• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Explaining the English Light Novel Boom with Bookwalker Global

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
If there's an English light novel boom then why in the world has Kino's Journey not been brought over (again)?

While I think it can happen after the new anime airs, I also think the Tokyopop version and its aribitrarily rearranging of the chapters in the first novel (and subsequent, apparently, annoyance of the original author) did burn a few bridges and that's why no one has brought it back, market considerations aside.

I'd rather have Boogiepop back, personally....and also the Crest of the Stars novels in the complete version, not the 200-page butchered version by Tokyopop.

That's what I've heard, too. I believe it was that, due to the differences between English and Japanese pronouns, they thought they couldn't avoid giving away a certain twist and just shoved it to the front instead. Sigsawa seems to love wordplay and experimenting with unorthodox narration (e.g. most books have at least one story with its second half told first) so he really requires a dedicated translator or a lot of explanatory annotations. Hoping someone skilled enough gets the job, should it be officially released.

Kino's Journey as a series is so different from most LN's/anime that it'd be interesting to see a widespread release. I have multiple friends who have no interest in "Japanese stuff" that still like it, because it follows such different conventions than most Eastern (or Western) media. I think if marketed right it could fill a very distinct niche.

(Much as I'd like to see it grow popular outside the anime market, I think the cover illustrations would attract only anime fans. Say, didn't Tokyopop try and change the covers, too?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4