• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime BitTorrent Users Reportedly Sent Notices by ISPs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Just ignore it all and wait till they kick down your door some early morning, meanwhile it's business as usual, yeah?
I know, lets show them you won't put up with it by not buying any of the titles you have DLed. Oh the pain! the pain! What are the odds this gets locked before page 5?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
What are the odds this gets locked before page 5?
Moderate.

Just something I thought I'd throw in on people thinking a judge wouldn't look at something like this. Judges have quite a bit of discretion and can do largely what they want. With the population ever aging, it's not unthinkable that someone from the current fanbase could become a judge in the not too distant future or knows people in the current fanbase right now. The situation with online piracy is getting more serious with time, not less, so start thinking worst case scenarios.

Plus, just a friendly bit of advice, if a judge does ever look at these sorts of matters and you happen to be involved. Don't annoy the judge. They can crush you like a bug, legally speaking. They can, with complete legality, throw you in jail just for smarting off to them.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
calawain wrote:

Also, this is pretty funny, there is approximately a zero percent chance Odex could actually successfully pursue an international claim, at least here in the United States. It's merely a scare tactic to try and get people to buy their terrible quality releases.

Probably, but actually so long as they own the license they do have the right to damages based on existing international conventions and US laws.

So while they probably won't, they most definitely can.

Quote:
Color me surprised if Odex can convince a US judge to order Comcast or any other ISP to release the personal information that goes with these IP addresses. I don't see it happening, but I guess we can look forward to another 20 page debate here.

Oh yeah, this'll hit 20 pages by tomorrow, but actually the RIAA and MPAA have been able to do it. With Berne, NET, and other regulations proving successful in the past, it's very likely that they could get it if they put forth a good argument and effort.

But I do agree that the cost for them to "send a message" is exorbanantly high, especially if they do it through an intermediary.

Quote:
Edit: And in addition, since there has been no announcement that Odex has licensed these series, without a statement that Odex is acting on behalf of the Japanese license holders their DMCA requests are extremely illegal. You can't act on a legal behalf of someone else without their permission.

The statement doesn't have to be public you know. That said, you're absolutely correct that if they don't have the license, and aren't authorized by the license holder(s), then this is merely a SLAPP tactic.

Last edited by Yoda117 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm Reply with quote
AdmiralNelson wrote:
I'll likely never pay to get the DVDs and there are a lot of people like me. Unless anime companies can figure out a way to get it on cable so people can watch it for free, or even free ad-supported online [which I'm amazed why they haven't done this], then piracy will continue.

And then you wonder why they feel like they need to start going after people downloading fansubs.

Gee, maybe because some people are too damn cheap to actually buy shows that they like, so the companies aren't getting jack from you watching it?

The only reason why this is an issue is because people like you who don't buy the DVDs of shows you like, depriving the companies to make it money.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
I need to submit photos of my collection to prove that i'm not just some black hearted fansub watcher.

Yikes,that comment make it's sound like that you think fansub watchers are the devil. I am a fansub watcher myself. But I pay for DVDs and boxsets to support the anime industry. So,next time please don't make such a blanket statement.

i was being sarcastic, doesn't translate to well in text alone
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I know, lets show them you won't put up with it by not buying any of the titles you have DLed. Oh the pain! the pain! What are the odds this gets locked before page 5?

That's so annoying. When a lot of people are telling you the buy the titles they download you still throw it in their face. I can somewhat undertsnd you reserving that talk for those who buy none at all. (In certain circumtances)

A big chunk of anime viewers (non-mainstrea, mainstream alike) watch fansubs. They also buy dvds. Not all but a lot.
If they stopped buying in protest...well. You get the idea.

(That isn't just about this thread, but many many many others in the past)

I'm sure Zac is watching this thread like a hawk.

naruto fan 09812 wrote:
rankothefiremage wrote:
I need to submit photos of my collection to prove that i'm not just some black hearted fansub watcher.

Yikes,that comment make it's sound like that you think fansub watchers are the devil. I am a fansub watcher myself. But I pay for DVDs and boxsets to support the anime industry. So,next time please don't make such a blanket statement.

To me it sounds like rank was saying he needed to do just that: prove he doesn't just watch downloads. If I missed something...

In short: Get rid of Comcast. They aren't the best highspeed cable service provider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DigimonTamer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
This news does seem troubling and I would be more than happy to stop downloading fansubs completely if the industry got it's act together.

1. Anime DVDs are too expensive
2. It takes forever for series to finally arrive on US shores (Ouran Host Club still isn't over here despite airing almost 2 years ago)
3. It isn't a bright spot on the industry when major players who are releasing a lot of shows that I have devoted time and money too disappear over night (Geneon)

Nobody devotes their life to their hobby quite like anime fans do. Anime is very fan dependent and since I still think fansubs do a lot more good than they do harm (I wouldn't own nearly half the dvds I own if it wasn't for watching fansubs and hearing other peoples opinions of fansubs, and I know there are a lot of people like me) this seems to be a totally unnecessary and will just serve to anger the fans.

If you anger the fans in an industry as fan dependent as anime, you are in trouble.

If these evil companies do manage to shut down fansubbing then I certainly won't be buying DVDs (I am an avid fansub watcher who also owns over 400 DVDs) and I would hope others do the same. Let's see how evil they think fansubbing is when everybody who has ever downloaded a fansub never buys a DVD again. With how connected anime fans are to each other a boycott like this could be possible. Oh well, we will see how it plays out.
Dr Grant Swinger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote
aisasami wrote:
I/my dad got the same notice from Comcast this weekend but it wasn't anime but for a kid's movie (Casper). My friend said it was the companies who the movies, anime, TV Shows, and etc who are hiring other companies to look at illegal downloading but is it Comcast who is doing it?

All Comcast cares about is bandwidth usage. Linux distros, Hollywood movies, anime; it's all the same to them. If you get one of those notices it's because the copyright holder or their agent sent them a notification. Hollywood and the music industry has been using companies to patrol the net looking for illegal activity but I haven't heard anything about the Japanese using their services. These guys are not cheap to use anyway.

Since Odex seems to be behind this I wonder if they're just taking random potshots at the American fansubbing scene. Going after downloaders like this has to be the least efficient way to put a crimp on fansubbing.
calawain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
calawain wrote:

Also, this is pretty funny, there is approximately a zero percent chance Odex could actually successfully pursue an international claim, at least here in the United States. It's merely a scare tactic to try and get people to buy their terrible quality releases.

Probably, but actually so long as they own the license they do have the right to damages based on existing international conventions and US laws.

So while they probably won't, they most definitely can.

I would dispute that they have the right to sue in US courts based on them holding the rights to distribute in Singapore. The only parties than can sue in US courts are the original copyright holders or licensed distributors (Funi, ADV, etc.) and their legal agents. Aside from that hump, the cost to Odex to litigate a case in the US would be too much for them. And it would be next to impossible for them to get a judgment of a Singapore court enforced here.

Yoda117 wrote:
Quote:
Color me surprised if Odex can convince a US judge to order Comcast or any other ISP to release the personal information that goes with these IP addresses. I don't see it happening, but I guess we can look forward to another 20 page debate here.

Oh yeah, this'll hit 20 pages by tomorrow, but actually the RIAA and MPAA have been able to do it. With Berne, NET, and other regulations proving successful in the past, it's very likely that they could get it if they put forth a good argument and effort.

Mmmm if recent litigation gives any indication, the RIAA is finding it harder and harder to get this information released, and I'm not sure they could get it through without high costs involved. So even assuming they can steer the rulings back toward allowances, the cost to Odex of pursuing such a claim in US court is beyond their financial resources.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
DigimonTamer wrote:
If these evil companies do manage to shut down fansubbing then I certainly won't be buying DVDs (I am an avid fansub watcher who also owns over 400 DVDs) and I would hope others do the same. Let's see how evil they think fansubbing is when everybody who has ever downloaded a fansub never buys a DVD again. With how connected anime fans are to each other a boycott like this could be possible. Oh well, we will see how it plays out.

While I'll probably still by the DVDs - I'll rent them over things like Netflix first - I'll certainly take longer to buy the series, and will mostly likely buy the (cheaper) box sets than buying the series disc-by-disc (i.e., they lose money)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

That's so annoying. When a lot of people are telling you the buy the titles they download you still throw it in their face. I can somewhat undertsnd you reserving that talk for those who buy none at all. (In certain circumtances)
The other annoying thing is, Who can tell if anyone is tell you the truth on the intarweb? Even when people show their shelves, are they really theirs? Hell you can't even believe that I don't watch fansubs, or download any illegal material, even though MI6, and the FBI can look into my computer anytime they like. So when I see all this " I buy mostly everything I first steal" proclaimation. I wouldn't want to go to sea with integrity like that.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

The other annoying thing is, Who can tell if anyone is tell you the truth on the intarweb? Even when people show their shelves, are they really theirs? Hell you can't even believe that I don't watch fansubs, or download any illegal material, even though MI6, and the FBI can look into my computer anytime they like. So when I see all this " I buy mostly everything I first steal" proclaimation. I wouldn't want to go to sea with integrity like that.

Being so paranoid is going to give you grey hair faster. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
You know what is really annoying about this debate. For people who repeatedly use the excuse that anime DVDs are too high to defend their use of fansubs. Come on people have you ever heard of Netflick,used DVDs shops and even ebay. If not that anime DVDs are too high is that people want to justified their use of only using fansubs.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
If Comcast gets a notice from a copyright holder, it HAS to act promptly and thoroughly or risk being held contributorily liable for the infringement. It would be interesting to see who is behind this, but the counter notification provision in the DMCA requires the owner to file in federal court to uphold the removal of the material, and it's not worth getting in actual legal trouble on the chance it's a legit NA licensee (I wonder, in the event of an unlicensed property, whether a Japanese company could get standing based on the fact it may license to NA companies in the future? Very interesting legal question right there).

At any rate, whoever is filing the contract/advertising dispute against Comcast has a very interesting idea. I'll have to follow that. I doubt the court would hold Comcast to its "promise" to allow illegal uses, but if it promised access to legal uses and failed to deliver, that's a lot more interesting.

(I'm not an attorney yet, you can't take anything I say as advice).
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
You know what is really annoying about this debate. For people who repeatedly use the excuse that anime DVDs are too high to defend their use of fansubs. Come on people have you ever heard of Netflick,used DVDs shops and even ebay. If not that anime DVDs are too high is that people want to justified their use of only using fansubs.

A very good point, and I think I've brought up using Netflix numerous times on here for that very reason. Of course, that doesn't really apply to anime series that aren't licensed, but for those that are...yeah.

I have bought many a series off of ebay. The problem with ebay now is that probably 3/4 of the stuff on there is bootlegged, especially if you're looking for a box set, and many of the regular sellers aren't really selling for less than what you can get on sites like rightstuf.com necessarily. But your point is still taken.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13