• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Classic Anime Get Re-dubbed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Did they rework Destiny to make it a bearable season?

Well, they added some boobs and panties. That's.... about it, really.

Though to be honest I can no longer hate SEED Destiny. Not after the last half of IBO.
That was FAR worse then Destiny at its lowest.

I figured they would stop hating Destiny after Tomino came back and made a worse show than it. And also AGE. Then the second season of IBO.

But seriously the writing to that second season of IBO was awful. McGillis Fareed now ranks pretty high on my worst Char Clones list.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I can think of so many classic anime that need a redub but I've already made a forum post about this last year.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3042940&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Didn't the old dub also have edited things like a knife being removed (which made a certain murder attempt scene look ridiculous)?

I also wasn't aware Seed and Seed Destiny were getting redubbed.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Didn't the old dub also have edited things like a knife being removed (which made a certain murder attempt scene look ridiculous)?

If you mean the Cartoon Network Toonami edit of Gundam Seed, yeah they cut and changed things that went otherwise uncensored on the original Bandai DVDs. They only aired the uncut episodes on the midnight run if I could remember correctly.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I better question to me is why is Sunrise bothering to dub a well regarded by not super popular show in SEED and pretty disliked show in SEED Destiny.

Regardless of its reputation in the US, in Japan, SEED Destiny is the third best-selling anime series since 2000:

http://www.someanithing.com/1

That isn't even including sales of SEED, which is #8.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Regardless of its reputation in the US, in Japan, SEED Destiny is the third best-selling anime series since 2000:

I never did understand why Destiny was so popular in Japan.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I better question to me is why is Sunrise bothering to dub a well regarded by not super popular show in SEED and pretty disliked show in SEED Destiny.

True, but Sunrise is paying for an English dub for SEED Destiny, hoping that many R1 fans buy discs, NOT Japanese fans. Sunrise better be aware that SEED Destiny is not beloved over here.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:

The best explanation I've ever gotten is that it's the most successful Gundam show in terms of its ability to appeal to Japanese people who wouldn't otherwise consider themselves "Gundam fans". It was marketed very well, had a lot of hot characters espousing non-controversial pro-Japanese sentiments, and brought in a lot of casual anime fans (and even some people who didn't really watch much anime).

angelmcazares wrote:
Sunrise better be aware that SEED Destiny is not beloved over here.

I wonder if Sunrise is hoping that putting SEED on streaming platforms will make it the equivalent of a big-budget Hollywood superhero film, the kind that people who buy a dozen comic books a month might not care for, but sell a ton of tickets to people who don't know whether Green Lantern is Marvel or DC.

In Sunrise's eyes, the more HG kits they can get Barnes and Nobles to stock, the better, and sub-only productions tend not to have that kind of broad appeal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
sound effects queues

I'm not trying to be snarky here, but is that "cues" as in the visual cues as to where sound effects need to be inserted to match, or is there a lineup of timed effects that runs on a separate track and so is called a "queue"?
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I wish Ranma 1/2 was given a re-dub. Why didn't that idea cross anyone's minds at Viz Media (especially after they gave Sailor Moon a re-dub)?
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
Did they rework Destiny to make it a bearable season?

Well, they added some boobs and panties. That's.... about it, really.

Though to be honest I can no longer hate SEED Destiny. Not after the last half of IBO.
That was FAR worse then Destiny at its lowest.

What's IBO? I honest thought SEED Destiny was more enjoyable than SEED though I'm a sucker for cameos and reintroducing of characters through a new character.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
nhat wrote:

What's IBO? I honest thought SEED Destiny was more enjoyable than SEED though I'm a sucker for cameos and reintroducing of characters through a new character.

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans is what IBO is.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:

The best explanation I've ever gotten is that it's the most successful Gundam show in terms of its ability to appeal to Japanese people who wouldn't otherwise consider themselves "Gundam fans". It was marketed very well, had a lot of hot characters espousing non-controversial pro-Japanese sentiments, and brought in a lot of casual anime fans (and even some people who didn't really watch much anime).

Kira as a Gundam hero is not looked down in Japan as he is in the west. I don't think they call him "Jesus" either over there sarcastically , though I could be wrong. They didn't really see a problem with Kira taking the reins of the show either unlike in the west. That and they like Lacus Clyne a lot more over there too. Some of it I think is cultural differences but I'm not sure.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Still, none of this explains or excuses the number of English dubs Dragon Ball has had over the years. Funimation even redubbed their own restart "just because"... just because they were putting it on DVD and it wasn't just for broadcast anymore.

Wait, was their intermediate Frieza dub put on VHS? It was when they were trying to sound like the Ocean dub but gave up when they realized it wasn't worth it. I mean possible. Necessary, that's the one. I still hear clips of it every now and then but it's starting to pass into legend these days.

I'm expecting another redub of Dragon Ball any day now... partly as an anniversary thing, partly so they could resell it again, partly because dubbing DB/DBZ is what they do.

FUNimation redubbed the first 67 episodes of DBZ because they were originally edited down to 53 episodes for TV. I doubt FUNi even has access to raw audio files of the Ocean dub, but even if they did, they wouldn't match up to uncut footage.

As the Orange Bricks were being released, there were small adjustments to the dub here and there through the end of the series. I assume they do this because the director, Chris Sabat, is passionate enough to bother.

Ultimately, what you get on FUNi's DVDs/Blu-ray is far and away not the Toonami broadcast experience.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Greed1914"]Well, mystery solved. I had no idea that SEED was reworked to such an extent, but I have to give Sunrise credit for deciding to make the extra effort.[/quote

uh no kidding. that is more than an understatement.

but if that was the case, they could have just simply did a reboot of the SEED series if they were planing to rework it that much.

after all there were zero chance the other explanations that answerman would have made sense considering how much close the relationship that sunrise had between bandai ent that licensed the gundam series back then and with Ocean Studios/ The Ocean Group that did all of the dubs for the gundam series that werent OVAs. (Animaze/Zero Limit Productions did the OVAs)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4