hearted nature of Kun, barely anyone was unintentionally mean.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, poor Totty. Even if he is a dry monster, he didn’t deserve what happened to him here. That was just cruel. Sad

On a side note, I wonder how the English dub is going to handle all the exclusively Japanese puns in this episode. The localization team must be jumping through hoops right now. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
As I am a major fan of Sakurai's work (I'm still suffering through Dynamic Chord in hopes that they'll let him sing, and if that's not love I don't know what is), this was indeed a glorious episode. But for my money, I still think his performance last season in the school delinquents episode tops everything. He produced sounds I've never heard coming out of his mouth before and it was stunning. Very Happy I think he's really got more range than a lot of people give him credit for.

I would kill for a subbed video of this crew during a recording session. They all get to reach beyond their normal roles and it really sounds like they're having a blast, especially with the Cavematsu material.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling that those girls weren't pretending to having fun. But actully got really drunk and were to embarrassed to admit it.
Kiddo626 wrote:
Wow, poor Totty. Even if he is a dry monster, he didn’t deserve what happened to him here. That was just cruel. Sad

On a side note, I wonder how the English dub is going to handle all the exclusively Japanese puns in this episode. The localization team must be jumping through hoops right now. Laughing
Leave them as was the case with the Gintama dub that CR made or rewrite them into English puns(if possible).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
That insert song was just the best! I had to listen to it several times. Very Happy
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Was the Hatabou and Chibita fusion based on that man/woman from Mazingar?
It was weird seeing Jyushimatsu play the straight man during his training.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The baseball player formed from combining a pitcher and a batter was a reference to OHTANI Shohei, who was simultaneously the best pitcher in the Japanese pro baseball league (NPL) and the best hitter, playing DH on the days he didn't start as pitcher. The number 11 the player wore is Ohtani's number. Note that the nane was obscured by mosaic.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Boy, did I find Ichimatsu so relatable in this episode. I never resorted to the same tactics he ended up pulling, but I kinda wish I did. Laughing

On another note, why do I get the feeling the next episode “Karamatsu and Brother” is gonna be sad? I mean, we seem to be about due for the occasional dramatic segment the show sometimes dips into, and I think this might be it. Could be wrong, though.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Last week, I wrote:
On another note, why do I get the feeling the next episode “Karamatsu and Brother” is gonna be sad? I mean, we seem to be about due for the occasional dramatic segment the show sometimes dips into, and I think this might be it. Could be wrong, though.

Well, turns out I was wrong, but in exchange, I got one of the funnier episodes of the season, so it was a fair trade. Razz

This episode had so many highlights: Choromatsu’s impersonations, “My Neighbor Totoko”, the jab at Miyu Irino’s studying abroad. And best of all, some badly-needed characterization for Karamatsu. I honestly think this episode deserves higher than a B.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Loved this episode! Karamatsu has always been best boy for me (Ichimatsu comes close second) and the Dubbingmatsus were hilariously meta . This was definitely a straight A for me, but if i wanted to complain about Anne's rating system, i'd go to That Other Thread... Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
I burst out laughing at the haka dance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6