• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Persona 5 Game Ships 1.8 Million Copies Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
This is the first AAA Atlus game, even if the tech is last gen, so P5 also needs to make AAA numbers

Personally I feel the fact that the game is last generation tech is exceptionally impressive, as stylistically it all looks and plays very well on current generation hardware. I guess this just goes to show that PS3 software evolved very well when put into capable hands.

I'm somewhat of a Persona freak as I have every title released state-side, but I have to say for most all the more recent JRPGs out there I believe I've enjoyed P5 the most; even more so than FFXV. The more mature and engaging story of P5 really kept me coming back, and despite the characters being trope-y and seemingly re-used there's still a very nice variety. I have to say though I was really cringing at parts with some of the translation and grammar structure. Not that it needs to be exceptionally perfect by any means, but the text really could have used some polish.
Junko666

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I had to look up his name though, which is very bad as i took me 68 hours to see the ending and had to use all of them equally to get the navigation trophy.

I find it quite hard to believe that you completed the game in just 68 hours, unless you were playing on the easiest difficulty and skipped most of the social links. I'm 100 hours in and only at the Space station dungeon.
skyechan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
Junko666 wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
I had to look up his name though, which is very bad as i took me 68 hours to see the ending and had to use all of them equally to get the navigation trophy.

I find it quite hard to believe that you completed the game in just 68 hours, unless you were playing on the easiest difficulty and skipped most of the social links. I'm 100 hours in and only at the Space station dungeon.

I don't know about that; I did mine on normal difficulty, maxed all stats, and maxed all social links. My completion game time was 80:18. So 68 hours isn't that far of a stretch. They might've leveled against the Reaper to be high enough level to breeze through palaces or something. (And yes, I followed a guide that basically said, "On this day do this" in order to accomplish the social links and stats in just one playthrough.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
Very much enjoyed the game! I don't get hung up on all the vocal complaints.

Took me I think 120+ hours on Normal difficulty.

I was surprised by the abrupt last portion though and expected I had at least another month left to finish ranking up the last stat and a few Social links, but suddenly we get locked in a dungeon.

There will likely be a re-release like the other games, or they'll just make it DLC. But I would not expect anything to get significantly reworked. An additional month would've been nice, but considering how the story goes spoiler[it would be hard because you spend that in prison while your buddies try to clear you.] So I'd only expect gameplay improvements and added/extended/improved event scenes. I don't kow if there are any tarot cards left to create more social links.

It'd make more sense to create a Persona 5-2 in my estimation than a re-release. Something other than the spin-off dancing/fighting games.

Maybe a game with Makoto as the lead spoiler[going to police academy.] Kinda like a standalone FES episode. Take a page out of stuff like Uncharted: Lost Legacy and release smaller budget titles that can reuse assets for shorter developed games.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
So excited to see P5 keeps on shipping. This just means the power of Makoto is still in effect.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
I'm somewhat of a Persona freak as I have every title released state-side, but I have to say for most all the more recent JRPGs out there I believe I've enjoyed P5 the most; even more so than FFXV. The more mature and engaging story of P5 really kept me coming back, and despite the characters being trope-y and seemingly re-used there's still a very nice variety. I have to say though I was really cringing at parts with some of the translation and grammar structure. Not that it needs to be exceptionally perfect by any means, but the text really could have used some polish.

I still preferred the story of PS4 at first, since the small-town atmosphere was a little more welcoming than the beginning "misfits united" tone of "Everybody else in the world is a jerk".
But, once you get into the feel for it, it's just as good, the Phantom Thieves raids of dodging or bushwhacking guards feels like the old Lupin III PS2 game, and the free-universe sections of Tokyo are a little more navigable like Akiba'Strip, and not the complete wandering virtual-Tokyo of the Yakuza games. (Oh, the first time you had to get home from changing trains at the stations...)
Still, unlike the murder-mystery plot of P4, who doesn't fast-forward over the cringeworthy camp of P5's droolingly protracted "Muahahaaaa, I'm getting rich by exploiting you meddling kids!" villain-monologuing speeches just before the big boss-battles, when the villain's shadow reveals what a, to use Ryuji's term, "Mean S***ty Grownup" he is? Rolling Eyes

Junko666 wrote:

After realizing that you couldn't switch back and forth between the English and Japanese audio, I deliberately took my first game right up to what seemed to be the first plot-climactic fever pitch--right after the Pyramid, and just as spoiler[the prosecutor-interrogation flashback is about to come full circle, and Sae is the next target]--and started the game over with JP audio.
My last known save was at 70 hours, but now that I'd worked out the bugs about where the harder puzzle traps were, and how to get around Mementos, I'm at 21 hours and just about to start the gangster's Space-dungeon plot.

Since every villain's dungeon seems to be themed to one of the Seven Deadly Sins, nobody tell me, just hint about whether there's four more to go. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2