• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Video News Recap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Auto-play videos on a website == murderous rage. Ok I'm exaggerating... a little. I've already created a Stylish rule to block the embedded iframe so i don't need to ever think about it again.
Code:
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain("www.animenewsnetwork.com") {
  .zeus_iframe {
    display:none!important;
  }
}
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote
I have absolutely no interest in them being there. They seem to mess up the page layout on the browser I use and the autoplay just makes me immediately back-click on the page before finishing the article, ruining my experience defeating the entire point of the website. If you want to add a new feature, put it on a separate page and advertise on the front headlines & I might check it out IF I decide to. Otherwise, if I wanted glorified clickbait, I'd read those Anime Now articles.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
I do not mind watching video ads in Youtube because I selected to watch their video content. ANN does not create video content (never have seen the ANNcast and see no reason to) I am interested in. Even CNN, albeit autoplaying, does not include ads in the videos included in the articles of their website. Expecting to be called "entitled" in 5, 4, 3 ...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
This does confirm my thought of "I'm going to have to pay to stop them, aren't I?" prior to clicking this link. So, yeah, that's some feature.

And... honestly now... it's not about the "news recaps", it's the ads that matter.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
They're annoying. Put them there if you want but any video ad that autoplays like that needs to be fixed.
moogrin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
Don't have them autoplay. I also agree that a better location for them might be on the sidebar or something. I didn't even see it below the article but was startled and annoyed when it began autoplaying.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I have not seen those videos either. Perhaps they are disabled for subscribers.

This appears to be the case. I think I saw one prior to logging in yesterday however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:45 am Reply with quote
Haven't watched them but it looks like they auto-play. It's never a good idea to have auto-playing video on a page. Also am not sure if these videos are a necessity... Just wasted bandwidth?
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:21 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know they were recaps until I read the thread title. I just assumed they were ads.

And, like many users before me, I really don't like how they auto-play.

The video title comes up for a second(!) before the ads play, making it easy to miss. During the ads there is no video title.
It doesn't help that the title is small and partially obscured, making it even easier to miss.

Last edited by Double Mangekyo on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
Not really my thing in its current form since I'm here often enough to read most of the "news". Don't much care for the autoplay & embedding it at the bottom of everything, either, since it's like it's waiting to jump you when you scroll too far down the page.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:38 am Reply with quote
They're offensive noise that takes up space on the page, and RAM in my laptop. Get rid of them. I can read the anime news, I come here to read the anime news. I don't need to hear it as well.

At best, make it optional. Sticky top link on front page, click here for video rundown. That's good enough, but don't force it down our throats.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 am Reply with quote
I don't like them. I don't even know what they are for. When it started to auto play I got confused. This sort of thing should be announced before you actually test it out in my opinion.
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
I think a weekly video recap is a good idea for those who don't have the time or interest to follow these news daily. However putting them underneath other articles just make no sense - the video is illogical to find for those who might be interested, and make them annoying for those who already read the site daily.

Wouldn't it be better to, when a new weekly one is up, put it up on the banner so that the people who are interested will find and watch it?

Putting it up on youtube instead of ANN's own player might give less ad revenue but I bet it could help market ANN in the anime youtube community. I feel that helping the site reach more people would give the videos more worth than simply ads.

And please, no autoplay.

Last edited by CeaseActivity on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Otherwise, if I wanted glorified clickbait, I'd read those Anime Now articles.

When those started appearing, I uttered a warding,
Code:
.herald.box.partner {
    display:none!important;
}

Out of sight, out of mind.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
I'd say that you've hit a nerve, autoplay is a curse of internet browsing and as far as I'm concerned the video is way too large to the point that I no longer see the legitimate ads that you run below it.

Others have posted code to block the iframe while I've used my ad-blocker to kill the autoplay.

I look forward to your removal of the videos.

Mark Gosdin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9