• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Shin Godzilla

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc Hampton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought "Shin" was okay and the acting was definitely the best yet for a Japanese Godzilla film...with the exception of the gal who tried to pass herself off as an American. She did well...except for her accent...that was a fail. Nevertheless, I completely disagree with the reviewer saying that all recent Godzilla films are not memorable. The most recent American film blew the box office away and was by far the best Godzilla ever made, with the sole exception of the 1954 original. There, I've had my say. Wink
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
. Personally I'm on board with this assessment,

Huh, didn't take you for a fan of Make America (or Japan) Great Again type right-populism, Gabriella, but there you go. It is a good film that I enjoyed, but there's no doubt that it has a particular agenda and that agenda is right nationlist populism that taps into the same sort of themes that has boosted Trump and others around the world.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wonder how people in Japan cope with watching Hollywood films dubbed into Japanese? Because live action dubs look weird.

I'm sure some like them subbed and some dubbed, some of the dubbed ones they sometimes cast voice actors/actresses you usually hear in anime to dub over a particular actor or actress. Toshiyuki Morikawa for instance pretty much has been doing every Tom Cruise movie since 2005/2006 and before that Hirotaka Suzoki (before he died of cancer), both anime voice actors. Depending on if they like the voice actor's or actress' performance as an Hollywood actor or actress they might want to watch it dubbed or if the voice actor or actress is popular I guess. Then again they might want to watch it subbed in it's natural language.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to comment to say that Animegomaniac and John Thacker's comments both gave me a big hearty laugh. The former mainly because of how much I feel he missed the entire point of the politicians intentionally being so daft, the latter just in a bit of disgust because of how eye-rollingly presumptuous and passive aggressive his comment is, based entirely on his relative interpretation of the film. Never change, ANN, never change (though at least don't stoop down to the level of MAL).

Also, Shin Godzilla actually did quite well in its US and Canadian run, especially for a foreign film that didn't even run with a dub. It made nearly two million in a mere 31 day run. Pretty decent I'd say, especially compared to other extremely limited and low-grossing theatrical releases of Japanese films. And lastly, Shin has a phenomenal soundtrack courtesy of Anno's partner in crime Shiro Sagisu. The track Persecution of the Masses is definitely one of the most haunting and foreboding in Godzilla's history, and really made the scene it played in that much more burned into my memory.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella - (the result of US nuclear testing this time)

The shorter list of when the US is NOT the cause of Godzilla's creation or his re-appearances.

Shin-Godzilla should be considered an altogether different kaiju than Godzilla,more akin to Zilla ...As Animegomaniac commented "Godzilla in name only."

Perhaps Anno's political axe grinding and his heavy use of Evangelion overshadowed whatever small bits of Godzilla were in the movie.
Godzilla movies with a cause or thumbing its nose, give us flying Godzilla or a Godzilla that is possessed by vengeful souls.

Seriously Godzilla morphing into multiple humanoid-like Godzilla's;Godzilla like no,Evangelion. like yes.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I really don't like Shin Godzilla as either a Godzilla film or a metaphor for inept response to natural disasters. I'll just keep it to these two points as I could spend days on all the topics at play here, from running statistics... "Ok, you're not going to fire missiles at the smallest Godzilla because two people will get killed? OK, how many have died already? 100? 2 sounds like reasonable loses to me..." Later, hundred of thousands die because they weren't willing to kill two people, how awkward... to its almost Swiftian lack of subtlety in its satire... wow, Anno really did that to the majority of Japan's government? Jonathan Swift just resorted to taking the piss, err, literally.

Quote:
The plot concerns a young official's attempt to mobilize an effective response to a rampaging Godzilla (the result of US nuclear testing this time) in the face of bureaucratic resistance.

What rampage? He walked slowly... in the scenes he was animated moving... I mean not when he moved by falling forward or the times he stood stuck in place for days, weeks? but those times he was strolling... which somehow only resulted in small number of casualties. A hundred seems too small but it was a really slow walk. Man, it's like he wasn't even trying. But by the time something could be done to it... and in fact the only time it was truly hurt, ended in destruction that far eclipsed Anno's own metaphor in that doing something was far worse than doing nothing. So what was his message then? "Forget today, prey for tomorrow"? And no, I didn't misspell it...

What did I like about this movie? The middle section with the said single attack and not the "let's throw spoiler[CGI public transportation at the problem!"] ending or the "Godzilla with the googly, googly eyes!" beginning. "He has those eyes because he's was previously adapted to seeing under water!" Convenient then he got those two legs first, huh? Could have just been a snakelike but then without the legs, they're be no notable tail... I guess? And the ending was just...

And I liked the use of previous music. Not the Anno stuff but the Akira Ifukube tracks from previous Godzilla films... in particular the "Terror of Godzilla" track from the still unreleased King Kong versus Godzilla... over fifty years later and that gem is still stuck in Japan. Yes, there is a version with new footage and an entirely different score but it's just not the same... I've seen that version. In fact, I've seen all of them and the closest one I put Shin Godzilla next to is Godzilla 1998.

"Godzilla in name only" territory.

I know this seems rude but All I see in this post is pointless high amounts of nitpicking and saltyness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2