• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Made in Abyss Anime Gets Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
I'm gonna assume that Nanachi merch sold pretty well? These days merchandise selling seems to be even more of a driving factor then discs sales. Good news. They had better make a s2 with that ending.

The mangaka pointed out just how crucial the BD sales were on his Twitter.

A lot of the thanks have to go to Kinema Citrus who made a superb adaptation where essentially everything fell into place, Despite the outstanding source material they worked with, with a plot like that, there's so much that could have gone wrong...
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
This is the best possible news I could have received today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
Great news. I really wanted to see a continuation of this well crafted show. I am glad the announcement came this quick because it gives fans something to look forward to and allows to hype to build up. As far as the source material available, I would not mind seeing another 12-13 episodes with an anime original ending that concludes the story.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Wonderful early Christmas present. Hope that the wait is long enough to get just enough chapters for another 13 episodes or so but not long enough to burn out the momentum that the first season has built.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Well that was fast but not fast enough hopefully the second season will be 2 cours
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that was fast but not fast enough hopefully the second season will be 2 cours

Not fast enough? It was fast enough that you won't see your new 1 cour season before late 2019.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
That is good news indeed. I can wait that long.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Let the suffering of child explorers and their bunny healer continue! Very Happy

Wonder what the odds of Sentai giving Made in Abyss the premium box set treatment since the Japanese BluRay boxsets look so pretty.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy about this something I like got a second season nice. Hopefully the quality will stay the same.
scowler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, fantastic show very worthy of a sequel.

However, might Amazon money might be a motivating factor here? They spent big on streaming rights, surely that nudged the studio a bit more to greenlighting...

Also, nobody complaining about the dreaded Double Paywall now! MiA is single-handedly worth that cost, and the other shows like Girl's Last Tour, etc are just icing on the cake.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Wonder what the odds of Sentai giving Made in Abyss the premium box set treatment since the Japanese BluRay boxsets look so pretty.

Unless the Japanese side of things disallows it, it is 100% guaranteed that Sentai is giving Made in Abyss a premium box set and an English dub; they have done that for less deserving shows.

scowler wrote:
However, might Amazon money might be a motivating factor here? They spent big on streaming rights, surely that nudged the studio a bit more to greenlighting...

That is very likely.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Great news. I really wanted to see a continuation of this well crafted show. I am glad the announcement came this quick because it gives fans something to look forward to and allows to hype to build up. As far as the source material available, I would not mind seeing another 12-13 episodes with an anime original ending that concludes the story.

God, please, no.
keichitsu0305 wrote:

I would be shocked if they didn't, considering they did a box set for Chivalry of a Failed Knight (not that I'm complaining, it looks nice on my shelf, but it can't have been their most popular series).

Also, I really want it!
scowler wrote:

Also, nobody complaining about the dreaded Double Paywall now! MiA is single-handedly worth that cost, and the other shows like Girl's Last Tour, etc are just icing on the cake.

You're probably right. And it was definitely the show that finally got me to get AnimeStrike (I already had Prime though...). I guess you only need one big hit to sell a streaming platform.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
scowler wrote:
This is great news, fantastic show very worthy of a sequel.

Nope Amazon is still an appalling company with strike having the absolute worst sub format and trash service for everything outside of video quality. I would still rather pirate and buy the discs than support that trash heap of a company. Hopefully Sentai puts this on HiDive to give it the lift it needs to stand on its own.

Though a second season is fantastic news! Even if we have to wait till 2019, knowing it's coming is awesome. Thank you Japanese BD sales for coming through!
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
scowler wrote:

I plan to continue complaining about that company until the inevitable point where my country is rebranded The United States of Amazon.

Made in Abyss is already one of my favorite anime, and it's only just getting started; but nothing is good enough to make me get onboard with Strike. That streaming service represents all the worst things about modern capitalism. I'll certainly buy the bluray when the import version comes out, anyway.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

God, please, no.

You and no one else other than the author(maybe) knows how this is going to end in the manga. Don't knock an original ending here before you try it. I'd also welcome an anime original ending at the end of another 12-13 episode season. There is no reason, considering what this staff was already able to do, that they wouldn't be able to make a fitting end for this. And if it's the best way for us to actually get a conclusion to this series, I'm all for it. The last thing I want is a cliffhanger ending at the end of season 2 and have to go through the pain of waiting again. Maybe it's selfish, but having one of my favorite shows of all time incomplete is much worse than having it take a different direction than the source material. You can always experience both, so it's not like anyone is missing out on anything.

angelmcazares wrote:

scowler wrote:

That is very likely.

I wouldn't imagine Amazon is making any of the decisions, but yes, Amazon's money definitely is a factor here. Think about what you could do if your show was nearly profitable before it even aired? And then imagine that it sold 5k Blu-ray Box Sets on top of that. It made good money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5