• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Drastic Character Design Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
The Gundam franchise drastically changes character design nearly every show. Heck even Tomino didn't keep the same design with his characters between the first show and Zeta.
Now true most of it due to the different creators and animators behind each show and the characters and universes being different.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
What, no mention of the changes from Go nagai's Cutey Honey OVAs with meat on their bones to Cutie Honey F Sailor Moon Super S style three years later to finally the cartoony Re: Cutey Honey?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Damn, no Juuni Taisen on here at all, eh? I'm surprised people seem so disinterested in that show. It's basically freaking Monogatari/Katanagatari x Fate/Zero/Battle Royale, for Christ's sake.

I think there isn't too much intersection there, though.Both sides have plenty of detractors too, so I can see this being passed by people.

Hell, if it wasn't Nisio I'd give it a pass.

Those who are detractors are in the extreme minority though. All of those franchises are wildly successful and popular pretty much world-wide. Based on the PVs, it seems more like "Katanagatari: The-Battle-Royale", than anything else, you're right, to be fair. And tonally the PVs make it look like anything but Fate/Zero, but Nisio likes writing morality and philosophy, so I could easily see that side of it being more similar.
We'll see. If it wasn't Nisio, to be honest, I wouldn't be super interested either, but it is him, and his writing can carry pretty much anything as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by relyat08 on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Nagsura

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
My fave CLAMP work isn't in the list. I wanted to vote for the ridiculous JoJo doujin where Jotaro's son is born off an egg but it's not there!

Last edited by Nagsura on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
The backlash to Sun and Moon's art is mostly a western fandom thing. I haven't really noticed fans on Japanese sites complain about it much, if at all.

-Stuart Smith

Yes, that's right.
After all Pokemon is basically a kodomo (children) show.
Japanese children don't pay attention how the show changed from before, and don't care about the animation design as long as the show is fun.

But many in the western anime fandom follow the show since they here children and now they are older and notice the differences and complain about it.

Of course, as we're more accustomed to otaku living in the West, we're more likely to notice butthurt over it here as opposed to in Japan. I mean, we're talking about an international franchise with a core demographic of children under ten years old. The same with Sonic the Hedgehog, and chararcter design changes from Sonic Boom caused an amusing chimpout from a notorious internet celebrity and meme.

v1cious wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
As mai yukino mentioned, I'm really surprised that the very drastic character design changes of Megazone 23 to Megazone 23 Part 2 wasn't mentioned! Toshihiro Hirano and Yasuomi Umetsu's art styles are quite different from each other, making both parts of Megazone 23 look like they're entirely different stories.

Yeah, Megazone 23 was a big one for me. A lot of people loved the change, but I personally found it distracting. It threw off the flow of the story.

From what I've seen, everyone (including myself) hated it. Not to mention the plot, whereas the first followed your conventional 80s mecha while the second was a wannabee edgy Akira ripoff (remember, the manga came out in 1983).

The game and upcoming remake using the original art style show they want to forget all about it.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote
And the anime designs of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor are some of my favorites. The Irresponsible GALAXY Tylor anime designs can go burn up in a solar flare for all I care.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:58 am Reply with quote
No mention of Bodacious Space Pirates? The anime greatly changed the character designs from the novels.
akamarulover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote
I would suggest the original one punch man art compared to the animated version haha. I mean its sorta cheating since murata redrew it but still

Mob Psycho could also work well tho.

And Attack on titan, since the manga art is Not Great to look at.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I notice that the 1990s reboots that are Dirty Pair Flash and Bubblegum Crisis 2040 are absent here.

Personally, I preferred the look of the characters in 2040 to those of the original OVA.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I notice that the 1990s reboots that are Dirty Pair Flash and Bubblegum Crisis 2040 are absent here.

I approve of this. Indeed, I am happy to contend that such works do not even exist.

B-But Dirty Pair Flash was good.

Top Gun wrote:
Pokemon may look much better in motion now than it did in the long-lost days when I caught it on Kids' WB after school, but dear sweet lord I cannot get over how colossally stupid those squiggles on Ash's face look.

Guess Naruto and his whiskers have competition.

Sailor Sedna wrote:
Even though that horrible low quality animation was one of the bigger things that hurt Crystal, high quality animation wouldn't have saved it from poor writing/characterization and storytelling, why anyone would think the original 90's classic (with the first three seasons being masterpieces despite their flaws) is inferior a modern soulless adaptation of a decent yet flawed manga is beyond me.

.....Because that's how opinions work it's the same way you have people who think DragonBall Kai was better than Z because it cut down on the filler to make it similarly paced to the manga.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Black Jack's design has changed a fair bit over the decades. Oh & voted for the only real option: OG Vegas
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
I bet I'm like...one of the only people to vote for Clamp's little manga Wish. Cardcaptor Sakura is my second favorite but I just LOVE Wish's aesthetic, the designs of the angels and demons, and the fun and goofy dynamics between all of the characters. It's one series I've held onto forever since buying it as a teen <3

But I'm the only person I know who has even HEARD of it.

Nah, I used to have a couple of volumes of it. I didn't mind it (but my interest was detracted slightly by the print having errors with the text).

I read it was sort of based on the Jojo Kakyoin egg doujin they did, so Kohaku is Kakyoin and I guess Shuichiro is Jojo.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
So glad I'm not the only one voting Wish!
Although, to be fair, voting in this poll was INCREDIBLY difficult! I hadn't read a single CLAMP series I hadn't loved, so picking an absolute favorite is hard. While xxxHolic definitely had my most favorite characters (Watanuki and Kohane), Wish is definitely something I've gone back to re-read over and over and over again and loved it each and every time. I was actually really excited with reading and watching Kobato. with it acting a bit like a sequel to Wish.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
The cool kyousinsha excerpt is not completaron true as one of his serialized mangas is being drawn by another artist
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
It's very cool to see Future GPX Cyber Formula mentioned.

One thing about that series that has the drastic art changing going for it is the series progresses roughly six going on seven years story time in the span of the first 37 ep TV series to the final OVA "SIN". Although the first series is a TV series and the remaining four OVAs they progress in a linear story line, unlike other circa series that had say a TV and OVA running alongside (Tenchi, El Hazard, Battle Athletes, etc).

The best way to think of the art change is similar to the Harry Potter syndrome, where you see a character "growing up" of sorts with the story both literally and figuratively. Appropriately as the younger main characters get older they advance in maturity and some of the scenes change appropriately (Hayato and Asuka's very obvious after-sex scene midway through SIN compared to the first TV series where there was a lot of puppy love going on).

I also don't think Sunrise anticipated it's initial popularity - in Asia at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4