• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Will Netflix Producing Anime Change the Industry?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
This is going to be great, until they do what usually happens in situations like this and eventually throw out everything that made anime popular in the first place to "appeal to a wider audience". Something niche becomes mainstream and everyone loves it, so OBVIOUSLY the solution is to remove everything that made it unique and likeable to appeal to that wider audience amirite?!?! It's not like that stuff is what brought them in in the first place!

First, when anime was famous in the 90s and early 2000s, were anime series as dumbed down as you say they will? Remember that Cowboy Bebop(as mainstream as it looks) was done for Japan first, but it didn´t succeed there for we don´t know why, instead it succeded in the west, and Shinichiro Watanabe´s later series still have some mainstream appeal in spite of being anime series(Space Dandy could be right at home in american TV as a good Futurama clone).

Second, what kind of anime appeal will be lost by making more mainstream anime series as you say? I bet that there will be some fanservicey series there, but at least there will be less 'imouto', less unnecessary fanservice for some pervy otakus and stuff that might be uncomfortable. Heck, one of the upcoming series for Netflix is basically an idol-inspired series(Lost Song, from Liden Films, starring singer Konomi Suzuki).

Chrono1000 wrote:
The problem with Netflix trying to make anime is that they most likely have zero idea why people like anime. They will get rid of the fanservice to make the feminists happy and they will get rid of the violence to make it safe for the kids. There is a very good chance Netflix will make watered down stuff that kind of looks like anime but that is basically no different than Ben 10 or Sofia the First.

Third, the fact that Netflix acquired stuff like Ajin and Knights of Sidonia, which are rated R, and Seven Deadly Sins, which features tons of blood, and that Devilman Crybaby, an upcoming R rated anime, means that they are willing to accept any kind of pitched movie or series, as long as it has potential for the service.

And remember people, at the end of the day, Netflix as a company doesn´t produce the shows. They don´t have in-house people to make the movies and shows. They offer the money and opportunities for anyone to make the series or movie they want. You´d never hear of David Fincher making a series or movie for a streaming service, and he made Mindhunters. And Neo Yokio was them offering the money and opportunity to Ezra Koenig to do what he wanted, even if it was bad.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Small scale committes are vulnerable to a big player taking over the market. Ask all those small wrestling territory owners in the 80’s that got either bought out or bankrupted by Vince McMahon.
Salaryman Rintarō

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
I bet that there will be some fanservicey series there...

Average American TV-show has tons more sex than average anime. There will be big increase in that department.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
This is going to be great, until they do what usually happens in situations like this and eventually throw out everything that made anime popular in the first place to "appeal to a wider audience". Something niche becomes mainstream and everyone loves it, so OBVIOUSLY the solution is to remove everything that made it unique and likeable to appeal to that wider audience amirite?!?! It's not like that stuff is what brought them in in the first place!

That is why what Justin said in the second-to-last paragraph is so troubling to me. I've seen it over and over in video games where a developer that seems to have a solid grasp of a smaller, but dedicated audience, gets involved with a big publisher that tells them they need to appeal to a broader audience, and end up making something that wears the skin of previous games, but plays like a mashup of whatever is deemed popular.

Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
But how aggressively these companies push anime towards the general public remains to be seen. The impact could be relatively small, like when Random House and Kodansha joined forces for manga publishing, and the end result was simply more books being published in English faster. Or we could end up seeing ads for new series on bus stops and billboards in the middle of shopping malls all over America.

Am I right to be concerned here? As much as I like to assume the best of people, and thus to expect that these corporations will respect the intrinsic narrowness of anime's international appeal, the magnitude of the changes that have already occurred suggests otherwise.

For what it's worth, I share your concern. If being an avid video game player has shown me anything, it's that narrow appeal and big companies don't seem to go together.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I think the best thing about all of this new streaming money is simply more anime made for the sake of itself. Not for the sake of a book publisher, or a toy manufacturer, or anything else. But made as the primary product. When anime sells itself, and is no longer an advertisement for something else, we'll certainly see more complete adaptations and sequels. That's what I'm looking forward to!

Nate148 wrote:
To all the Netflix will kill anime folks likely Netflix will send the money and let the anime guys make the anime they want because they know anime and the Netflix originals fans are mostly not the same

Creators have basically already confirmed this to be the case anyway. Like, some have even complained about having too much creative freedom! That says it all right there. Netflix doesn't want to change anime, they just want to tap into the market. So they are letting creators make what they want and getting the exclusive rights to that property. Maybe that'll change down the line, but it seems like they are pretty loose with what they consider acceptable so far. I'm pretty sure they've got the numbers on HOTD and Elfen Lied, and back when they still had ratings, other than Death Note, those two shows had the highest number of ratings of any anime on the site. I remember because that was the reason I watched both when I was just getting into anime. Laughing
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
My wish for Netflix and other deep pocketed Western media providers is for them to stay away from Japanese produced, late night anime series. And instead produce 8-10 truly original anime shows per year.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The industry sure is changing and is deeply in need of change but the original streaming bubble is very real too. Big anime studios should better watch out to not put all eggs in 1 internet basket (ah the late 90s) and Netflix doesn´t immediately equal good. They deliberately produce a solid amount of trash TV too.
That anime output will be something to see for sure but Castlevania, BoJack and co. are as good as it get´s today too. My wish is thus for a high amount of original content, even if even Netflix had notable financial misfires with those. The bewildering Sense 8 says hello. Not that anime can cost much by near definition. The big takeaway here is that Netflix will get a lot of very cheap content, so that´s why they promise so much of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I think the best thing about all of this new streaming money is simply more anime made for the sake of itself. Not for the sake of a book publisher, or a toy manufacturer, or anything else. But made as the primary product. When anime sells itself, and is no longer an advertisement for something else, we'll certainly see more complete adaptations and sequels. That's what I'm looking forward to!

That would be nice if it came to pass. The biggest frustration I have with anime is the number of shows that never get anything resembling a conclusion since whatever it was advertising didn't see a good enough uptick in sales. There is a certain sense of dread that I get when a show is on episode 8 or 9 of 12 and still clearly on the setup phase.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
And the people that complain that too much anime is been made, they don't see nothing yet. The number of anime made in the future can be more than on their wilder dreams.

What this means is that will bring more work for studios and new studios will appear so they can keep with the demand and even some studios will work only for the global market.

Folkstad Ohm wrote:
I suspect any impact will be more in terms of relative numbers than absolute numbers. In other words, if there are substantial subsets of Netflix subscribers who like anime without fanservice or violence, then Netflix will serve that market as well. In that case the relative number of fanservice- and violence-heavy anime may decline, while the absolute number of such shows remains constant or even increases.

Here's what worries me:

Anime Industry Report 2016 Summary wrote:
The total production minutes of TV animations in 2015 were 115,533 minutes, decreasing by 3.7% (4,429 min decrease) from the previous year when it recorded its 3rd highest. This indicates present TV animation production capacity in Japan (i.e. the capacity limit of animation drawing) is around 120,000 min. at maximum.

There might not actually be enough talent to make much more anime than they're already making. Are companies willing to do what it'd take to expand that talent pool? And even if they start paying more, how fast can new animators be trained?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Another thing to consider is that companies like Netflix, Amazon, & Sony being more hands-on, per se, won't result in the death of traditional licensing companies, either. Netflix & Amazon don't do physical releases on their own, so those shows that they'll be streaming will still need to be licensed for physical release. Hell, Netflix messing with the old production committee style could likely make it easier for companies to get a hold of some anime for home video, as there would likely be less of a labyrinth & fewer people to get approvals from.

Also, there is always the vast catalog of older anime to go back to, if newer series wind up being tougher to get a hold of due to these. We're already seeing some of that with HIDIVE, which is exclusively streaming anime like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Urashiman, & Xabungle to help create a catalog of titles for people to watch, & Discotek is constantly going back & releasing (& re-releasing) older titles.
Salaryman Rintarō

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
There might not actually be enough talent to make much more anime than they're already making.

Resources come by reducing production volume on other anime. Late-night anime will likely almost completely disappear.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I fervently hope that that this will lead to better pay and lower hours for animators; my fear is that that nothing will change.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
My pessimistic view is that anime will be mashed into goop, then shoveled out to the appropriate demographic as needed. All I have to do is look at what happened to the video game industry to see what lies in the future for anime. There will still be some good shows made, but the number of quirky or risky anime shows will continue to decline (as, IMO, they have been for a while now).

I realize that this is a personal perception issue for me, and I might just not be willing to see things in a better light due to sheer stubbornness, but even so... I think having all of these big players involved in anime will ultimately result in less anime being produced that I will really like, as opposed to merely tolerate.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Salaryman Rintarō wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
There might not actually be enough talent to make much more anime than they're already making.

Resources come by reducing production volume on other anime. Late-night anime will likely almost completely disappear.

Not in your dreams. Most animators and people related to anime come to the industry because they want to do that kind of anime.
Most animators, directors, writers, seiyu,etc are otaku that love what many in west hate. They love fan-service shows, fujoshi and yuri shows and imouto shows.
All sacrifices, long work hours and bad salaries are tolerated because they love to do that shows.

You think they are willing to only do anime for the west? Really!?
Even if they pay better, if they can't do the kind of anime they love, they will probably work elsewhere, like in games, manga or LN illustration.
Less late night anime will means less people wanting to enter the anime industry.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
The problem with Netflix trying to make anime is that they most likely have zero idea why people like anime. They will get rid of the fanservice to make the feminists happy and they will get rid of the violence to make it safe for the kids. There is a very good chance Netflix will make watered down stuff that kind of looks like anime but that is basically no different than Ben 10 or Sofia the First.

Third, the fact that Netflix acquired stuff like Ajin and Knights of Sidonia, which are rated R, and Seven Deadly Sins, which features tons of blood, and that Devilman Crybaby, an upcoming R rated anime, means that they are willing to accept any kind of pitched movie or series, as long as it has potential for the service.

Yeah, except I'd like to see Netflix aware of anime enough to pitch in on an anime with a sense of humor that ISN'T dark, complex and rated R. Heck, I'd like Seven Deadly Sins a lot better if characters weren't skewered and geysering blood after every lighter humorous scene with King & Diane or Meliodas & Elizabeth.

Netflix is still grasping the "marketing demographic" of hearing that anime is the other half of what's driving the streaming market (they already have the Stranger Things bingies), and somewhere along the line someone told them that Anime = Eva & Cowboy Bebop, because that's what we believed back in the 00's, the last time the mainstream noticed that Anime Was a Thing. Ie., either hard-fantasy, blood-noir, or mecha-action, something that's "hard" and "cool" and "artsy" enough to establish core fans like the two previous saints of anime did.
Sell a Netflix exec on the idea of funding Mr. Osomatsu, Recovery of an MMO Junkie or Kemono Friends. Go ahead. TRY. Wink

Blood- wrote:
Very interesting stuff. As it turns out, I became an anime fan in early 2009 when the NA anime publishing industry was just emerging from the gooey mess left by a burst bubble. ADV had just become Sentai and CR was just starting to stream currently airing anime titles on its site. A lot has changed since then and it seems more changes are a-comin'.

And that's just about the time that streaming (although just Funi.com and pirate-Crunchyroll) was the Last Industry Standing, and started becoming the next thing.

Me, I looked at the thread header and said "Wait, did somebody necro-post an Answerman thread from three months ago?", and then realized, no, it was fresh, and I was thinking of the "Will Amazon streaming anime change industry?" panic-question from a while ago.
The answer to Netflix is the same as to Amazon: Either a big fat guffaw of "....(pfft!) NO! Laughing ", or a cynical head-shaking that Japanese anime studios will continue making their hit manga titles, and Netflix will only pitch in on the ones their marketers think Anime Is.

And where do we get these questions? Either from Crunchyroll/Funi fans who believe there'll be some shows they'll have to, gasp, PAY Amazon or Netflix to watch, or from Netflix fans who believe they can only get their streaming anime from there--because Netflix is Everything--and are worried there'll be anime shows they'll have to get somewhere else and won't know where.
And then, of course, we start sharpening our Edges and hearing from all the angry fans who don't want to pay any of them, and say "Why not live the free life of a pirate, yo-ho!...We rule the fan seas, and we'll blow those scurvy greedy dogs out of the water!" Errr, yeah. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10