• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What the Heck Happened to Berserk?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:19 am Reply with quote
2D will always be the future. Pass or fail. I knew Berserk was going to be trash the moment they announced what style it was be in.

EnigmaticSky wrote:
Maybe they could try to salvage this whole thing and do a "Berserk: Brotherhood."

I highly doubt a new Berserk would release outside Japan for that to happen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:37 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
2D will always be the future.

Laughing

Sure, and vhs tapes are going to make a come back. Also, I'm pretty sure people are going to abandon vehicles and go back to horse and buggies.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
KH91 wrote:

Laughing

Sure, and vhs tapes are going to make a come back. Also, I'm pretty sure people are going to abandon vehicles and go back to horse and buggies.
2D is not comparable to those things, because 2D animation is a form of media. Not old technology that we have replacements for. If 3D is a replacement for anything, it is stock animation.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Creating Berserk as a 3D/2D hybrid would be the only way to accurately retain what makes Berserk great visually with the resources available to these studios.

I guess the 90s anime doesn't exist anymore.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
So, is there a CG TV Anime that worked?

Arpeggio of Blue Steel comes to mind.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Blood- wrote:
KH91 wrote:

Laughing

2D is not comparable to those things, because 2D animation is a form of media. Not old technology that we have replacements for. If 3D is a replacement for anything, it is stock animation.

3D animation has already replaced 2D for North American animated films. One of the reasons the same isn't true of anime is that anime is generally made on a shoe-string budget and productions cannot afford to create the same 3D quality that big budget Disney, Pixar, etc films can. However, this ignores the reality that 1) 3D animation techniques will continuously fall in price and 2) 3D animation techniques will continuously improve as they fall in price.

The other reason that the 2D look is still so prevalent in anime is that the creators and Japanese consumers still favour it (as do I). However, to assume that this means 2D will "always be the future" is pretty laughable.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
@BadNewsBlues The failed films were a ploy by 4°C to further their name though Berserk. They even recycled the tech and Griffith model for a later produced ad! The films and even the studio now drifted into obscurity BUT that project clearly brought in new readers. I overall don´t like the films but they were the first adaptation in a decade (since the PS2 game) and the first anime in 15 years. The new show though only had a 3 year break and that isn´t enough to bring new eyes to the franchise. It can´t work as a “brand advertisement” if it´s reaching the same audience by just existing and not expanding to new people by being a widely acclaimed hit. The S01 at least managed to get weekly IGN coverage, so I am willing to excuse it, but S02 even saw the piracy numbers sharply plummet. The anime isn´t viewed as good enough to steal anymore, despite the fact that the story´s core cast and scenario are established within!

@Valhern About the manga sales. It always sold. Questionable adaptations won´t scare away established readers and the mange is one of the most famous comics of all time. Especially if you consider the harsh barrier of entry the manga sets. Sales figures didn´t spike in recent years though and that is a huge problem. Midnight anime are mostly trans-media ads, something YA is clearly trying for Berserk with:
Anime projects, a game (+ tie-ins with the phenomenal Dragon's Dogma), a pachinko machine (these target people over 40 and 50), new toy lines, a book + manga guide and Zodd knows what else.
The problem is that success just isn´t coming, as it´s too easy to see that most are low budget ventures with little passion. I don´t need a crystal ball to see that most of that is being shelved for the foreseeable future, as you can only loose so much money without seeing a return on your investment.
Any new long form adaptation would need to start from scratch too, as the foundation that was left to them now resembles a tar pit. Even the team behind let´s say Monster or the 2nd HxH wouldn´t be able to claw themselves to a workable foundation. Especially if I consider that 3 films and 2 seasons couldn´t bother to adapt the backstory of the core trio before they joined the Falcons Confused !

One aspect the article doesn´t cover is the abysmal state of the audio presentation, as it is the worst thing about the series by a mile. I just can´t believe that the credited Shiro Sagisu properly worked on this show, as half of the tracks are incoherent remixes of his film score and 2 Susumu songs mostly cover the rest. We can talk about CLANGs till the sun sets but Musou and the anime have the same voice actors and the disparity in quality is noticeable. The same people recorded sometimes identical lines but the game sounds much more energetic and… for a lack of a better word "acted". I basically never complain about Japanese voice acting in anime but most of the shows sound monotonous at best, with most other audio aspects not being fit to air half half the time. I have watched anime since the early 90s and i can´t name a TV anime that was harder to listen to for most of the run. Berserk 2016-17 is truly the 2nd coming of Musashi Gundoh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wondername

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this was an interesting read.

I lol'd at the "An Unrealistic Proposal" part as it seems like the typical fate of 90% cutting edge projects. There's always some ambitious guy in upper management with a clever idea who has no idea of the sheer amount of time, money, ground work and organization needed to realize it. I guess part of me wasn't expecting anime and other creative industries to work the same as any company... but yeah, I was just ignoring the obvious.

I feel bad about Berserk as it didn't deserve this, but I hope it stays a lesson for similar future projects.
Shinzai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
So, is there a CG TV Anime that worked?

Etotama is probably the most impressive use of CG in a serialized anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjr3a9_WlPU

It's got genuinely well animated, well directed and surprisingly inventive fight scenes. Also it's high FPS stuff, none of the usual stuttering of CG trying to emulate anime's normal animation frame rate.

It's goofy as hell and not to all tastes, but it's /the/ example of how to use CG for an anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJSNjID7pJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJSNjID7pJ0
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
When the revival series started, I was more interested in finding out what happened than in the look of the series. Although I had wished it was more like the original anime. The CG came across as too obvious. And while I have no problem with censorship, the lack of nipples can be more disturbing than the sight of them.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
Not only were the highly detailed character models too much strain on the viewport in their 3DSMax software, the staff had difficulties getting these models to render at all. Without the time to find a new solution, the staff were forced to simplify these models that were originally meant to replicate as much detail from the manga as possible. The removal of lines and edges meant that their designs could now be practically animated with the hardware at GEMBA, but they also deviated greatly from their original plans for the look of the show.

This is entertaining! I've certainly made my own ridiculously high-poly models in Blender and had the viewport grind to a halt, even with a pretty high-end CPU / graphics card and a ton of RAM. Entertaining to hear a studio ran into this kind of problem consistently enough to comment on it; it's surprising that a professional studio would have such a poor understanding of the limits of their hardware for 3D viewing and rendering.

I wish we could see some still renders of the complex models that they ultimately simplified; presumably they still have those more ornate models lying around. Would be curious to see what Itagaki "wanted" the models to look like.

As an aside, it would be nice to know in an article like this one where Callum/ANN got his information. Interviews with the production studio staff? Re-summarizing previously published explanations?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
You know it's not good when someone makes a "what happened?" article about your anime. They should just remake it all in traditional animation and follow the manga properly. I'd rather have it in OVAs like they did Hellsing Ultimate, really.
Souther

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

As an aside, it would be nice to know in an article like this one where Callum/ANN got his information. Interviews with the production studio staff? Re-summarizing previously published explanations?

Should've been made a bit clearer, but the information came from the Janurary 2017 issue of CG World (link to its Amazon page in the article), Morrisey translated it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
Oh, I see - thanks. I saw the CGWorld reference mentioned at the end of the article but didn't realize that was the source for the entire article.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Berserk can be done good in both CG or 2D. All it would take is the proper amount of money and time. But with limited money and/or resources, it is going to take a toll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4