• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Inuyashiki Last Hero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
I honestly wasn't a fan of the way they adapted the Yakuza chapter. I don't actually blame staff, it just doesn't look good animated. The scene with the punch has to be one of my favorite manga images of all time, but in the show it just comes off as meh. There was no impact at all. The censorship also didn't help, but of course there was no way around that.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:49 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
...definitely stronger than the man she's chosen, who's too terrified to do anything against a yakuza who stands at least a full foot taller than him.

That's not at all what I saw going on in that scene. oO Not only was he confronted with a man who was clearly far more powerful by every measure, but who was also backed up by three of his thugs, who each outmatched him as well. And yet he did stand up to them, justifiably terrified as he was.

Agreed. If he'd actually tried to physically attack them, he'd just died sooner and it might have been to late for Ichiro to revive him. Which brings me to the question, is there some kind of limit to this power? Or could he literally raise people from the grave?

As for the OP vs. Atom discussion: sure, SJ manga are all about protecting ones nakama, but then again literally everybody can become part of that group, even former enemies. Also, to me it looked like the intention of showing Hiro liking OP and his friend liking Gantz was to prove that there is no correlation between what kind of manga you like and your actual attitude towards violence. It seemed more like a commentary on society's tendency of linking RL violence to having read violent manga or played first-person shooters or whatever...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
@ Merida - I agree with your theory. I speculated that Hiro is probably called Hiro because the name sounds like the English word hero and of course he's very much not, so your observation would be in the same vein.

@ Gina Szanboti - I fully agree with your view of Satoru and how he handled the situation. He and Fumino have my vote for anime couple of the year!
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:

True, but I never said he liked Gantz, I said he looked through it. I focused on the Jump heroes. I haven't read much One Piece because Viz's Jump skipped like two hundred goddamn chapters to catch up with the Japanese and it was my only real source for all of the stuff in it, and then they went digital only and screw that, especially since you didn't even get to keep old issues but anyway - Jump heroes really are very individualistic and clannish. Especially One Piece. Your Nakama are the most important things, with everyone else being a distant second.

Your friends > your goals >>>> the world is how it goes in most Jump stories and anyone who gets in the way of the first two can go screw themselves be ause they're by definition the antagonists.

I can't remember the last time i saw a Jump hero actually mourn for people he didn't know or have some substantial connection to, even when presented with fields of dead bodies. Is that realistic? To be fair, yes, it kinda is. But that's not the point in this case.

Atom, meanwhile, which would have aired when Old Guy was about seven, if I'm recalling it's original air date, was very much "I want to save people and the world!" first, the villains were true villains, hateful and destructive and clearly evil. At best, they might have been extremely severely misguided and twisted BY evil people.

Well, if you ever become interested in the One Piece anime, Crunchyroll has all the episodes from the beginning. Funimation has them all dubbed.

Anyway, many if not all of the major story arcs in One Piece run like this:

1. Luffy and his crew travel to a new place.
2. They see people in that place being oppressed by a villain.
3. After witnessing the extent of the cruelty of the oppression, Luffy cannot bear seeing the people of that place being victimized anymore, and decides to defeat the villain in order to save them, even though he previously had absolutely no connection to any of them before he and his crew arrived at that place.
4. spoiler[ Luffy and his crew defeat the villain and minions and save the people. ] Very Happy

Which differs substantially from your description of the themes of other titles that you have seen in SJ.

Also, Hiro called Gantz crappy. In general, it is hard to imagine him being influenced by something that he disdains. As for any other SJ titles, Hiro doesn't mention any, just his favorite One Piece, so it is impossible to be sure of what else he might have read.

Anyway, since Hiro's behavior does not appear to be influenced at all by the altruistic theme of his favorite manga, it would seem odd to even consider that it would be influenced by other titles that he (and tellingly, the author) does not care enough about to even mention.

Last edited by minamikaze on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
This show goes to some dark places but at the same time it has a kernel of hope to it. I like the moral clarity of this show and it simply reflects the horrible reality that some people really do live to cause fear and pain to other people. Granted I think Ichiro and his desire to never kill is actually going to scare people even worse than if he just killed his enemies but even that the idea of never killing when taken to the logical extreme is not necessarily a kind act.

Yazu13 wrote:
Thank goodness episode 4 had a happy ending. I couldn't handle another sweet family getting murdered by the, apparently, millions of sociopaths and gangsters that inhabit this city.

PSA: "Move away! This place will kill you!" Anime hyper
I think we are looking at the activities of the worst criminals in the city though it was nice that Fumino survived. I was a bit worried that the episode would begin and end with a corpse on a bed for maximum shock value.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I kept waiting for the couple to get hit by a bus or something at the end...
I mean, I'm happy they didn't, but this show had me expecting it...
Hades_ANI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
he surmises that there must be someone else out there like Hiro and uses his knowledge to summon Ichiro.

That is right, that was a nice action. However, why did they talk about everything afterwards ? Why didn't they think that the guy, who was the best friend, wouldn't listen in sometimes to check on him ?

I have many such problems with this series, like a girl getting attacked by Yakuza can find some clothes before leaving the hotel, staying at home, when someone else can use your phone etc.

The concept is nice, the execution fails so often.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Hiro Shishigami: Troll Hunter
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:21 am Reply with quote
I think Hiro's abilities are even better than having a Death Notebook.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I think many people may have the sudden urge to kill the online trolls on the other side, some point in their life when they truly get on people’s nerves. Today’s episode may serve as a lesson: be careful of what you wish for. As malicious and cowardly their behaviors are, those trolls don’t deserve to be killed.

That being said, I found many viewers find Shishi’s actions strangely “satisfying”. Is that weird or author’s intended effect?

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's easy to see parallels between Hiro and Light Yagami at this point. After all, he's a good-looking young man who cares about his family but reveals a lack of morals after gaining power. Though what he does is villainous, some might also look upon some of his actions as just.

Light didn't care about his family.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I think many people may have the sudden urge to kill the online trolls on the other side, some point in their life when they truly get on people’s nerves. Today’s episode may serve as a lesson: be careful of what you wish for. As mailicious and cowardly their behaviors are, those trolls don’t deserve to be killed.

That being said, I found many viewers find Shishou’s actions strangely “satisfying”. Is that weird or author’s intended effect?

I think that was definitely intentional. First they established Shishigami as a crazy killer of innocent families, then we got a cathartic episode where Inuyashiki took out a bunch of despicable yakuza. At first it was completely black and white, but now Shishigami is killing rampant reporters and shameless trolls. It's not supposed to be a good thing, but it's supposed to give the viewer a dark sort of catharsis to balance out the pure catharsis of Inuyashiki taking out rapist mobsters.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
There is no question we, the viewers, were supposed to take satisfaction in Hiro's decimation of the online trolls. Hiro's mom was a sympathetic figure and the show made clear that the trolls had driven her to suicide. I have a feeling the whole thing was born of a wish-fulfillment on Hiroya Oku's part. I'm sure mangakas (and any other creative) read some pretty crappy stuff about themselves online.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
It's easy to see parallels between Hiro and Light Yagami at this point. After all, he's a good-looking young man who cares about his family but reveals a lack of morals after gaining power. Though what he does is villainous, some might also look upon some of his actions as just.

Light didn't care about his family.

Yeah. And at least Hiro never pretended to kill "for justice", all his killings happened for entirely selfish reasons and he never claimed otherwise which makes him less hypocritical than Light.

And while i agree that murder is murder, i gotta admit that watching those trolls die was kinda satisfying. I think part of it was them realizing that they were no longer able to hide behind their anonymity. They were feeling invincible in front of that keyboad until they learned they are not and turned into the pathetic losers they really are...
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
His response to this is to slaughter a slough of reporters hounding his father and then go after the denizens of 2chan (a popular Japanese message board) who have been saying nasty things about his mother and applauding her death

He killed them because they sent his address to the press, which is what caused his mother to kill herself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8