• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Nostalgic OVAs That Are Out of Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I have the Plastic Little VHS. It's got some really cool animation. and boobs.

I've seeen Sol Bianca, and I remember it also having nice animation and some cool moments in the story.

As an old OVA aficionado, I'm pleasently surprised to not have heard of many of these, and will be checking a few of them out (most particularly Gestalt.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I own DVD copies of all these OVAs except for Elf Princess Rune. I have only watched Debutante Detective Corps and Princess Rouge (Legend of the Last Labyrinth as the release is called). I can't say I remember much of either, especially Princess Rouge. I went through a "buy any cheesy OVA I can get my hands on for a decent price" phase a few years back. Not quite sure how Elf Princess Rune escaped my net.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I own Gestalt. I don't remember much of it though, because I got it around the same time as Amon Saga, and I was WAY more into that show.

As for the new poll, that is just so not fair to me...there are so many openings that I have been just loving this season! I ultimately went with the OPs from Inuyashiki, Juni Taisen, and King's Game as my top picks. But special shout-outs to Garo, Altair: A Record of Battles, and all of the great stuff from Unison Square Garden this season!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Of these, I've enjoyed Elf Princess Rane and Sol Bianca the most, but my OVA tastes were a bit different overall. As others have mentioned, Shinesman was pretty hilarious, and one of the few releases where I'd consider the (highly quotable) English dub an essential part of the package. Would've been nice if it had continued, but I also get the feeling it would have turned into what it was making fun of if it had.

Puppet Princess was by the guy who did Ushio and Tora wasn't it? Wouldn't have minded seeing more of that.

Blood Reign, aka Yoma! Curse of the Undead was a pretty good 2-episode ninja/horror anime I used to pull out around Halloween.

Also on the topic of period horror, The Hakkenden was one of my favorite Pioneer releases back then; I had all the VHS tapes, and later double-dipped for the DVD.

Recently finally got around to watching Ruins Explorers which I really enjoyed. Nice fantasy setting, a bit of comedy, it actually finishes its story, and has really nice character designs (IMO).

Madox-01 was fluff, but man, did it look great! I absolutely love to see highly-detailed mecha animation from that period, and think the CGI revolution is a bit of a tragedy in that you seldom see animators really showing off in this regard anymore.

I'm still to this day unsure if this is considered an OVA or a movie, but Windaria remains one of my favorite anime of all time, and that never got an uncut subtitled release in any form. To think that Kunihiko Yuyama had a masterpiece like this in him, and has since spent the rest of his career making Pokemon. The same studio also produced distinctive gems like Birth and Leda-The Fantastic Adventure of Yoko, though neither had the narrative weight of the former.

I'd also like to add that it warms my heart to see someone else remembers Amon Saga. It was completely by-the-numbers fantasy, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The DVD has survived many a culling over the years, and I've still got it. Weathering Continent was another very straight piece of fantasy, but the gorgeous character designs (by Nobuteru Yuuki, working off of Mutsumi Inomata's original designs) and Akino Arai closing song really elevate it. It's based on the second book of a light novel series that has over 30 volumes.

There's plenty more in Japan we never got in any form. Business Commando Yamazaki was a riff on Robocop, about a salaryman who died of overwork, but was resurrected as the ultimate cyborg businessman. Kyou kara Ore ha!! was a well-animated and utterly hilarious juvenile delinquent OVA (10 eps of it). Dragon Century is another good one that should have continued (dragons in a sci-fi setting), and Dragon's Heaven is interesting for its Moebius-inspired look.

I could go on about old OVAs all day...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Dragon Century is another good one that should have continued (dragons in a sci-fi setting)

Give this man all the chocolate bananas for mentioning Dragon Century! I'm so glad someone else knows the show. And I've said the same for years; the OVA ended on too depressing a note for me. The ending is just...up in the air. : (
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought I recognized the art style of Plastic Little. The same guy did Another Lady Innocent. Anime smile + sweatdrop
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
The original Sol Bianca had an impact on my anime fandom back in the day, it's just too bad they only dubbed the first episode. Well, it wasn't a very good dub, anyway, but it was years before I saw the second episode. I only saw the first because of Encore's Action Channel. I loved the cool ship and group of cool lady space pirates. It made me want to write about space pirates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
How could you forget the early 80s OVA "Dallos"? That is considered to be among the earliest OVA titles?

It probably fails the "out of print" requirement, since it was released again by Eastern Star (Discotek) in February 2014, and is also streaming on CR.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
I have all of those on dvd but one title that seems to be missing is Compiler which was only released on vhs and never made it to dvd. I copied my 2 vhs tapes to dvd but the point is that I really think it's pretty funny and the dub is quite good.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
Some years ago,I heard about a forgotten anime Western called "Early Reins." It's about a group of women who try to stop a train robbery. I just thought I'd throw that one in there. Many of the shows mentioned on this list would be great for stuff like "Anime America" or "Anime Abandon." What do you guys think?
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
kagome1571 wrote:

Here's another one - 4 episodes on 2 VHS volumes (Final Fantasy : Legend of the Crystals) Anyone remember it?

Had that on VHS back in the good ol' VCR days. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it ever got a DVD release in R1. Urban Vision never seemed interested in giving it one. I can't help but wonder if the "Final Fantasy" name is the hold-up (due to expensiveness...)

I'll also echo the request for Video Girl Ai. I haven't seen it in years and I've had the urge to re-watch it lately but not at the second-hand prices I've seen it going for.

DIscoTek has done a wonderful job of rescuing a lot of the great and trashy OVA's of yesteryear and one I'd love to see released in R1 that never got an official release here before is Wounded Man from the same creators behind Crying Freeman and Mad Bull 34 (the marketing practically writes itself!) C'mon DiscoTek, let's make it happen!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:04 am Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Most of the results in last week's poll are misspelled (usually user-submitted results are fixed before actually posting them, but not this time apparently), and some of those in particular aren't filler arcs no matter how you look at them or what definition of filler you're going by. Heck, at least one of those was central to the plot of the entire show!

also the kakashi gaiden arc is NOT FILLER AT ALL! its technically 100% canon since it does have its story in vol 26 of the original manga. now if this was ep 101, then yes. but not the gaiden arc with him as a boy.

though i'm not surprised by the slightest that the zanpato rebellion arc is in the top 3! it was definitely interesting to see those swords in their manifested forms. though it would have been something to see the true forms of kenpachi and general yammamoto's swords. not to mention what would aizen's kyoka suigestu looks like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I have all of those on dvd but one title that seems to be missing is Compiler which was only released on vhs and never made it to dvd. I copied my 2 vhs tapes to dvd but the point is that I really think it's pretty funny and the dub is quite good.

The problem with Compiler is that it was based on a Kia Asamiya manga of the same name. As with a lot of the OVAs it expected you to have read the manga up to the point the OVA began and didn't provide much background. Unfortunately the manga never made it over here which likely affected sales.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Gunbuster didn't make it on this list. And I can say the same thing about Video Girl Ai and Agent Aika.

No one would have brought this up but I bet there must be some classic hentai titles in OVA form. Would anyone care to give me any examples?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I'm surprised Gunbuster didn't make it on this list. And I can say the same thing about Video Girl Ai and Agent Aika.

No one would have brought this up but I bet there must be some classic hentai titles in OVA form. Would anyone care to give me any examples?
I think Cream Lemon was an OVA series. Maybe Lolita Anime since it was the very first Hentai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6