• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
My special convention purchase:

Your Name BD.

The first Blu-ray I've purchased by my own accord, but surely worth it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Yep, an incredibly solid choice as your first BD purchase, Zin5ki. Well done!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
@Zin5ki

Do you, by any chance, have a Bluray player? Laughing

How many Bluray disks have you bought not of your own accord, and why would you do that?
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Sunday morning comic shop raid:

Your Lie in April novel
Complex Age 5-6 (end)
Anonymous Noise 4
The Demon Prince of Momochi House 10
Assassination Classroom 18
Kiss Him Not me 11-12
Love Stage 7 (end)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Train, train, choo choo train, our team's gonna win this game (preordered Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress LE from Rightstuf).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Bleach 3in1 Edition 21

It seems like the Skip Beat kick-starter rewards are finally shipping.
jdotaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
recently grabbed samurai champloo boxset for 5 bucks at goodwill along with a bunch of anime the wife liked that i have not heard of also cheap at goodwill

looking forward to getting a gundam windchime at a local shop but honestly don't shop much
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
My special convention purchase:
Your Name BD.
The first Blu-ray I've purchased by my own accord, but surely worth it!

@Zin5ki

Do you, by any chance, have a Bluray player? Laughing

How many Bluray disks have you bought not of your own accord, and why would you do that?
Obviously, all previous Blu-rays were bought under duress and at gunpoint. Its stressful to be a DVD buyer hanging out with all us elitist BD snobs. Wink Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Speaking for myself, I have bought exactly one BD not of my own accord so it does happen. The title? Nichijou.

I played it once, never again. Still love the DVDs though. Japan, you got to get over yourself... if physical media is dying then the only thing you're doing by demanding burnt in subtitles is hastening the process.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac

The nichijou Bluray is part of a Bluray/DVD combo pack. Do I understand that this is the only Funimation produced show you have bought in the last several years since they went to combo packs? Wow! Now even Sentai is selling combo packs for some of their non CE editions. You may be out of physical media sooner than you think.

I understand that technically the subtitles are not "burnt in" rather they are locked in by the software on the disk. I do agree that it makes little difference if you can't shut them off. My complaint is just the opposite. I like to use the subtitles in the rare occasions when I watch the dub version of a show. This has not been available since they started locking them for the sub version. Regardless the improved picture and sound quality make up for minor inconvenience.

I should point out that AoA disks do not have locked subtitles on the blurays
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
Here's what I got last Night:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/kHlb7mft.jpg?1[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/kHlb7mf.jpg?1[/img]
Now all I need is a picture frame for the poster!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
Pre-ordered Kiznaiver off Rightstuf just now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
Just bought Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix off E-Bay. Second time should be the charm to complete this as my last owned copy had scratched up discs keeping me from watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Animegomaniac

The nichijou Bluray is part of a Bluray/DVD combo pack. Do I understand that this is the only Funimation produced show you have bought in the last several years since they went to combo packs? Wow! Now even Sentai is selling combo packs for some of their non CE editions. You may be out of physical media sooner than you think.

I understand that technically the subtitles are not "burnt in" rather they are locked in by the software on the disk. I do agree that it makes little difference if you can't shut them off. My complaint is just the opposite. I like to use the subtitles in the rare occasions when I watch the dub version of a show. This has not been available since they started locking them for the sub version. Regardless the improved picture and sound quality make up for minor inconvenience.

I should point out that AoA disks do not have locked subtitles on the blurays

Nichijou is the only subbed BD, all the others I have are dubbed so they can be played clean. If I buy the show it's usually because I like the animation and I want to watch it without the subtitles. And yes, I used to watch English dubbed DVDs with subtitles on as well, especially with comedy series just to see how they matched up.

I didn't know the subtitles weren't locked in on AoA BDs, that's a handy bit of knowledge to have. On the other hand, given the Japanese competitive pricing, there's very little need for them to be locked in. I only have one AoA show and it's a sub only DVD... which I wouldn't have bought if it was a BD.

It's funny... back on CRT TVs, the subtitles were on the black bars of a widescreen image and things worked out ok. We get a much sharper image with a greater depth of color thanks to HD BDs but now we can't watch it clean if it's not localized.

I do feel like I'm the only one who's really bothered by it. "It's not an annoyance, it's a necessity. Really, it's just better to watch it like the Japanese do anyway!" Yeah but that means turning the subtitles off then, right? It's much like my experience with foreign films: The best way is to watch them in its original language and dubbed will always be a distant second. Subbed is in last place however because it is not the same thing as watching the work in its intended format; Watching, listening and reading is not the same as watching and listening.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac

Ah, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying you hadn't bought any Blurays at all, which is hard to do with combo packs so prevalent. I can see locked subtitles being a problem based on how you like to watch things. You certainly are not the only one bothered by locked subtitles. Others have complained though they haven't been too clear as to why. It is not an issue for me, but everyone gets to enjoy things their own way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1303 of 1403