• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Heck was ID-0 About?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
If a show gets a bad review, it probably wasn't very well received by a good portion of the audience it was trying to appeal to(on topic, ID-0 really has not been well-received by most people).

Nonetheless, individual reviewers are still only human. They can be interested in a genre but inevitably write from a mindset that favors certain approaches and dismisses others, which doesn't tell us anything about what point of view is more common or predominant. For instance, take a look at Gundam fans and how many disagreements they have about Iron-Blooded Orphans. I wouldn't say that the IBO reviews on ANN, despite being closer to my own views on the subject, are necessarily representative in that case. Nor would I automatically assume the opposite.

Furthermore, various situations work against specialized genre shows like ID-0 that lack widespread exposure, choose to use a lot of 3DCG, aren't offering instant gratification and do not seek to have broad mainstream appeal. The intended target audience is going to be limited on a structural level. This isn't your specific argument, of course, but if we were to extrapolate and assume that overall popularity is what truly matters, then it's not even necessary to read or discuss any reviews. Sales figures alone could tell us what "most people" think. But, at least in my opinion, it is ultimately never a matter of whatever the perceived numbers suggest (and besides, we have no real figures that can closely track the opinions of Netflix viewers in this case, which would tend to outnumber everyone else, sooner or later).

Rather, I feel shows should be judged on their own merits and, if at all possible, by comparing and contrasting both positive and negative arguments about their contents. That's part of why I have already written down my own thoughts on the show and provided links to other external opinions which differ from what appears to be the local consensus around here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2