• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are So Many Anime's English Titles Total Nonsense?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
In case no one mentioned that yet: "Bleach" is not totally random - It's named after the first Nirvana album. Kubo is a great fan of western music, especially Nirvana and at the early chapters he put more Nirvana references in his work - like for example Don Kanonji's signature sentence "Smells like bad spirit".
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Makes me feel bad for the Japanese VAs having to deal with this

Don't; they're working from a script with the names in katakana.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
Blue Gender the mutations were called the Blue and it was people/animals mutating and evolving into a different species with a different form of reproduction... so you can kinda see where they were going with Gender but I cant think of a direct English word that fits, the technical term in evolution is 'Speciation' but that sounds very stuffy, they could have used 'Race' or 'Mutant' maybe?

They should've called it Blue Genes. Wink

I'll just show myself out...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I just googled it your name, it is unlikely that I am going to remember a username someone used in a show that showed up for only a few seconds.

But, but...you remembered Marshal Banana. oO It wasn't up any longer than Gina was (ok, maybe half a second longer, since Ed types slower than Ein can think), in the same episode! Smile
I saw both, but I used this one, and forgot about the other one. I was using this for a long time before I got an ANN account. Not to downplay, but I think Marshal Banana is more memorable than Gina Szanboti, or at least easier to remember.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:45 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I've wondered what I My Me! Strawberry Eggs is supposed to mean. It's kinda fun to say out loud though.

Aimai means ambiguous in Japanese, so the front bit is Japanese and English making a double-layer pun.

Heishi wrote:
"Strawberry Panic". Who the hell is panicking over strawberries?
"Plastic Memories". How are memories made from plastic?

IIRC the strawberries in Strawberry Panic were on a girl's panties, and the protag saw those strawberries, hence the panic. (I steer as clear away from ecchi as possible, so I don't even know how I know that...)

I dropped Plastic Memories at about ep 3, but my interpretation of the title (from the theme of "the fleetingness of life") is your memories of someone you cherish should be like plastic and stick around for a real long time.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
This season has some good alphabet soup character names too courtesy of WorldEnd: Elq Hrqstn, Chtholly, Nygglatho...

Katakana and the Japanese pronunciation says Chtholly's name is pronounced "Kutori", so I always referred to her with that spelling (but it means when I read "Chtholly" and people use the correct spelling, I read it as "chi-hot-a-ree"). I call Nygglatho "troll girl", though.

The Symphogear thing about "hold[ing] determination to fist" always makes me laugh, but my favourite is probably Subete ga F ni Naru, also known as The Perfect Insider. Subete ga F ni Naru translates to "everything becomes F", but why is everything becoming F? What even is "F"? Who/what is the Perfect Insider? It's confusing no matter how you slice it, and that suits a mystery series.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
As a native Spanish speaker: G no Reconguista. Surprised
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Riddle Story of Devil. Why couldn't they just call the show "The Devil's Riddle?"
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
In case no one mentioned that yet: "Bleach" is not totally random - It's named after the first Nirvana album. Kubo is a great fan of western music, especially Nirvana and at the early chapters he put more Nirvana references in his work - like for example Don Kanonji's signature sentence "Smells like bad spirit".

You could probably write a whole book on English naming in Japanese media just from Bleach's chapter titles, which often have next to nothing to do with the content of the story but do sound like the titles of songs or albums (though not necessarily ones that really exist.)

I remember how for years, fans speculated as to what the name Bleach meant. A popular theory was that it would be the name of either the series' true villain, or Ichigo's ultimate sword form. Neither proved true, of course.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I see no one yet mentioned Chrno Crusade, official Japanese romanisation for what ADV later changed to Chrono Crusade. Still, the original spelling stayed for airing on Czech Animax, for some weird reason. Even this weird tittle, however, doesn't change the fact that in the end, it was the best Czech Animax dub made, at least in my opinion. But I digress here.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
.hack// is a classic unusual title. I think it's meant to emulate an internet TLD.

Yeah, I think it's supposed to be like a programming thing. The entire franchise is named like that.

It also references what are known as "hidden files" in Unix and its offspring like Linux and BSD. Files that begin with a period are not typically displayed in directory listings without extra effort. Perhaps it's a hint that the .Hack world is also somewhat hidden from view. (I've only played a little bit of one of the games, so this is just guesswork on my part.)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
lostbirdinatree wrote:
IIRC the strawberries in Strawberry Panic were on a girl's panties, and the protag saw those strawberries, hence the panic. (I steer as clear away from ecchi as possible, so I don't even know how I know that...)

I'm 90% sure that never happens in either the light novels, the manga, or the anime (I haven't read the original serialized short stories, but since they took the form of letters being sent back home to the girls' older brothers, I doubt they would have contained stuff like "today I saw my roommate's panties").

Also, it's not really what you'd call an "ecchi" show... sure, the girls occasionally get naked and fool around with each other, but there are also 10-episode long stretches without so much as a panty shot. It's more "conceptually erotic" (girls making out while sitting at the bottom of a swimming pool) than anything.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
lostbirdinatree wrote:

I'm 90% sure that never happens in either the light novels, the manga, or the anime (I haven't read the original serialized short stories, but since they took the form of letters being sent back home to the girls' older brothers, I doubt they would have contained stuff like "today I saw my roommate's panties").

I'm guessing lostbirdinatree probably got Strawberry Panic and Strawberry 100% mixed up because Strawberry 100% (Ichigo 100%) pretty much starts off with the main character seeing one of the girl's strawberry panties and then spends the show trying to find out who that "mysterious" girl is.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
I see no one yet mentioned Chrno Crusade, official Japanese romanisation for what ADV later changed to Chrono Crusade. Still, the original spelling stayed for airing on Czech Animax, for some weird reason. Even this weird tittle, however, doesn't change the fact that in the end, it was the best Czech Animax dub made, at least in my opinion. But I digress here.

IIRC (and that's a very big IF) the title that that was originally intended to be used was Chrono Crusade, but the production committee was unable to use that name in Japan because of a copyright issue -- an issue that does not exist in the U.S., hence Viz Media being able to use it in the U.S.

Take the above with a grain of salt, because I am not certain that that I am recalling everything correctly.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
As long as it's cool and memorable it doesn't matter what it's called.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern, I would support a Kickstarter for such a book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8