• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Anime Dialogue Recorded After Animation Is Done?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
#861208 wrote:
Sentai's DVD release of the series is even harder to watch because the subtitles are awful and you can't turn it off. ... it didn't get a dub, but having no dub is better than having a Sentai dub.

It's not like every dub they produce is questionable.
Yes some of their recent shows have been very good, like Amagi Brilliant Park and Vampire Hunter D. They have most of the staff from ADV, so they have plenty of talent at their disposal.
crosswithyou wrote:
It seems the animation market in Korea is pretty big too and they produce a lot of their own shows. I wonder if they also follow the Japanese model of animation, especially considering they provide a lot of animation for Japanese shows.
Korea has being making animation for America longer then they have Japan, and that is full production not just some in-betweens and colouring. So it would be more likely that they have adapted the American way of doing it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:06 am Reply with quote
I always find it a bit amusing when I see someone complain about lip flaps in an English dub, but they completely ignore when the Japanese track has the same issue. I've seen a number of Funimation and Sentai dubs where the audio was synced better to the animation than the Japanese version.

Also, it's worth noting that this isn't entirely due to the lip syncing ability of the actors, though that this a big part of it. A lot of digital manipulation takes place afterwards to help the audio and video sync up better. Not to mention, I think most of us are aware of instances where the dialogue was slightly altered to better fit the lip flaps.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
You can also look at this the other way. Why do fans of Western cartoons place so much emphasis on animating all the syllables one at a time, to the point where it's a common joke that anime "has bad lip sync"? For me something like Family Guy looks actually a bit creepy.

I suspect it's what the audience is used to seeing emphasised and therefore expect. On the whole, Japanese animation prioritises detailed art at the cost of detail of movement, and Western animation prioritises detailed movement over detail of art. Western audiences have come to expect to be able to practically lip-read cartoons, Japanese audiences tend not to care about that but expect other kinds of details. Of course, many (most?) Westerns who watch anime get used to it, but for some it just feels too wrong.
#861208 wrote:
Because it's based on an otome game, and people would just think it was ridiculous for someone to think an otome game based anime is that good, and disregard the rest of what I was saying.

(it's Kamigami no Asobi, by the way. Not at all a typical otome game anime - barely a harem at all, actually, and with amazing voice acting. Please watch it.)

I'll happily accept that an anime based on an otome game can be very well-made, but even if it is "barely a harem", there's just a very limited number of people it would be of interest to.
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I always find it a bit amusing when I see someone complain about lip flaps in an English dub, but they completely ignore when the Japanese track has the same issue.

It could be that the disconnect between mouth movement and speech is less jarring when it's not your native language you're hearing. (Or maybe it's just fanboys being blind to the flaws that exist in their precious Japanese animation.)
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
Also… it's the animation staff that ultimately creates the show.

Depends on the show. For some it's the exact opposite, with the obvious example being any show where a significant proportion or even the entire show is ad libbed and animated to the voice acting.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I always find it a bit amusing when I see someone complain about lip flaps in an English dub, but they completely ignore when the Japanese track has the same issue.

I suspect that happens because an English speaking audience is familiar with English lip flaps, and knows practically nothing about Japanese lip flaps.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I am definetively not talking about high budget (reads as "millions of dollars") CGI animations. Back to our garden variety USA animation, twenty years ago ocean group (the ones that dubbed to english Ranma 1/2) already had the technology to adjust dialogue to fit the screen, but that is imo highly unprofessional, you brain is bound to detect something funny when you hear a word is compressed or enlarged even half a second.

I was actually referring to the opposite (ie. that you can adjust how long a given frame of animation is on screen). Considering that anime is often "on the 2s and 3s" you should be able to adjust flaps with minor variance to the final cut without much trouble (unless it's a REALLY high action scene). And I'm saying western animation could easily do the same.

Here's some old DBZ footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHsnba8-vvI&t=103s
A LOT of anime (like this) doesn't bother with "lip" movements 90% of the time so the difference between various sounds simply isn't animated, it's just the mouth opening and closing. Try saying "What do you want" by only moving your mouth up and down (with no lip protrusion at all). If you're able to do it, I expect it feels highly unnatural. But you get that in anime all the time, probably western animation (like Adventure Time or Rick and Morty) too, but I don't watch a lot of US animation anymore. South Park does this, which is one reason they can turn episodes around REALLY fast.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
It could be that the disconnect between mouth movement and speech is less jarring when it's not your native language you're hearing. (Or maybe it's just fanboys being blind to the flaws that exist in their precious Japanese animation.)

I actually imagine a LOT of it has to do with trying to keep up with reading subtitles. You simply can't watch the mouths closely if you're tracking subs.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I was actually referring to the opposite (ie. that you can adjust how long a given frame of animation is on screen). Considering that anime is often "on the 2s and 3s" you should be able to adjust flaps with minor variance to the final cut without much trouble (unless it's a REALLY high action scene). And I'm saying western animation could easily do the same.

I think that if you present this idea to any animation studio they (The inbetweeners, the key animator, the character designer and the director) will put you in chains and slap you.

HeeroTX wrote:
Here's some old DBZ footage

A LOT of anime (like this) doesn't bother with "lip" movements 90% of the time so the difference between various sounds simply isn't animated,

Most of the people in the world do not expect lips to match the sound produced since:

1) Animation is done before the voice acting.
2) Even when english voice acting was done before the animation, when it is dubbed to other languages any mouth movements are lost since i.e. "Good morning" and "Buenos dias" require different movements of the mouth.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
It's really down to direction and the animation involved.

With pre-animation voice recording, most of the time it's purposely to match not only the voices of the actors but also capturing facial expressions, which is a technique Disney uses often. This adds to a character design in giving them more natural expressions and mouth movement than simple lip flaps. But as someone mentioned previously, this also has a drawback in that if there is a change of a script after the animation is completed, the animation team has to go back to rework it. Which is a loss in time and money. Fortunately, with modern CGI tools, it can be a fast rework. Unlike a traditional animation team, whom would've needed weeks to correct.

So if this practice is likely used for a movie with a huge budget (like a Disney movie).

With post-animation voice recording, that we see with most animations (especially in Japanese anime), it's a quick process. Just a few hours in the recording booth, actors could complete a season or two of an animation. Thus being cheaper. Though the downside, the script and animation is locked in stone. So there is no room for improvisation or creativity for the actors if they thought up ideas.

That in itself is a negative, unlike a live-action, creativity is limited to the lip flap duration.

Personally, while it's more expensive, I find the pre-animation gives a nicer performance. But in the world of anime, the post-works a bit better. Especially with their limited budgets.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:

I think that if you present this idea to any animation studio they (The inbetweeners, the key animator, the character designer and the director) will put you in chains and slap you.

"Animation staff" wouldn't need to do ANYTHING. Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raiz5MAb98Q&t=1m30s
Clearly NONE of this was animated to match the audio. Is it perfect? no, of course not, but this was made entirely by some amateur fan for "fun". A pro timing editor could easily do the same. You just change the video timing so that instead of mouth animation frames going on: 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22
You could make them fire on frames: 1, 2, 5, 8, 9, 13, 15, 18, 23
And thus get the mouth to move on different audio queues. There are limits certainly, but if you know in advance what you're dealing with you can limit the complicated parts.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I read somewhere that Kou Matsuo likes to do the same [voices first].

The voice acting for both Red Garden and Kurenai was performed before the animations were made. I've only watched a bit of Red Garden, so I can't comment on that, but this approach certainly lent a degree of spontaneity to the voice acting in Kurenai that is pretty uncommon. There are even multi-way conversations where the actors talk over each other as people often do in real life. The best example of this is the scene in episode three when Murasaki visits Shinkarou's school and gets into a heated discussion with him and his classmate and osananajimi Yuuno (whom little Murasaki calls "that vile woman").

Last edited by yuna49 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Yes some of their recent shows have been very good, like Amagi Brilliant Park and Vampire Hunter D. They have most of the staff from ADV, so they have plenty of talent at their disposal.

Exactly.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I always find it funny when the purists claim that Japanese audio tracks are superior because the animation was "made for" Japanese voicing. Clearly they're not aware that the Japanese VAs undergo essentially the same "talking over pre-existing animation" process that dub VAs do.

In the translated liner notes from the Madlax singles, Toshiyuki Morikawa points out, "There was color in the film from the time that we were recording Madlax -- it was a great environment to act in. I believe that this, too, was thanks to the extraordinary efforts of Director Mashimo's staff."

From that, we can infer that recording to finalized/colored drawings is more of an exception than a rule, at least in Morikawa's experience.

MarshalBanana wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
#861208 wrote:
Sentai's DVD release of the series is even harder to watch because the subtitles are awful and you can't turn it off. ... it didn't get a dub, but having no dub is better than having a Sentai dub.

It's not like every dub they produce is questionable.
But they had much of that same ADV-era talent at their disposal back in ~2010, when they were churning out one mediocre rushed subtitle script readthrough after another. The difference lies in the time and budget allotted to writing/adaptation and direction, in terms of doing retakes to get things right instead of merely shoving everything out the door as quickly as possible.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I always find it funny when the purists claim that Japanese audio tracks are superior because the animation was "made for" Japanese voicing. Clearly they're not aware that the Japanese VAs undergo essentially the same "talking over pre-existing animation" process that dub VAs do.

Sub purists generally don't have much working intelligence beyond seeing Japan as a magical holy land of perfection. I could tell you stories of the amusing weeb ignorance I've seen on GameFAQs and YouTube. Many really don't understand the voice acting process whatsoever, but delude themselves into thinking they do just because they watch anime and play JRPGs in the so-called "superior language".

EDIT: In the future, I'm keeping my opinions to myself. I'm tired of being the only one called out on my thoughts on extreme sub purists.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
With post-animation voice recording, that we see with most animations (especially in Japanese anime), it's a quick process. Just a few hours in the recording booth, actors could complete a season or two of an animation. Thus being cheaper. Though the downside, the script and animation is locked in stone. So there is no room for improvisation or creativity for the actors if they thought up ideas.

HA! Sorry, but you're wrong. It's not just "a few hours" of work. In fact, for a half-hour episode, seiyuu block out 5 hours of their schedule. Of course the recording may not take that long, but they're usually in the studio for at least 4 hours an episode, even if they only have one line. Some accommodations may be made depending on the specific person's schedule, but in general, it's 5 hours in the studio for a 24-minute episode. They also record just one episode a week so a one-cour season will take at least 3 months to record.

The script is also not "locked in stone." They do a test run of the recording, then the director, writer, and other staff may make some changes to the script or give instructions to the seiyuu for specific lines. Depending on the series and the atmosphere of the recording, there may be chances to ad-lib. Sometimes the script even directs the seiyuu to ad-lib something. Inoue Kazuhiko did a lot of (non-instructed) ad-libbing for Nyanko Sensei in Natsume Yuujinchou, and his fellow cast members have mentioned how sometimes what he says during the actual recording may be different than what he said during rehearsal.

Zalis116 wrote:
In the translated liner notes from the Madlax singles, Toshiyuki Morikawa points out, "There was color in the film from the time that we were recording Madlax -- it was a great environment to act in. I believe that this, too, was thanks to the extraordinary efforts of Director Mashimo's staff."

From that, we can infer that recording to finalized/colored drawings is more of an exception than a rule, at least in Morikawa's experience.

Yup. It's very rare for seiyuu to have the opportunity to record to finished animation.
Apashi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Hm, somehow I already knew this, but thinking about it now really clears some things up. I always found the mouth movements for both English and Japanese dubs were off when the characters were singing. It doesn't seem to be half as bad anymore, but now I'm sure that's because of computer graphics. I actually always liked the way this process looked better in general. The animation doesn't look as 'forced' to me the anime way. But it's much more obvious when there is more artistry involved with a voice like singing. Now I understand why the Disney characters could move their mouths with the song but the anime girls couldn't as well. But still, I think it has a cool effect when it isn't totally synced up. It's fine with me. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5