• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Long Will Anime Stay Up On A Streaming Site?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

This is not helping my crippling anxiety issues. They're toying with my heart.

My philosophy is that if I haven't viewed a show by the time it has yanked, I must not have been that interested in it to begin with.

The worst is already being in a midst of viewing a series and it disappears.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
And then there are series like Monster or Evangelion that may have had releases in the past, but are in licensing limbo now. I would buy either of these titles in a heartbeat if they were released on bluray with dual-audio. It just sucks that there are so many shows out there that have zero legal options now, not even to stream.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
The simple truth is that japanese executives are annal retentive. They can't wrap their heads around the idea that there are a small group of fans that want a disc release now (with lots of extra) that will pay loads of cash for discs with ~4 episodes and there are lots of mainstream (or poor) fans that will buy one or two years later a boxset with no printed extras for a lower price. In their minds everybody MUST pay full price, otherwise they are loosing money.

I think it's more complicated than that, considering that the Japanese execs HAVE tried releasing anime at lower price points in Japan but weren't able to sell much more. The result, understandably, is that they're convinced anime MUST sell at these price points because they won't be profitable otherwise.

What they overlook is the fact that regions like China, North America, and Europe have much higher populations than Japan and thus a bigger potential of buyers, enough to lower their price points and increase sales to be more profitable in that way. That, and the anime that become timeless classics elsewhere are different than the ones that become timeless classics in Japan. (While it's not Aniplex, the biggest example I can think of is Tatsunoko's Samurai Pizza Cats, which was mostly forgettable in Japan, mostly in the realm of trivia and animation historians there, until it was a top requested franchise from westerners for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, to the confusion of the people at Capcom and at Tatsunko.)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I think it's more complicated than that, considering that the Japanese execs HAVE tried releasing anime at lower price points in Japan but weren't able to sell much more. The result, understandably, is that they're convinced anime MUST sell at these price points because they won't be profitable otherwise.

Well, one thing is for sure, japanese hardcore consumers love their limited edition releases, not only of anime, but of videogames also (and they hate releases where there are no extras llke a limited edition figure or exclusive softcover image book). Trying to sell a cheap release to your base in an effort in futility (I doubt they marketed said low cost releases outside akiba and similar), I am sure to date mainstream japanese do not buy anime discs because all their lives have been a niche product with an exorbitant prices.

Quote:
What they overlook is the fact that regions like China, North America, and Europe have much higher populations than Japan and thus a bigger potential of buyers, enough to lower their price points and increase sales to be more profitable in that way.

The problem still is their stupid fear that reverse import of anime discs would collapse the whole industry, that is why they are ok with the sabotage of the overseas market that even now AoA does with ridiculous prices and limited print runs and lack of license renewals.

Quote:
That, and the anime that become timeless classics elsewhere are different than the ones that become timeless classics in Japan. (While it's not Aniplex, the biggest example I can think of is Tatsunoko's Samurai Pizza Cats, which was mostly forgettable in Japan, mostly in the realm of trivia and animation historians there, until it was a top requested franchise from westerners for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, to the confusion of the people at Capcom and at Tatsunko.)

The inverse also happens, Hyouka was only recently released by Funimation because they asked for too much money because it was very popular in japan, but if you do not know japanese most people will not think it is interesting.

Bottom line is that unlike japanese car makers, anime producers still think of the japanese market as their #1 consumer and the international market, well, most of the time japanese media executives are clueless, look at daisuki and crackle.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Well, one thing is for sure, japanese hardcore consumers love their limited edition releases, not only of anime, but of videogames also (and they hate releases where there are no extras llke a limited edition figure or exclusive softcover image book). Trying to sell a cheap release to your base in an effort in futility (I doubt they marketed said low cost releases outside akiba and similar), I am sure to date mainstream japanese do not buy anime discs because all their lives have been a niche product with an exorbitant prices.

They could also do multiple releases for different audiences: A cheap one for the viewers, an expensive one for the collectors, and maybe something in between. Hollywood, especially Disney, has been doing this for decades. But for anime, that doesn't work either. Outside of the late night anime niche, there hasn't been much interest. I think that is the issue there: There are other problems with trying to sell to a wider audience, so they've decided to sell to a narrow audience who give them lots of money. They've pigeonholed themselves.

mangamuscle wrote:
The problem still is their stupid fear that reverse import of anime discs would collapse the whole industry, that is why they are ok with the sabotage of the overseas market that even now AoA does with ridiculous prices and limited print runs and lack of license renewals.

You cannot reverse import streams though, which is where I think people are getting frustrated with Aniplex of America. Someone high up, or higher up than AoA, wants the home videos to be the main source of income when that isn't quite as viable outside of Japan.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote
People love to say, "that's why I buy discs!" and I more or less agree. The problem is that likely the majority of what I like enough to buy doesn't get a disc release. Or the first season does, but season 2 doesn't. Or a different publisher gets the sequel and the release is totally different, way more expensive and not worth purchasing. I'm certainly a collector, but I've somewhat fallen out of love with purchasing anime physically due to how unpredictable and finicky the market is. Having some level of OCD, it's incredibly irritating to only have part of a series, or to have multiple releases for a series that are all different looking and incompatible. I buy things that get complete releases still, but there is just too much that is not worth it. Not sure if there is a better option, but the physical market for anime kind of sucks if you aren't in Japan(yes, I know how the prices are there, but at least they get nearly everything on disc).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
An example of a possibly unpopular anime (streaming view wise) is "Asura Cryin'" Season 2. That was a Fall 2009 anime and it's still on Crunchyroll.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
They could also do multiple releases for different audiences: A cheap one for the viewers, an expensive one for the collectors, and maybe something in between. Hollywood, especially Disney, has been doing this for decades. But for anime, that doesn't work either. Outside of the late night anime niche, there hasn't been much interest. I think that is the issue there: There are other problems with trying to sell to a wider audience, so they've decided to sell to a narrow audience who give them lots of money. They've pigeonholed themselves.

Indeed. Casual fans aren’t the ones buying every DVD and Blu-ray releases. The hardcore fans are since they’re the ones who want to own every single episode of their favorite shows, regardless of the price. Casual fans may buy a couple compilation DVDs, but never every volume of the DVD singles or box sets. Compilation DVDs wouldn’t work for serialized shows, so it’s either the multiple-volume DVD singles or box sets, which, again, casual fans aren’t gonna buy. So for those reasons, cheaper-priced releases wouldn’t work for niche shows. It’ll only work for mainstream shows.
Saidah Gilbert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
What's the point of buying DVDs if in a few years the DVDs will stop working either through corruption of data or damage to the disc itself? That's why I'm glad for all these streaming sites. If you don't get to watch it while it's streaming, well, I just shrug and move on.

Downloading digitally seems like a better idea to me especially if you can transfer it to unlimited devices as well as have backups. A pity that doesn't exist in the real world, though.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
"Going digital" by ripping DVDs can be done with some releases, usually older ones. Don't have any experience with blu-rays... yet. It is just an ongoing race between the sides. As long as I own the disc, and don't distribute, I think it's reasonable. Although digging to find the right software can be a pain.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Saidah Gilbert wrote:
What's the point of buying DVDs if in a few years the DVDs will stop working either through corruption of data or damage to the disc itself?

I shudder at the very thought. Those (flimsy plastic) discs have metallic coatings! Woe betide anyone who'd suggest they are impermanent and prone to decay! We all know how dear they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

What they overlook is the fact that regions like China, North America, and Europe have much higher populations than Japan and thus a bigger potential of buyers, enough to lower their price points and increase sales to be more profitable in that way.

Japan trying to win over western audience never really works out either. Space Dandy, Neo Yokio, etc. It's all bombing either way because nobody in the west cares and nobody in Japan cares. A lose/lose situation.

What they should do is track which anime gets in the western spotlight and capitalize on it as fast as they can while the momentum is still going, to not have situations like with Nichijou when the goods start being sold in the west 4 years after the show aired.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
Indeed. Casual fans aren’t the ones buying every DVD and Blu-ray releases. The hardcore fans are since they’re the ones who want to own every single episode of their favorite shows, regardless of the price. Casual fans may buy a couple compilation DVDs, but never every volume of the DVD singles or box sets. Compilation DVDs wouldn’t work for serialized shows, so it’s either the multiple-volume DVD singles or box sets, which, again, casual fans aren’t gonna buy. So for those reasons, cheaper-priced releases wouldn’t work for niche shows. It’ll only work for mainstream shows.

Do you mean compilation DVDs as in those "The Best of..." and themed groups of episodes? I can see why they wouldn't work for serialized shows, though I have seen them done with semi-serialized ones (in which episodes have self-contained stories but have wider season-long arcs or lasting changes).

As for box sets, at least for some time, they were popular enough for western TV series to be sold pretty much anywhere. The Simpsons, in particular, was a top seller, and definitely the casual fans bought those. But, like you mentioned, that only works for mainstream shows (and The Simpsons was as mainstream as a show could get), and anime is either pretty far off the mainstream, even in Japan, or are aimed at kids and, as the episodes stick close to the status quo and are largely disposable, would prioritize on the toys and games rather than home video.

Zin5ki wrote:
Saidah Gilbert wrote:
What's the point of buying DVDs if in a few years the DVDs will stop working either through corruption of data or damage to the disc itself?

I shudder at the very thought. Those (flimsy plastic) discs have metallic coatings! Woe betide anyone who'd suggest they are impermanent and prone to decay! We all know how dear they are.

Yep, a well-preserved one, and one whose data is actually etched onto the surface rather than simply written on, can last for quite a while. Much longer than magnetic tape or film, and certainly longer than the contracts for streaming services.

Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
Japan trying to win over western audience never really works out either. Space Dandy, Neo Yokio, etc. It's all bombing either way because nobody in the west cares and nobody in Japan cares. A lose/lose situation.

What they should do is track which anime gets in the western spotlight and capitalize on it as fast as they can while the momentum is still going, to not have situations like with Nichijou when the goods start being sold in the west 4 years after the show aired.

While I would agree that the Japanese companies should pay more attention to what catches on abroad, Neo Yokio was never Japanese to begin with, and Space Dandy was a ratings winner on Toonami, albeit soon forgotten after the show had ended.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Do you mean compilation DVDs as in those "The Best of..." and themed groups of episodes?

Yes, that's I meant.

Quote:
I can see why they wouldn't work for serialized shows, though I have seen them done with semi-serialized ones (in which episodes have self-contained stories but have wider season-long arcs or lasting changes).

Which semi-serialized shows have you seen compilation DVDs for? Just curious.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Saidah Gilbert wrote:
Quote:

What give you this idea? I've never had a commercially printed DVD stop working through data corruption. I've been buying anime DVDs since 2000 and still have some I bought back then that work perfectly. Seventeen years is not "a few years" and they show no sign that they will not last another 17 years. Also what is going to damage the disc? Unlike vinyl records the reading mechanism does not wear the surface and any reasonable care will prevent physical damage.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4