• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Tsuredure Children. It's a charming and funny show. Having watched 6 episodes, I think my favourite couple might be the comedy duo, but I've liked all of the pairings so far. Except maybe not the glasses-wearing dude and the delinquent blonde girl. The glasses-wearing dude is just kind of dubious. The show has made me laugh multiple times and also offered a lot of cute "aww" moments. So it's a good show.

Also I've watched 4 episodes of Re:Creators. First it seemed cool enough, but then there were 2 episodes back to back with nothing but talking. And that just kind of killed my interest towards the show somehow. So I haven't decided whether I want to keep on watching yet.

There are also a few more shows I want to follow weekly, but I haven't caught up with them yet. I definitely intend to watch The Ancient Magus' Bride. In preparation for watching that show I already watched the OVAs which were decent. In addition to that I probably plan to follow Just Because!, Dies Irae or Juuni Taisen: Zodiac War. Or maybe watch two out of those three. I dunno. I haven't decided yet. These new anime seasons always come too quickly. They need to wait for me, man.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
My gf and I have been in a bit of an action mood as of late. Been a lot of stress with family and work so it's been nice to watch some fun action titles and not have to think too hard. We just marathoned through One Punch Man and Dimension W. We just started Mob Psycho 100 and Noragami as well.

On my own I figured I'd finally get to watching My Hero Academia. See what the fuss is all about.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Demon City Shinjuku - Last year, I re-watch Wicked City in honor of Halloween. This year, I decided to re-watch another classic from Kawajir in honor of Halloween. I still have found memories of me watching this anime back in 1997 on Sci-Fi when I was 6 years old. Demon City Shinjuku is not the best anime from Kawajir, but it's still pretty good in my opinion.

The animation still pretty good-looking for a title that came out almost 30 years ago. The large amount of detail and the coloring in the anime is amazing. Everything has a dark, gothic and spooky feel to it. The atmosphere in this movie really captures the tone of the anime and it works very well. Not to mention the choreography of the fight scenes are very well done too.

I also love the monster designs in this movie. It's a shame that we rarely get cool looking monsters in anime these days in my opinion. I also enjoy the story in the anime because I really love the idea of a portal to hell in the city of Shinjuku. It really makes feel like that death is around the corner and any creepy demon can pop up at anytime. The story adds more to the creepy atmosphere in the anime.

I do admit that the biggest issue with this movie is that characters could have been better. However I still found them to be pretty enjoyable and the main villain is a fun character. Kyōya Izayoi is still a pretty interesting main character with a fun personality to him. Everyone else could have been written better with some more depth, but I still found them to be memorable.

Demon City Shinjuku does have some pacing issues, but I feel like that helps to create the dark, creepy and gothic tone to the anime. It didn't bother me compare to most people to be honest. Motokazu Shinoda also did a pretty good job on the musical score too. The Japanese voice acting is solid and I would highly recommended to watch it in Japanese instead.

The English dub for this anime is pretty bad and it was done by the infamous Manga Entertainment UK. They are well-known for producing bad English dubs with tons of swearing to make anime to feel more edgy in the 90's. I do have a somewhat nostalgic soft spot for the English dub because I saw it as a kid on TV. However I can still admit that the English dub is still pretty bad.

Overall, Demon City Shinjuku is still a pretty fun anime with great animation, great atmosphere and a cool story. It's a demonic experience that makes me wish that we had more dark, creepy and gothic demonic anime these days. Grade: 7/10
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:07 am Reply with quote
Breezed through the first season of Quanzhi Fashi. Highly watchable, even if it wasn't terribly good. The show was very predictable but still lots of fun anyway. Props to Mizurex33 for his hilarious subs which were a highlight of the viewing experience.

I look forward to watching the second season once it is completed.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Watching Little Busters Refrain, somehow managed to watch episode 4 before episode 3. Didn't even notice, which shows how much attention I'm paying to all this drama.

Can't I just have more celebrations like the Pancake Party from the first episode? That was great.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
On my own I figured I'd finally get to watching My Hero Academia. See what the fuss is all about.

And just like that I watched all of season 1 in 2 nights. Didn't even realize I had watched that many episodes so quickly either. Not bad. I've seen better SJ shows, but I've also seen much worse. I do like how several of the side characters get at least a little time to show off their powers some.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

And just like that I watched all of season 1 in 2 nights. Didn't even realize I had watched that many episodes so quickly either. Not bad. I've seen better SJ shows, but I've also seen much worse. I do like how several of the side characters get at least a little time to show off their powers some.

I think MHA is my fourth favorite SJ anime of the new decade. The top 5 probably looks like this at the moment...

5. Boruto
4. My Hero Academia (it will almost certainly rise up a few numbers next season)
3. Assassination Classroom
1. Hunter x Hunter 2011/JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Tied due to both being exceptionally amazing).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching and enjoying Elegant Yokai Apartment Life since it began at the beginning of the Summer season, but there is a relatively new element that is driving me nuts. At the beginning of the second cours, the series introduced three new characters: two new teachers and a new student. The new student is Konatsu Yamamoto who is voiced by my beloved waifu, Rie Kugimiya. (I also just noticed that she "voices" the character of Kuri, a young boy ghost who doesn't actually talk, but makes the occasional sound).

Anyhoo, Yamamoto clearly has some issues. She joined the English club at school that Inaba, the MC, is in and turned off a lot of the others with her chippy behaviour. I'm interested in finding out what her deal is but the show refuses to actually shed any light on her situation. I'm sure it will eventually, but it's taking its sweet time. At one point in the latest episode, Inaba actually called out to her...

...and then was promptly pulled away by another character, grrr-grrr. The preview for next episode indicates she won't be a part of it. Come on, stupid show, deal with the story line I'm most interested in, ya big dopes.
Nearon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I finally decided to watch Shingeki no Kyojin! I got to the fourth episode and god, this was one of the best decisions I've ever made !
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
Nearon wrote:
I finally decided to watch Shingeki no Kyojin! I got to the fourth episode and god, this was one of the best decisions I've ever made !

The second season is almost universally considered to be better than the first. And not just a little bit either, I mean significantly better.

So if you love season one then you should take some heart medication before starting season two, or else you might die of happiness.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have been watching and enjoying Elegant Yokai Apartment Life since it began at the beginning of the Summer season, but there is a relatively new element that is driving me nuts. At the beginning of the second cours, the series introduced three new characters: two new teachers and a new student. The new student is Konatsu Yamamoto who is voiced by my beloved waifu, Rie Kugimiya. (I also just noticed that she "voices" the character of Kuri, a young boy ghost who doesn't actually talk, but makes the occasional sound).

Anyhoo, Yamamoto clearly has some issues. She joined the English club at school that Inaba, the MC, is in and turned off a lot of the others with her chippy behaviour. I'm interested in finding out what her deal is but the show refuses to actually shed any light on her situation. I'm sure it will eventually, but it's taking its sweet time. At one point in the latest episode, Inaba actually called out to her...

...and then was promptly pulled away by another character, grrr-grrr. The preview for next episode indicates she won't be a part of it. Come on, stupid show, deal with the story line I'm most interested in, ya big dopes.

I am right on that with you Blood-. Having just watched episode 17.

I actually disliked the show quite a bit earlier. I found how it used characters was obnoxious, with not really much to make me feel invested before it suddenly brought in the element of giving the main character some powers, which happened late enough that I felt the show could not decide on one thing to do properly. But with it being double length it feels like the petit has found a place in our main character, Inaba, feels like a proper part of the show and he has been growing into it. I am actually found myself interested in the current cases, even after I really was not that interested in the other teacher case since it felt like it was just excusing things as being yokai related, up until where it actually managed to land the end of that arc.

The new student has had me interested from the beginning and it is killing me that the show won't let her be helped yet, since she clearly needs someone to talk to her. Not straight up saying what she should do, but to show that someone can be on her side, see things how she does, and she can see things that others are. A lot of what she is doing feels like a call for help, and she clearly has things she could contribute.

How that would work might really be with what this episode did in showing how frustrating going about that wrong would be. That the one teacher is trying to be so proper or good, that she is coming across as condescending in trying to be helpful while not actually knowing what you are talking about, and straight up forcing it on others. It is actually kind of surprising that an anime would show this, since Japan seems to have a thing for being proper and following the rules. It kind of reminds me of a point that Interviews with Monster Girls did, where people being too aware and sensitive to Machi's head situation was actually a detriment to, and that there was something about a good area being a balance of not ignoring, but also not making it the be all and end all about them. Being there for someone without it being like they cannot help themselves, but giving them the right amount of support to at least show that you are there for them without it just looking like a token gesture.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
@ DP - I've actually been a fan of the show from the beginning, but I've been aware that other people view it negatively. It is an odd duck of a show, not being particularly plot driven but then not being particularly episodic, either. I appreciate that they often handle things in a different way. For example, way back in the early part of the show when Inaba had moved out of the Yokai Apartments (temporarily) he had a room-mate who was standoff-ish. Inaba made a real effort to reach out to the guy, but to no avail. And we've never seen that character since. It's kind of cool when a show does something unexpected like that.

I did find the situation with the new female teacher interesting, and as you say, her attitude is not the kind we see explored in anime very often. It's just that wanting to know more about Yamamoto makes it hard to concentrate on a storyline like that. I know we won't get anything on her next week because according to the preview the episode will be about Inaba at his part-time job, but they'd better well finally deal with it the episode following or there will be HELL to pay... HELL!!!
Nearon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Nearon wrote:

The second season is almost universally considered to be better than the first. And not just a little bit either, I mean significantly better.

So if you love season one then you should take some heart medication before starting season two, or else you might die of happiness.

Ow really !! Can't wait, I'm having all the feels and it's just the beginning, I'm gasping like 100 times per sec, I absolutely love it !!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
In today's episode of "Kind of lousy shows that I like" we feature Sengoku Night Blood. This title has grown on me over the first four eppies. From my limited experience of the genre there are basically two ways that reverse harems can go: 1) the dudes are absolute pricks to the heroine and this is supposed to be "hot" somehow or 2) the dudes fall all over themselves being nice to the heroine. Fortunately, SNB falls into the later category and a large part of my enjoyment is watching the guys vie for her attention. Again, very far from being a good show, but I'm digging on it.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I also re-watch all three Devilman OVAs recently for the month of Halloween.

Devilman: The Birth and Demon Bird Sirène - They are both very faithful to the first two volumes of the manga expect for a few changes. The animation in them are very nice for titles that came out in the late 80's. I think they are both well-directed and they are a good way to introduced people to Devilman if they never read the manga before (Before CryBaby comes out if it follows the compete story).

I think the first two OVAs in my opinion are very good. If you like horror anime or anime with blood & gore similar to Berserk, The Guyver or Hellsing. You will probably like it and you should check out the manga too. If you don't like those type of stuff than you are probably not going to enjoy them.

Apocalypse of Devilman - This OVA is not link with the previous two and is alternate take on the last volume of the manga. This is my personal favorite of the Devilman anime because I love the character designs, the action and the atmosphere. The animation is really good for a title that came out in the year 2000.

I like this take on the Devilman story and it adds a cool spin on a man fighting his inner demons. I also think Amon himself is a fun character and I love his design. This OVA is a lot of fun, but I would only recommended it for fans of the manga.

This OVA has spoilers from the manga and I would recommend to read the manga first before watching this OVA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 992 of 1065