• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord Novel 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Assuming that the warning is accurate, this is kind of the point of the set-up... i.e.,spoiler[ they aren't related.] Also, that type of content has become its own sub-genre, so if that were to occur in this, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Whoosh!

I think everybody commenting knows spoiler[they aren't related. That's irrelevant. Screwing the child you've adopted once they're grown is really frowned upon by most people. ]

My comment was not to indicate approval or disapproval. I was merely commenting on the fact that this type of set up is calculated with a particular goal in mind, and it is common enough in anime/manga/LN that I am no longer surprised.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:
And I want to read it now more than before. Every time the Morality Police for Japanese Imports get in a snit, I get interested, if only to spite them. I bet I'm not the only one.

Same. I any don't have any problem with 'that' kind of setting either as long as a good story can be found under the hood. If anything, it makes me even more interested in reading it. Latina is adorable as hell, that is all the motivation I need for now. Smile

Just as long as it ends on a happy note...
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
oh wait the web novel went THAT route?

ok i sincerely hope the general reaction to spoiler[Usagi Drop's ]ending reaches the editors or whoever has final say in what gets published cause i do NOT want that sorta ending.

That aside I absolutely love the series so far, I went and read the free sample online and the bastards had me hook line and sinker, i just had to get a subscription to read the rest despite how much I vehemently detest Digital only copies of anything.
And thats to that subscription i wanted to get the most for my money and started reading faraway paladin and how a realist Kingdom rebuilt the Kingdom.
THEN I find out they skip volumes in between and I'm forced to buy the digital books.
Their marketing strategy is EVIL, genius but evil.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
oh wait the web novel went THAT route?

ok i sincerely hope the general reaction to spoiler[Usagi Drop's ]ending reaches the editors or whoever has final say in what gets published cause i do NOT want that sorta ending.

A bit late for that, I looked and apparently the main story of the webnovel is already finished and it continues by way of afterstories. Light novel version is up to volume 6 in Japan meaning there's at best 2-3 volumes worth left to squeeze from the webnovel currently, as estimated by Sam Pinansky on the jnovel forums.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
came here to read the drama in the comments after hearing about The Apparent Twist.

I'd been meaning to read the manga adaptation for ages but after hearing about TAT I kinda backed away. I'll just wait out the novels developments and see how it plays out
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
Kinda wishing I hadn't read any of the comments now..

The review reminded me of one thing that really bothered me at the start and has never come up as far as J-Novel have gone so far: Dale teaches her his language but never even makes any attempt to learn any more of her's. I know that she needs to know to common tongue, but I thought a bit more of an exchange of cultures would have been nice, and surely it would benefit him as well if all magic is in the demon tongue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
QuarkboySam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Kinda wishing I hadn't read any of the comments now..

The review reminded me of one thing that really bothered me at the start and has never come up as far as J-Novel have gone so far: Dale teaches her his language but never even makes any attempt to learn any more of her's. I know that she needs to know to common tongue, but I thought a bit more of an exchange of cultures would have been nice, and surely it would benefit him as well if all magic is in the demon tongue.

That's an interesting criticism but I think you are reading too much into it. I think it's more likely that in order to go down a plot route like that the author would actually have to properly invent a new language, unlike the method the author currently uses of just putting normal Japanese with strange brackets around it to indicate a different language, and the author is not willing or capable of doing something like that. It shouldn't be taken as some slight on Dale's character here.
Dealing with multiple languages in a fantasy setting is an incredibly difficult task to do well and it's something that only real great authors do... I hope CHIROLU can get there one day but like most of the authors of our books these are probably the first work they've ever had published, they don't have the self confidence to go out inventing languages.

Edit: Oh weird, when I reset my password I guess it was for my old account! QuarkboySam's back Wink.

I wonder what the email was for my other account, I totally don't remember it. Ah well this one will work fine.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
QuarkboySam wrote:
That's an interesting criticism but I think you are reading too much into it. I think it's more likely that in order to go down a plot route like that the author would actually have to properly invent a new language, unlike the method the author currently uses of just putting normal Japanese with strange brackets around it to indicate a different language, and the author is not willing or capable of doing something like that. It shouldn't be taken as some slight on Dale's character here.

I don't really need to see the process or any made-up words, I was more thinking of just a nod to the effect that he had her tell him the demon words for things while he was telling her the human ones. In theory knowing the demon language would give one more flexibility with magic (not that the magic system has been detailed overly much thus far, other than Latina having control over the scale of effect IIRC). Although, in theory, studying Latin should be the most important lesson at Hogwarts :p

Quote:
I wonder what the email was for my other account, I totally don't remember it. Ah well this one will work fine.

On the off change you have email notifications on, I've pinged you a PM to your other address which should then ID the email you used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
@Shiroi Hane

I haven't read the book yet. However, from the article I note that he is a high priest (and presumably a magic user). It is likely that he has more formal education in the demon language than she does.

Alternatively, it may be just cultural blindness on the part of the author. I know any number of English speakers to whom it would never occur to try to learn from a native speaker of some other language, even though they would have no objection to helping that person learn English. I doubt the Japanese are any different. Since she is only eight when he takes her in, unless he makes an effort to use both languages, she could almost completely lose her ability to speak demon by the time she is an adult.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
He could only understand fragments of what she was saying; AFAICT he literally only knows some scattered words from their use in spells. It just seemed so obvious to me that he would ask her to teach him in return that it surprised me when it didn't happen.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Since it played out that way, it is probably just a blind spot on the part of the author. Possibly a reaction to being forced to learn a useless language in school. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2