• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
@about japanese actors sounding the same.

Anyone that saw Girlish Number would realize that many animes push stereotypical voices unto japanese voice actors (old and new), the tsundere, the energetic, the shrinking violet, etc. That is why some anime movie directors don't like using traditional voice actors, because the newbies only have experience in voices for unrealistic settings (and the veterans are expensive).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I also continue to find it amusing that people still complain about "we always hear the same voices" in English dubs but don't for Japanese dubs, where some seiyuu have hundreds of roles to their credits.

Seriously. I think the main difference in people's minds is that the American VA pool is obviously much smaller, so you're going to naturally hear people pop up more, but I'm always amazed when I look at the encyclopedia page for some veteran Japanese actor and see that they've seemingly appeared in every significant series over the past three decades.

Speaking of Steam, correct me if I'm wrong, but the series available for purchase there are just streams, right? That never seemed like a very compelling option. I have a strange relationship with digital distribution: I don't think twice about buying PC games on Steam or GOG, I guess because that mode of distribution has pretty much become the norm (seriously, most physical PC releases these days are just the game data and a Steam code anyway), and I have a reasonable trust in those services' longevity. In contrast, I'd much rather purchase physical copies of console games if available (especially in the case of Nintendo's digital nonsense), and I could never see myself buying digital versions of anime series.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I could never see myself buying digital versions of anime series.

I would (at regional prices) if they allowed me to download the file for me to use at any time (like GOG) instead of renting the stream for a non defined amount of time (which is what Steam). To make things worse, the animes soldrented at Steam only have english subtitles and no doubt when Crunchy starts adding dubs in other languages, those will no doubt not be included.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I also continue to find it amusing that people still complain about "we always hear the same voices" in English dubs but don't for Japanese dubs, where some seiyuu have hundreds of roles to their credits.

Pretty much all complaints on English dubs can also apply to the Japanese versions. I do not like the double standard you mentioned here either. I watch most of my subbed anime muted because the Japanese voices can be annoying.

On the piracy thing, I actually would argue there is some justification concerning Anime Strike's double paywall, that Hulu won't show ad-free unless you pay just $12/month, and Netflix's delay-casts. As all 3 come from companies that each has over $1 billion in revenue, I think they are justifying such practices as an excuse.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
There's also the idea that the grass is greener on the other side. Just as someone who doesn't know a language may have a tough time identifying accents, they may have trouble identifying voices if they're not REALLY similar to each other. Took me several years, but I did eventually recognize when Laura Bailey plays someone as she has a particular enunciation of certain words that carries through no matter what she sounds like, and this is something I wouldn't be able to tell in any language but English.

I think this is a key part. I believe it is a lot easier to recognize a voice actor in your native language than in another one. Add to that that some of your focus is on reading subtitles and it becomes easier to see why it would be less likely that you'd recognize a foreign voice actor across multiple titles.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
Like Key, I'm following five series on Amazon Strike and just one on Crunchyroll this season. Since I've been a Prime member for years to get free two-day shipping, paying another $5/month for these shows is certainly worth the investment. If I weren't a Prime member, the initial membership fee might have proven too high a bar.

And why do so many commentators here suggest that the only alternative to paying for a Crunchyroll subscription is to pirate the shows it carries on Kiss? You can watch anything on CR for free as long as you're willing to wait a week for new episodes and include ads in your stream. I don't how much more CR can do to accommodate people on limited budgets and still make money.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
People who try to justify piracy amuse me. Just own up to it. "I'm pirating because I don't want to pay for it!". Is that so hard?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Yeah, I think that may be part of it. It's harder to bounce off people and get a good feel for how everyone's performing when you're recording by yourself.
Also, I think the talent pool for American VAs is a bit slimmer than in Japan. There's also all those limitations with which company is dubbing what and which voice actors are tied to which agency, which seems a bit stricter than in Japan.

Slimmer, yes, but not necessarily that much smaller. From reading a lot of cast lists, there are a minority of them who get lots of roles in many different series, and then there are the majority who get maybe one or two roles per year, if that. Dawn M. Bennett, for instance, has only played a single role in anime, a minor character in Fairy Tail (though she is not only a non-professional, she gets other work in indie game voice acting). Only the most successful get enough roles to do it as a living, at least from the English-language side. Honestly though, it is kind of an extreme, and I would like to see more of the people who barely get any voice work to get some more.

(It's no different from live-action casting though, or for casting from the Japanese side for that matter: Certain people become distinguished and well-liked among fans of a particular series or multiple ones, and it incentivizes casting directors and agents to use them more often.)

Kadmos1 wrote:
On the piracy thing, I actually would argue there is some justification concerning Anime Strike's double paywall, that Hulu won't show ad-free unless you pay just $12/month, and Netflix's delay-casts. As all 3 come from companies that each has over $1 billion in revenue, I think they are justifying such practices as an excuse.

All three of those companies have expertise in something other than anime, though, so they're working on business models that have been proven to work for non-anime viewers. All three of them are also very new to showing anime, so I think it makes sense for them to assume that anime viewers will be just like viewers of American sitcoms, police procedurals, prime-time animation, and such.

I think it's a bit different with Netflix though: They're not aiming this at the existing anime audience, but at non-fans who might not realize anime is still being made because they stopped seeing it on TV or on their streaming services. The fact that Netflix pulled some strings (or something) and brought Little Witch Academia down to a TV-Y7 suggests to me that they're not going for viewers like you or me, but for the kids who would've been glued to the Saturday morning blocks two decades ago.

Covnam wrote:
I think this is a key part. I believe it is a lot easier to recognize a voice actor in your native language than in another one. Add to that that some of your focus is on reading subtitles and it becomes easier to see why it would be less likely that you'd recognize a foreign voice actor across multiple titles.

That's a good point, that you're mentally distracted reading the subtitles and not paying full attention to what the characters sound like.

yuna49 wrote:
And why do so many commentators here suggest that the only alternative to paying for a Crunchyroll subscription is to pirate the shows it carries on Kiss? You can watch anything on CR for free as long as you're willing to wait a week for new episodes and include ads in your stream. I don't how much more CR can do to accommodate people on limited budgets and still make money.

Waiting a week, to many, IS a dealbreaker, because it locks themselves out of conversations with their friends. By the time they see an episode, their friends have already seen the next one. Heck, it becomes old news within two days. The Unofficial One Piece Podcast, which follows Viz's release of the One Piece manga on Mondays, has many problems with people who read the speedsubbers who break the street date on the previous Wednesday.

It's not as much a problem if you're watching it on your own and you don't have to converse with anyone, or your entire group watches it a week behind.

The ads themselves are a dealbreaker for a few of them too, who don't like having their anime interrupted. But I think that ties into paying for the subscriptions: You're paying for convenience in that case. I don't mind ads though, as long as they're not the sort to take up all of my CPU.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Waiting a week, to many, IS a dealbreaker, because it locks themselves out of conversations with their friends.

The ads themselves are a dealbreaker for a few of them too, who don't like having their anime interrupted.

Well, first, they can watch any of the extensive back catalog of shows on CR without fees.

Both those arguments are largely justifications for not paying. Life is about compromise. I'm sure a lot of those people who complain about paying for CR casually spend much more than the $7 monthly fee at places like Starbucks.

I watched LWA via fansubs, but I also have a Netflix subscription, so they lost nothing from my decision. I was watching Bahamut via fansubs because I was angry at Amazon for squeezing another $5/month from me. Now that I'm watching five shows there (and just one at CR) I got over myself and started paying for Strike as well. I no longer have a subscription to Funimation or any other service like HiDIVE.

Last edited by yuna49 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Dawn M. Bennett, for instance, has only played a single role in anime, a minor character in Fairy Tail (though she is not only a non-professional, she gets other work in indie game voice acting).

she's done a lot more than that. her career has taken off since starting as Frosh
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Both those arguments are largely justifications for not paying. Life is about compromise. I'm sure a lot of those people who complain about paying for CR casually spend much more than the $7 monthly fee at places like Starbucks.

Oh, I have definitely been on the receiving end of "cannot participate in conversations," and it feels awful to be socially isolated and mocked for it. It's not a justification for not paying; it's peer pressure. I still refused to pirate anime even in spite of it though. My friends were at least decent enough to avoid talking about the series they were pirating, but I have encountered some groups that don't have that level of decency.

getchman wrote:
she's done a lot more than that. her career has taken off since starting as Frosh

Ah, that's very nice then. I must admit my sources are outdated, so I'll remember that. Has Chris Guerrero found more voice work too?

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps you might start here?

Dawn M. Bennett
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Perhaps you might start here?

Dawn M. Bennett

Whoa, she's on here? I just mainly associate her with her work on indie games, so I never even considered it (and it is very hard to compile lists regarding indie games because there isn't any sort of centralized place to find them).
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Has Chris Guerrero found more voice work too?

yes, though, mostly just a lot of minor characters. he did get to be Ainz in Overlord, and that was a great performance.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
ANN's Encyclopedia has been my "go-to" resource for years now. The ANN database is truly extensive and has, as you might expect, especially good coverage of anime with English-language dubbing and voice actors. It also lists many appearances in games though I don't know about indie games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7