• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
In Non Non Biyori, the characters seem to make once-a-month drives to the nearest big supermarket some 50km away. There seems to be a convenience store a little closer to them, but I don't think it's their primary source of food.

Of course, Asahigaoka is a farming village (a fictional one, but still at least somewhat representative of what life is like in the most rural areas of Japan) so there is local produce available for much of the year at those unmanned "honor system" vegetable stands but they still have to buy a lot of their food elsewhere (although the candy store might also offer some packaged staples).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
If I had obscene amounts of money, I'd contract out a publisher to re-release/finish Swan in English. Nothing sadder than a translated series cut short. Crying or Very sad (And also it was just really good. Anime hyper)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Emdykay wrote:
I would pick Berserk instead and start over from scratch as I am not content with any of its adaptions^^

Since we are daydreaming I will join the fray, if I got loads of money I would start small, one 24 minutes OVA is a very BIG project IMO. Also, even if I am daydreaming I have no expectation whatsoever that any famous mangaka would accept to lend their intellectual property to john mcnoone (can you say three times fast MACROSS?), but I would do the same the MAD magazine did in the 60s and make parodies that can't be done in japan because it is illegal there (unless you OWN said franchise like in Carnival Phantasm). Also, I would go direct to Korea, Dr Movie did a fantastic job with Avatar and they are used to doing jobs with zero emotional investment (as in, you dont have to convince them you are serious).
For me what I do with Berserk would be a bit more simple. first off I would get a core group of talented Key-Animators, if need be pay for some new comers to the industry to have additional training would the supervision of an industry legend. Then I would get a central studio to do the main production and smaller studios for additional work. All the backgrounds would even be done by a in-house team or by Pablo, nice watercolour paintings. I would get the composer from the OLM version to comeback. The show would broken up into seasons, around 26 episodes, with a 6 to 10 month break in-between.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I wish the Netflix would call their shows Netflix Exclusives rather than the misnomer, Netflix "Originals". I mean, Amazon doesn't label their exclusive streaming anime "Amazon Originals" but rather and more accurately, exclusive.

And not being the producer or master rights holder, we sell all the non-streaming versions come through other publishers. I'm sure if these were truly Netflix produced orignals, Netflix would love to be the exclusive profiteer of all the releases of their show too, but of course that isn't the case.

Wouldn't it be even more ridiculous to label them "Netflix Exclusive" when they'd just show up elsewhere after a few years? Laughing
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
A few years ago Justin Sevakis wrote several pieces on how the anime industry works, and he said that a 12 episodes series typically cost between 2.5-3 million US dollars. I assume costs have risen since, but I have to imagine that if I showed up at the offices of a Japanese anime studio with 5 million dollars and demanded to have a 12 episodes series made, regardless of the kind of project, they would take me very seriously.

Probably not, actually.

+ making shitful work is labour-intensive. When you're working with a workmanlike product, you have a narrative framework to work within, you have themes and topics you can use to reinforce and guide your art design and music and what-have-you. Adapting badly-written works is like... cooking a fish full of bones and nasty-tasting bits. They have to be taken out before you start, and then you're left with a mess that doesn't have any structure.

So of your five million dollars of labour, an awful lot is going to go in background remediation just hammering the work into something adaptable. Work that anime studios, tbh, are not particularly experienced at and can't do particularly cheaply; this is stuff usually done by print-fiction editors and creative-writing teachers, the people you've just bypassed.

+ Dealing with difficult-to-deal-with people is time-consuming and stressful, and thus expensive. People who won't accept "no, what you want is a bad idea and you need to do it this way" will waste your money and time. [they also have a vastly increased tendency to stiff you on bills, btw; it's because they're both related to self-centredness/narcissism]

+ Everything that a creative person or a creative company works on goes into the CV. It develops skills and markets their skills. A good work develops interesting skills and markets them: a shit work develops skills that they don't want and sells them badly. Working on shit cuts you out from this secondary income: it costs you money.

End result, a three-million dollar contract for Sainouaru Joe's manga about the princess of the rat-people in a flooded crater on the moon actually works better for the bottom line than your five-million dollar contract about the adventures of walking cardboard boxes.
emory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
One thing I'd like to point out: Netflix does own some of their original series under their subsidiary, Netflix Studios LLC. Stranger Things is one of those shows. A lot of their newer original content not based on any existing property is produced by Netflix Studios, such as Bill Nye's new show, Lady Dynamite, Haters Back Off, Big Mouth, and a handful of their lesser knowns.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
In Non Non Biyori, the characters seem to make once-a-month drives to the nearest big supermarket some 50km away. There seems to be a convenience store a little closer to them, but I don't think it's their primary source of food.

Of course, Asahigaoka is a farming village (a fictional one, but still at least somewhat representative of what life is like in the most rural areas of Japan) so there is local produce available for much of the year at those unmanned "honor system" vegetable stands but they still have to buy a lot of their food elsewhere (although the candy store might also offer some packaged staples).

Also: japanese cuisine includes vast quantities of white rice and pickles, stuff with outstanding keeping properties.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
The person asking the question was basically asking "What connections would I need to get an anime made? Don't just tell me it's too expensive". The answer was basically, "Whatever you've written must be bad, so the studio won't care." How do you know it's bad and they won't care? Is everyone who hasn't been picked up by a major Japanese publisher automatically a bad writer?

Sure, it's not absolutely guaranteed that it's bad, but that's the likelihood. I expect that just about every time someone's come to a studio from outside of the usual publisher/producer system, the studio's looked at the project and seen that it's crap, and they've passed on it. And in general, it's a reasonable assumption that if you can't convince any producer to bankroll it, the audience isn't likely to buy it. But what does that matter if either way they're paid, one might ask, but in the entertainment business reputation counts for a lot. Being associated with something regarded by critics and audiences as a piece of crap does a lot of damage to reputation, which does have implications for future earning potential. Even if it's someone else's fault that it's crap. Hollywood for a long time had a standard pseudonym to put in the credits for when the director was unhappy enough with the quality of the finished product because of changes demanded by producers to not want their name associated with it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you've done quite a bit of the work yourself (scripting, etc.) and have hired a capable producer, the anime studios are work-for-hire and will probably take the job if they determine your staff and producer to be professional and not a ridiculous fanboy nightmare to work with.

Somehow, perhaps almost inexplicably, this description reminds me of a show about Toblerones...
BethanyP wrote:
It's normal to buy food a week in advance here in the UK, and fresh food is far more a matter of what's affordable as opposed to what keeps.

With food prices being as they are, the food I eat may have been cooked (and frozen) a week ago, with the source ingredients being a week older than that. Currency fluctuations are a bigger risk to my sustenance than any spoilage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
It's probably worth noting that a lot of the characters we see grocery shopping on their way home also live in rather small homes with small refrigerators. Stocking up won't work as well if you either have to cram everything on top of each other or leave it out. Sure, it won't go bad right away, but even fresh produce is typically kept at lower than room temperature at the store.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Emdykay wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
I've always thought that if I became super wealthy, one of the first things I'd do is fund an adaptation of Saya No Uta. It would more or less still be in the same vein as a vanity project, but it would certainly require that I have dealings with Nitroplus, Urobuchi, and more or less act as a producer for the project. I have an entire dream staff, including all of the smaller roles that many people probably don't think of already thought through. Laughing
Yes, this is all just for fun, of course, but it's something friends and I like to talk about from time to time.

While I would actually hate to see Saya no Uta actually being adapted, because I consider it one of those works that can not be improved by animating it but rather only be weakened as some of its important stylistic devices only work "on paper", I actually am curious to how that staff would look like and the approach of adapting it.

Yay, I get to talk about this some more! Laughing
Keep in mind this is pure fantasy, of course, so some of the staff connections are unlikely, though I did try to make the staff as believable as possible, and most of them have worked with each other in some capacity before.
First off, I would prefer for it to be a film. I would have Urobuchi script the whole thing, to preserve as much of the original intent and atmosphere as possible.
Other staff:
Director: Masashi Ishihama(From The New World, many of the best OPs and EDs of all time, loves dark, visceral content, butalso subtle symbolism, good at handling exposition, is a big horror fan)
Episode Direction: More than just him, but Masahiro Ando, definitely.
Character Design: Nobutake Ito or Tsunenori Saito
Animation Director: Masashi Ishihama, Takashi Kojima, Masahiro Ando
Notable Key Animators: Takashi Kojima, Yoshimichi Kameda, Chikashi Kubota, Shingo Yamashita, Tetsuya Takeuchi, Go Kimura, Ryouma Ebata
Script: Gen Urobuchi
Backgrounds: Studio Pablo of course, but I'd take Studio Easter or a number of other studios.
Photography/Compositing Director: I know people who would kill me for this, but Yoshihiro Sekiya does work that I really like, even if sometimes it doesn't blend the way some people want.
Art Director: Maybe someone like Masakaze Miyake. They have experience handling the kind of dark aesthetic I want to go for. And it seems like it would work well with Ishihama.
Animation Production: Doesn't matter terribly much, to be honest. The most likely location would be A-1 Pictures, but it would definitely fit the aesthetic of Production IG very well.

That's everything I can think of off the top of my head right now.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Grocery shopping in Japan is also less of a hassle in most places, simply because neighborhoods are extremely walkable. Stopping at the small local grocery store isn't a big deal because you can just pop in on your way home to pick up the day's fresh food, and it takes maybe five minutes to do so. There's no drive, no parking, no tracking down a shopping cart, and no careful loading of a hundred pounds of groceries into the trunk.

When I was teaching in South Korea back in 2009, I had to do something similar, especially since I didn't have a car. The major supermarket-department fusion stores were much further away and took a long time to get to by foot, but a local small store just down the street from where I was housed made it easier to at least prepare evening meals after work.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Re: Japanese groceries
Don't forget that living arrangements in Japan are also a lot smaller than in the U.S. That said, we don't all have room for huge refrigerators that would allow us to stock up on groceries. Japanese people are in general more picky about the freshness of their food.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
If I had obscene amounts of money, I'd contract out a publisher to re-release/finish Swan in English. Nothing sadder than a translated series cut short. Crying or Very sad (And also it was just really good. Anime hyper)

SAME. I eventually bought the Japanese volumes too, thinking to one day do a rough translation of them for my own benefit (and as a fun study exercise) but I haven't had the time or inclination recently, so they sit collecting dust on my shelf.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's a major reason Japanese life expectancy is still the highest in the world. (The US is #31, with the average American dying a full four years earlier than the average Japanese.)

Nah, the difference in the Japanese and American life expectancy is mostly car accidents and violence. Diet has a certain amount of effect (though somewhat counteracted by Japan's very high stomach cancer rate, which appears to be connected to consumption of pickled, smoked, and salted food, all of which are enormous parts of the Japanese diet as well as the relationship between ALDH2 deficiency, alcohol consumption, and alcohol related problems) but that's little to do with what's available in supermarkets and more about choice. (After all, Japanese-Americans live longer than Japanese in Japan.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3