• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix to Produce 30 'New' Anime Series for 2018 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeArsenalProf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
If they would produce the next seasons for Haruhi or Hyouka I would happily tattoo Netlfix on my forehead
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
This looks to me like just another step to expand Netflix's viewership in Japan. When they launched in 2015, Netflix said they intended to carry about 40 percent local content. Producing anime is probably a relatively low-cost method to pursue this strategy compared to live-action programming.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
My time has come... *cue epic music*

Netflix is the Google in this scenario. They are going to spend billions of dollars making a ton of VERY slick content. As others have mentioned, in the short term this will be very good for Japanese animators. A lot of them are probably going to be beating down the doors trying to get work from Netflix, since I imagine Netflix is going to pay a lot more than the local production committees. I think the Japanese industry still has a lot of time to up their game, but if they keep putting out too much stale, recycled (and poorly compensated) product, I can guarantee that 15 years from now Netflix will be one of the biggest players in anime, if not the majority share holder.

Already confirmed that Netflix works don't pay the animators anymore than the other method, so I seriously doubt that they will be "beating down the door trying to get work from Netflix." Given that they announce licenses as "Netflix-produced series that we personally created!!!1111" this type of article is meaningless. Most, if not all, of these productions would've been made without Netflix involvement.

To me, this reeks of "our numbers say this is what's popular, so we're going to invest in it" rather than a love of anime itself. They hardly market it, granted that doesn't mean much when 76% of their audience isn't aware that a highly marketed show is available on the service anyways. I can't see them investing in this without returns in Japan, which is what they're targeting here since their numbers say 50% of subscribers there watch anime (of 1% of the population, so it's unlikely that reflects the general Japanese viewer). They actually have a globally lower amount of anime viewers than Crunchyroll's free viewership (~7 million compared to 20 million), so the only reason Netflix is bigger is due to non-anime related reasons and the ability to go billions of dollars in debt and investors bail them out unlike Crunchyroll or most other companies bar Amazon. It doesn't seem like this will last that long in my opinion.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:
And yet neither Netflix nor Amazon has managed to get streaming rights for Eva.

Is it not just price? Have Gainax and Khara tangled themselves into a Macross-esque legal snarl?
I'm not an expert but I think the big issue with Eva isn't that it's just expensive but that it's old and it can be hard to get anime fans to invest in anime that's older than five years at this point. Most of the anime fans who would have an interest in watching/owning Eva probably already do but it's frankly kind of too old for most everyone else at this point. Streaming companies like Netflix and Amazon are more interested in snagging what's hot and new and will make them the most money than going after fan favorites for old timer otaku.
It's been rumored for a while that the only reason no one has picked up Neon Genesis Evangelion is that Gainax (and now Khara) is not wanting to license it to anyone new right now. Some companies were able to renew in 2007 (latest I can find), but I'm unsure about any renewals/new licenses after that.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

When I said sooner or later Western media companies would start muscling in on the anime industry, they said I was crazy. That will never happen!! Anime is only for Japanese!! It's not anime if it's not purely produced for the local Japanese dude! Anime will never change and we want it to stay the same forever!!

This was inevitable. Anime is a growing industry, and companies like Netflix who are still growing their user base have every incentive to capture a significant portion of the market. This kind of reminds me of what happened with AOL when Google and Microsoft started taking over the internet business. Now Google and Microsoft own almost everything, aside from Facebook. Though I wonder how long it is until Microsoft takes over Facebook.

Netflix is the Google in this scenario. They are going to spend billions of dollars making a ton of VERY slick content. As others have mentioned, in the short term this will be very good for Japanese animators. A lot of them are probably going to be beating down the doors trying to get work from Netflix, since I imagine Netflix is going to pay a lot more than the local production committees. I think the Japanese industry still has a lot of time to up their game, but if they keep putting out too much stale, recycled (and poorly compensated) product, I can guarantee that 15 years from now Netflix will be one of the biggest players in anime, if not the majority share holder.

Except you miss the most important distinction between Google and Netflix. Google has always been profitable, or at least almost always. Netflix has never been profitable. Nearly every economic expert I've seen thinks that eventually Netflix and Amazon will have to come to terms with their massive debt, it's just an unknown for when they actually have to start playing by the rules that every other capitalist company follows. And when eventually Netflix has to start turning a profit and lowering costs, you know what will get the ax first? You guessed it, expensive, low return shows. OH HEY LOOK THAT'S ANIME! So we better hope you are entirely wrong on your prediction and Netflix remains a small factor in the overall anime pot.

I'll repeat what I've said numerous times, it's great if Netflix create their own anime! It's great if they fund projects from the beginning! However it would be absolutely devastating and nigh irreversible if Netflix puts thousands of companies who already work on anime (inside and outside of Japan) out of business. Netflix cannot replace the 15.9 billion dollar (in 2016) industry by itself, and by strong arming companies out of business (which is what you are suggesting) we could see the the biggest crash anime has ever experienced.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Apple operated at either barely profitable or at a loss for nearly 20 years, before exploding in profitability with the iphone. Netflix, although they do have significant debt, are profitable (not sure where you got your facts about them never being profitable??) and the company's growth has accelerated in recent years. Revenue has more than tripled since 2010. They are now about as old as Apple was when Apple took off, and how was Apple able to do that? Significant investment in new and exciting products. Netflix investing now heavily in original content is similarly a smart move, as it will allow them to maintain much more of their revenue.

You can predict the failure of Netflix if you want. A lot of people said Google's investment in YouTube was a fool's errand too, and now YouTube is one of the most powerful media giants on the planet. I doubt any of you are still logging into the internet via AOL dialup though.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
Netflix has some of their shows on DVD. For example, here´s a link to Orange is the New Black season 3 on DVD: https://www.amazon.com/Orange-New-Black-Season-Digital/dp/B01CQB7W7Y
And I´ve also seen Daredevil being sold on DVD. Even Ajin and Knights of Sidonia have DVDs for them.

They also released Stranger Things on Blu-ray today and unlike Orange is the New Black & Fuller House, this is a Netflix direct release and also a Target in-store exclusive. Will they do a wide retail release later? Nobody knows...

gravediggernalk wrote:
It's been rumored for a while that the only reason no one has picked up Neon Genesis Evangelion is that Gainax (and now Khara) is not wanting to license it to anyone new right now. Some companies were able to renew in 2007 (latest I can find), but I'm unsure about any renewals/new licenses after that.

According to Madman, who said this on two separate occasions, it's because of the Rebuild movies. Japan is waiting for the movies to be done and over with before they starts licensing out original Eva again...and since there's STILL no 4.0.....
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think Netflix should just give this venture a rest At least for a while. I've heard they are currently in major debt thanks to all the projects they have been funding, and this goal they have set for themselves has me more concern for them then excited. They need to slow down and just take care of their debt before trying nay new projects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm curious as to why the ANN headline chose to put New in single quotation marks. Generally, that's a typographical convention to convey skepticism. In any case, it's an impressive goal. Netflix figured out long ago that the real money is in owning its own content as opposed to licensing from others. I see this as a good thing for the anime industry. I wonder if Amazon will start following suit? We know Crunchyroll already is, but they simply don't have the same size piggy bank as the Giants.

I highly doubt Netflix is going to own any of the said 30 new anime series. What Netflix is really interested is in having exclusive rights to anything they stream. The writing has been on the wall for some time, every year for several years revenue for cable TV has been going down thanks to cable cutters, Disney has been severely hard beat. Obviously Hollywood wants to make up for the lose by increasing streaming licensing prices to netflix by several net millions. Netflix thinks that money is better spent in something they can control and turn the tables on hollywood. That is why Disney will debut next year their streaming service in hope of recapturing their userbase and slowly but surely start again to increase prices with double (or triple) paywalls and other price hikes (five dollars my *ss).

ChibiKangaroo wrote:

When I said sooner or later Western media companies would start muscling in on the anime industry, they said I was crazy. That will never happen!! Anime is only for Japanese!! It's not anime if it's not purely produced for the local Japanese dude! Anime will never change and we want it to stay the same forever!!

Remember that many animes are manga or light novel adaptions or even franchises, so to really own them they would have to pay a lot more than the cost of producing a one cour anime. Besides, Netflix has shown no interest in making writing films by themselves, they bought Millarworld for that and until they announce they are making a collaboration of their IP animated in japan, you can bet they will be producing (and owning) only live action films.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:

Already confirmed that Netflix works don't pay the animators anymore than the other method, so I seriously doubt that they will be "beating down the door trying to get work from Netflix." Given that they announce licenses as "Netflix-produced series that we personally created!!!1111" this type of article is meaningless. Most, if not all, of these productions would've been made without Netflix involvement.

But from what I've heard, they do allow for better production schedules. Which is a step in the right direction and a reason many companies/animators may want to work with them. I understand that many people, yourself included, really hate that they won't simulcast stuff, but from everything that I've been told/heard/read/seen, being on Netflix is a generally positive thing for shows. And the companies involved seem to typically like working with them.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Yea and many new live action western shows are adapted from books or manuscripts written by aspiring unknowns. Very little of Western media is purely created from in house talent, so I don't see much difference between Netflix sourcing their content from light novels vs manuscripts or books produced by Western writers. It all depends on the following of the content creator. And nothing in the article indicates that they are just planning to license a bunch of stuff exclusively. It is common knowledge that Netflix's current business plan is content ownership, so there is no reason to believe that anime is excluded from that.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Yea and many new live action western shows are adapted from books or manuscripts written by aspiring unknowns.

That makes a world of difference. In the west hollywood studios pay as little as possible to content creators, even cooking the books. If the original writer is not famous or is employed by some branch of the company (i.e. marvel comics) you can bet he will get only a salary for his work even if you created the charater. Japanese mangaka and light novel writers are their own bosses, they own their IP and if they hear netflix (or any hollywood studio for that matter) wants to make an adaption and on top of it, wants to buy the intellectual property, you can bet they are not selling their life's work for peanuts since their daily income is not related at all to hollywood or other american company.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Netflix investing now heavily in original content is similarly a smart move, as it will allow them to maintain much more of their revenue.

It remains to be seen whether this is going to be original content they funded, or just more licensed shows that they falsely brand as their own originals. The former would be very bad news because it would just fuel a bubble that would inevitably pop after a few years. They would want things like action, space operas, cyberpunk, and so on which can pull in a bigger audience for a while, but the vast majority of those people are novelty seekers with narrow interests, a combination that dramatically reduces their lifespan as receptive consumers. Somehow I just can't see them producing Loli Yuri Harem IN SPACE five years from now, so they'd need to withdraw when the winds start to shift.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Netflix cannot replace the 15.9 billion dollar (in 2016) industry by itself

That $15.9 billion dollar figure counts all sorts of things not directly relevant to anime production like merchandise. You're probably talking about this report from the Association of Japanese Animators: http://aja.gr.jp/?wpdmdl=1005 (PDF). The relevant figures come from the graph entitled "Trends in Japanese animation market in a limited sense." That total comes to about $2 billion.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:
Netflix cannot replace the 15.9 billion dollar (in 2016) industry by itself

That $15.9 billion dollar figure counts all sorts of things not directly relevant to anime production like merchandise. You're probably talking about this report from the Association of Japanese Animators: http://aja.gr.jp/?wpdmdl=1005 (PDF). The relevant figures come from the graph entitled "Trends in Japanese animation market in a limited sense." That total comes to about $2 billion.

Yep, and Netflix's current annual revenue? Approximately $7 billion. Netflix is already bigger than the Japanese anime industry by itself, if you are straight up comparing audio/visual releases. Whether Netflix will get into merchandising and other ancilliaries is to be seen, but I would imagine they would be all too happy to do so given how Disney is making a metric ton of cash off merchandising in the West.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8