• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Violet Evergarden Anime Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:

I think Netflix has a positive role to play in the industry, which I hinted at above. Netflix made a lot of announcements the other day, and most of those were almost certainly Netflix Originals. I mean real Netflix Original anime, not distributing something that aired on TV months before (outside Japan). This is what I think Netflix should, and seemingly will be, focusing on.

You're not wrong. But I'm not sure if nets into the positive with how bad making people wait 4-6 months is. Those anime honestly look pretty generic compared to shows like Violet Evergarden that they are "Hoarding". I know it's not much to more casual viewers, but people like me that helped push the industry out of the slump in the mid 00s live off watching anime as it airs. A lot of us have nothing else to do. There is more anime now than ever but most of it is pretty garbage so when something of real quality gets held back for pointless dubs that most of the show's true fans don't care about (and that they could just add later for the people that want them), it's pretty insulting.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Fuuuuuuuuuuuudge. Fudge it. I waited (still waiting) for LWA. I will (begrudgingly) wait for Kakegurui. But this? I just don't think I have it in me to wait until it has finished airing in Japan to be able to watch it legally. I'll gladly watch it a second time, as I typically do for Kyoto Animation series, when it eventually does come to Netflix for the legal viewing, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to do fansubs for the first time through. I hope that those of us that are rightfully upset at this news can start (if they haven't done so already) sending formal complaints to Netflix directly to change their ways via customer support, email, whatever. Even if we already know that they technically don't have to change anything from their policies, I think it would be better to do that (it's something) than just complaining like I am right now in a forum I don't think Netflix pays too much attention to and then moving on to sail the seven seas. I saw the world premiere at Anime Expo and I had strong positive feelings toward it and would hate it if doesn't get the legal support it could have had had it just been licensed by, say, Crunchyroll for oversees viewing as it airs on Japanese TV. I just hope that the series can at least be a success in Japan. I know that it's not the end of the world to just wait it out for the first time viewing, but I just would have preferred it greatly if Crunchyroll had gotten this one.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:

Thank god someone understands me. I mean seriously you guys are acting like its the end of the dam world. Which is childish. Really. And I wonder how many people are actually subscribed/use legal streaming anyways, because I bet at least 70-75% of you all use illegal streaming sites to stream/download anyways. Which is just being a hypocrite.

"Oh no I can`t stream my anime weekly! I`m doomed! Its the end of my world!" -via 99% of the people in this comment section.

"darn I won`t be able to watch my anime weekly, but I am patient and will be able to marathon the whole anime in just a day or two." -via 1% of the people in this comment section.

So people having different opinions than you makes them childish? You trying to incite a flame war? Accusing us of being pirates is pretty awful too. As I said in a previous post, to a lot of us more hardcore anime fans, this is our main hobby. We don't enjoy much else besides watching new anime. Having an anime held back for 4-6 months is garbage. Especially in 2017 when every other company is releasing them subbed within hours of airing on Japanese TV. Especially in August 2017, a full year after Netflix Japan streamed Kuromukuro with english subtitles on a weekly basis. They have the ability. They choose not to because for some reason they don't care about the most hardcore fans. Simulcasting anime is the standard. We don't want to binge it. We want to enjoy the weekly discussions with our friends in Japan, speculating and theorizing what happens next. We want to enjoy the content when it's truly new. I don't know why I'm bothering explaining this because you probably can't understand. I know people like me are a minority. People like me that have anime as our #1 hobby - that watch 25-30 anime a season.

But really, why do you care how we feel? Would it really bother you if they subbed it and released it on a weekly basis? It shouldn't. You can choose to wait and binge it when it's all over. I get no choice in this situation. Having the option to do either or is the best solution for everyone. Especially when they're already airing on Japanese Netflix.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
DukeNukem3D0 wrote:
Seriously these people don't have any patience to just wait for spring next year, it's not that big of a deal

Thank god someone understands me. I mean seriously you guys are acting like its the end of the dam world. Which is childish. Really. And I wonder how many people are actually subscribed/use legal streaming anyways, because I bet at least 70-75% of you all use illegal streaming sites to stream/download anyways. Which is just being a hypocrite.

"Oh no I can`t stream my anime weekly! I`m doomed! Its the end of my world!" -via 99% of the people in this comment section.

"darn I won`t be able to watch my anime weekly, but I am patient and will be able to marathon the whole anime in just a day or two." -via 1% of the people in this comment section.

Okay hold on for a minute there, I for one love to support anime and the industry in general and have always used paid services, however if a service that I'm paying for makes me wait 5-6 months to watch a show that I can watch weekly for free as it airs via fan-subs, what's the point? I rather donate to the person doing fan-subs, simply because they're supplying me with a better service. One that I didn't even have to pay for in the first place.

Now I want you to sell me on Netflix's schedule and plan based on this view point of mine. If you want to call me entitled and whiny feel free, but that's all your argument has been so far.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the hardcore fans (who are the ones who really care to watch shows week to week, and generally watch 25-30 shows a season) are the ones who pay the bills. Almost every niche industry that way (look at ANY f2p mmo or mobile app.) The tiny hardcore minority pays for the vast majority of profits. Your casual fan who watches 3-5 anime a year, will maybe buy 1-2 BD's if you're lucky. The hardcore fan will spend tens of thousands of dollars every year buying BD's, figures, merchandise and that's what keeps the industry going. As a paying fan, we can voice our displeasure in the way Netflix does business to our niche, that is our right.

@zrnzle500 Oh I definitely agree that the whole "Netflix original" could be a huge thing for anime, and I'm super glad they are doing it. I just hope they don't kill the rest of the smaller NA Anime companies in their wake of getting there. Also I really want HiDive to be the replacement for TAN, but they are still going with Strike as of yet Sad
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
DukeNukem3D0 wrote:
Seriously these people don't have any patience to just wait for spring next year, it's not that big of a deal
It is, actually. X number of anime air each season.

You mean only the shows that catch your interest.

Quote:
We don't have time for backlogs. Forcing us to backlog this, only makes it harder to make time for it when newer shows are airing in Spring.

Stop. As someone who is a hardcore anime fan, I am forced to backlog ALL of my shows. Due to my career working on a cruise ship. If I, a hardcore anime fan, am forced to backlog, then there will be a time where you will have to backlog too.

Quote:
Furthermore, it's simply our hobby. We watch a lot of anime and we wan't to watch as much as we can during our free time. But thanks to the show behind held back for no legit reason, we have more free time to do nothing with it since we can't watch this show during that time.

I truly mean this in the kindest of words, sadly get another hobby to help preoccupy the time.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

You're not wrong. But I'm not sure if nets into the positive with how bad making people wait 4-6 months is. Those anime honestly look pretty generic compared to shows like Violet Evergarden that they are "Hoarding". I know it's not much to more casual viewers, but people like me that helped push the industry out of the slump in the mid 00s live off watching anime as it airs. A lot of us have nothing else to do. There is more anime now than ever but most of it is pretty garbage so when something of real quality gets held back for pointless dubs that most of the show's true fans don't care about (and that they could just add later for the people that want them), it's pretty insulting.

Ultimately, Netflix only grabs one or two simulcasts, and not all of them are highly anticipated (anyone asking when they're going to put up ID-0? I say that even though I would very much like to watch it). I agree that some of their recent ones have been frustrating but I will push back on the dubs being pointless, even as someone who doesn't watch dubs. In the short run and for hardcore fans like you or I (usually have 30+ shows a season. I use the same username on MAL if you want to check), yeah it was a mistake to go with Netflix. But long term and for the wider casual audience, it actually seems correct. LWA and Apocrypha are in the wheelhouse of stuff that casuals might be interested in, or at least that's what they believe, given their inclusion of the prior works of both (don't know about Kakegurui yet as I haven't seen it... Evil or Very Mad). I don't know that Violet Evergarden fits that mold, but if it is potentially one of the best anime ever (as I would like to believe), I don't know what better advertisement for the medium there is or a better venue for it to do so. Most of the people I know in person that have watched any substantial amount of anime do so through Netflix. Casuals tend to want dubs, so if you want them to watch it, it must be offered as an option. I don't like it but I don't know there isn't a case to be made for what they are doing.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:

If everyone had to wait until the whole season came out as one block, there wouldn't be an issue. But that's not the situation. Anyone living in Japan or willing to resort to shady methods gets to see it sooner, and weekly. So that's when all discussion and hype over the show will happen. This creates a "tragedy of the commons" situation where many people who may not want to pirate a show will feel like they have no choice, because if they don't they miss out on the initial party, and may get hit with spoilers while they're waiting on Netflix. Imagine if the western half of the US had to wait a month to see new Game of Thrones episodes, while the eastern half could see them immediately--there'd be riots in the streets... followed by torrenting.

And yeah, in some respects, this is kind of childish. But then, the word "childish" is mostly used to make fun of people who don't like the status quo. You can't change how people react or feel about something by calling them names, and it just makes you sound condescending. Ideally, the companies running these streaming systems would pay more attention to what people want instead of trying to force everyone to accept something they don't like, and creating a big mess. But I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
My reaction to this news was pretty much "Eh, at least it's not Amazon."
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
So from what I got from actually learning the difference between winter and spring seasons is that... people can`t wait at least 2 whole weeks from the end of the winter anime to spring. Again I`ll say people are acting like its the end of the dam world.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
I'm not usually that upset by Netflix getting something(though I do hate to watch as it destroys the hype and fandom discussion of something that ends up being really good), but in this case, I am rather bummed because slice of life, episodic shows, and generally, stuff like Violet Evergarden, are the kind of things that I watch weekly. I was really looking forward to this one. It honestly doesn't sound like it'll be a very good marathon kind of show, based on everything I've seen, either. And I don't know if it's going to really have the broad appeal that I wish KyoAni shows did have, but typically don't.

Last edited by relyat08 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
Glad I saw this at AX when I did. It will be almost a year wait! Just like Your Name. coming over here. It was amazing and I hope it continues the path of quality that I saw.

I just find that anime only streamed on Netflix or Amazon sort of frizzle out over here for popularity. Like Little Witch Academia would've been way more popular had it been legally streaming when it aired or Kabaneri (which really nobody talks about.) When anime is on CR or Funimation and then on somewhere like CR, it does much better. I wonder if the rights to air takes longer for Netflix and Amazon or something?
DukeNukem3D0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
You people weren't complaining when they did the same thing with voltron and marvel shows, but when it comes to anime you act like it's the end of the world, grow up
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
As someone who is from Holland who can not legally stream anime dubs from FunimationNow for example. I dont find it a big deal at all waiting that long since i wouldnt be able to watch it legally at all. Sure i could watch some titles every season on Crunchyroll but i dont like subs that much.

Netflix anime catalog starting to look really good. Which is the only reason i got a subscription on it since this month.
lucio542

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Well good luck for those who will wait for spring, i doens't use netflix, i live to download anime, but its good to see that netflix is getting more and more and animes, one day maybe i get an account.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8