• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Restaurant to Another World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Well he was the admiral, so he may not have known how to do that part. Maybe if he were the navigator he might know, but I don't know that the captains would have known.

Regardless of what justification may be fabricated about this scenario, the fact of the matter is that the apparent lack of effort on the admiral's part is clearly a gaping plot hole. Unless he was an incompetent seaman, he should know the basics of navigating by stars. And I don't take it he was an incompetent one, given that they praised him so much.

So yes, in my book this one's a major failing in the story. At the very least no attempt to explain what could be a crucial issue. If I walked into a magical restaurant out of nowhere, my first action beyond eating a plate of delicious, delicious food would be to ask everybody there where they are from and find out if there's at least some way to get a message back and find some way to expedite my rescue. He has HOURS he can spend in the restaurant once every seven days over the course of 20 years. And by the sound of it he discovered the door pretty early on. They could have at least said two sentences to help explain any of this.

I really enjoy the languid pacing of the show in general, but this one really did make me facepalm.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
The thing is, I like the atmosphere. I like the characters and the premise, and I don't mind answering some of the world-building questions myself, like about the doors and who can go through to where. (I like the theory that perhaps if you're touching someone headed somewhere else, you may be able to accompany them.) So I can't quite figure out why the show as a whole isn't working for me. Confused

Maybe because its a trifecta of not being a cooking show, no plot and no central focus? At least that's my beef with the show right now. There's no overarching plot tying everything together, no focus on a single character (aletta is just a recurring character at this point) and its not even showing us at least how to make the dishes like in sweetness and lightning.

The show doesn't need all three of these but with not even one present I just feel like its wasting a very interesting premise. The atmosphere is nice tho.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
Northlander wrote:
Didn't the latest episode just show us that it doesn't matter which door you enter from? So far, it almost looks like the doors are set up so that you return home through the door you entered from. But that still doesn't answer my question of what happens if two people were to enter the restaurant from two different doors.

Damn it! Am I going to have to resort to the MST mantra?

There's like eight people who use the doors, what are the odds of two of them using it at the same time, from two different doors?

Given how long some of them have been using said door, and even how some of them have bonded over the years, I find it incredibly weird if at some point, someone has either entered or left at the same time. But even beyond that, the doorways to said cafe has been around for at least one generation, and the fact that the doors only appear once every week adds on the pressure for people to arrive at the same time since they can't just go whenever they like.

But even if you lean on the odd chance that this has somehow never happened -- which IS possible, I suppose -- I'd still like to know what would happen when someone does.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has brought up another inconsistency: So the Black dragon isolated herself to stop killing people with her death wind or whatever, but the moment the door appears she doesn't hesitate to go inside even knowing there are people on the other side. Considering the lengths to which she went to protect humans from her deadly magic, it's just inconsistent that she wouldn't even hesitate to get back in contact with people, knowing it would risk them getting killed. It's like the backstory was just a convenient device to justify her awkwardness but then they conveniently forgot about it
cfalcon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm surprised no one has brought up another inconsistency: So the Black dragon isolated herself to stop killing people with her death wind or whatever, but the moment the door appears she doesn't hesitate to go inside even knowing there are people on the other side. Considering the lengths to which she went to protect humans from her deadly magic, it's just inconsistent that she wouldn't even hesitate to get back in contact with people, knowing it would risk them getting killed. It's like the backstory was just a convenient device to justify her awkwardness but then they conveniently forgot about it

Seconded. Also, why DOESN'T her death aura kill the people in the restaurant? Even if you argue that the red dragon's protective magic guards Master and Aletta, that wouldn't account for the admiral.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
ok, so going back to ep 5 for a moment, during the second half when Altorius is talking about half elves. Just after the 15 min mark, there's a shot of a castle that looks very much like the Salt Lake City Mormon temple. Nothing really important, just when I saw it two weeks ago, it looked familiar and I finally figured it out.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I did wonder about this, too, but just assumed that the death aura doesn't apply in a humanoid form. (And another inconsistency: why doesn't her death aura also kill plant life?)

Rebecca wrote:
Nekoya's presence gives them both a chance to interact with others and actually eat (there's no indication that Kuro has been ingesting anything on the moon).

The comment about the Moon being "magic-rich" suggested to me that she didn't need to eat anything because she could just absorb the magic from the moon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I did wonder about this, too, but just assumed that the death aura doesn't apply in a humanoid form. (And another inconsistency: why doesn't her death aura also kill plant life?)

Rebecca wrote:
Nekoya's presence gives them both a chance to interact with others and actually eat (there's no indication that Kuro has been ingesting anything on the moon).

The comment about the Moon being "magic-rich" suggested to me that she didn't need to eat anything because she could just absorb the magic from the moon.

She does narrate that the beings that came to be *after the horrors defeat* were weak. The plants were there before, and are far heartier than ephemeral humanoids to boot.

It didn't SEEM to be that long ago, but if it was, that's likely given plenty of time for people to become more resistant.

And....well. Maybe she was just so lonely she didn't care and just needed some contact, however brief and painful for her. (Since she obviously didn't want for anyone else to die when she chose her domain)

Another possibility is that she CAN contain her power if she tries.
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Well he was the admiral, so he may not have known how to do that part. Maybe if he were the navigator he might know, but I don't know that the captains would have known.

Regardless of what justification may be fabricated about this scenario, the fact of the matter is that the apparent lack of effort on the admiral's part is clearly a gaping plot hole. Unless he was an incompetent seaman, he should know the basics of navigating by stars. And I don't take it he was an incompetent one, given that they praised him so much.

Oh please. You obviously have no idea what it takes to navigate using stars and sun if you're saying this.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
I liked Aletta's little adventure in the other world. Also it's a little strange that Kuro doesn't speak though voice but telepathy, Red can clearly speak with her mouth and her mind so Kuro probably can as well. She even addressed that she would only link Aletta and the Master into the loop when it related to them, so why not just speak to simplify it?

Another odd note about Kuro compared to the other dragons is her name, In the sub the others had their names translated to their color (Red, Blue, Gold, Green and White) but Kuro isn't translated to Black, she's left untranslated as Kuro, just a strange thing that sets her off the pattern of the other dragons.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Did the animator all decide to take a long week end or something for this week episode? long stretch of the episode re use footage or where static/nearly static shoot.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I liked Aletta's little adventure in the other world. Also it's a little strange that Kuro doesn't speak though voice but telepathy, Red can clearly speak with her mouth and her mind so Kuro probably can as well. She even addressed that she would only link Aletta and the Master into the loop when it related to them, so why not just speak to simplify it?

Another odd note about Kuro compared to the other dragons is her name, In the sub the others had their names translated to their color (Red, Blue, Gold, Green and White) but Kuro isn't translated to Black, she's left untranslated as Kuro, just a strange thing that sets her off the pattern of the other dragons.

Not really. Kuro was presented as her name, rather than her color or title. While granted its a little confusing for westerners, considering we don't really have anything similar anymore except Smith (which isn't often used as a fist name to begin with) there is a distinction between words and Names.

Which is why subbing and dubbing Tatsumaki's name as Tornado in One Punch pisses me off. It's not the only example but it's the one most readily to my memory.
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
Oh please. You obviously have no idea what it takes to navigate using stars and sun if you're saying this.

Then please enlighten me with your vast knowledge and experience. We're not talking about a modern day where you can just navigate by GPS and not bother with the night sky. So tell me how you would navigate about without sun and starlight in the age of canvas sail? And let's be clear about something. I'm quite aware he's incapable of pinpoint precision, at least immediately. That much is obvious. But there are other very clear ways to get pretty precise over the course of a year or three.

(edit: cleaned up text)

Last edited by nechronius on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Not enough Kuro-chan! We need more black dragon of death in the form of a dark elf. And I like cookies as well, especially those kinds...
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Not really. Kuro was presented as her name, rather than her color or title. While granted its a little confusing for westerners, considering we don't really have anything similar anymore except Smith (which isn't often used as a fist name to begin with) there is a distinction between words and Names.

Which is why subbing and dubbing Tatsumaki's name as Tornado in One Punch pisses me off. It's not the only example but it's the one most readily to my memory.

.....did somebody edit my post and not say anything? I was sure I ranted a little and called subbers who translate names morons. Though I admit it could have been interpreted as me calling the person I replied to one...was that another post I made on the subject?

I hope it was, because editing somebody else's post without ANY MENTION of doing so is kind of a dick move.

Don't do that. Say something was removed. Send a PM about it. Don't just REMOVE IT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8