• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Lascivious Master Roshi Suspected Target in Latest BPO Published Complaint

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Another reason why the BPO should be abolished.

It's much better that someone whinges to a body like BPO rather than kick up a fuss in the media. All they are doing is publishing the complaints. They are not the ones making them.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:

He already conquered it, it's over.

Sure, if he says so. Mmm hmm...we'll see what happens at the tournament. Wink
MajinAkuma wrote:
That's been part of his character since 34 years. 32, if you don't count the manga. Muten Roshi and Happosai are notorious for this, and the people in the 80s found that funny.

If the complainers are complaing now, did they miss how he was portrayed in the last 32 years and they finally realize it now?!

No, not everyone found it funny. I know I've been complaining about "pervy old men peak at/molest girl" and "overly aggressive tsundere beats up guy" since I became an otaku circa 2005, and noticed other people complaining about those overused, lazy tropes, too. But complainers were always told to stop complaining because we were spoilsports who took things too seriously and ruined everyone else's fun by voicing our opinion that cheap laughs from assault gags can be uncomfortable to watch.
Frankly, I'm glad someone came to the realization that this trope isn't as funny as they thought it was--not the worthless BPO, but Dragon Ball Super, if Roshi really does change after this arc (there are ways to play perviness for laughs without him actually assaulting women, if they think that's too much of an important part of his character to drop altogether).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
That's been part of his character since 34 years. 32, if you don't count the manga. Muten Roshi and Happosai are notorious for this, and the people in the 80s found that funny.

If the complainers are complaing now, did they miss how he was portrayed in the last 32 years and they finally realize it now?!

I somehow doubt the complainant was watching it with a "child" in their 30s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of two minded on this.
Like, I personally don't like Roshi's antics so, while I haven't seen this episode & don't know how bad it is, I can understand why the parent is upset.
But also like, Roshi has been acting this way for decades. I mean, his first introduction was being a perv and asking to peek at Bulma.
The whole dragon ball/etc series is pretty perverted. I think it got toned down for Z but Roshi still exists so it would never die out.....
Personally I'd like to see less of the whole perverted old man trope, but it IS a big trope in anime.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Master Rōshi's history of perverseness has finally taken its toll. Twisted Evil He probably won't see anymore airtime after this...at least during the daytime.

I don't know when the show airs in Japan, but DBS airs after 8 PM on Saturday nights in America. It should be fine.

Worst case scenario, the 11:30 airing once again becomes a premiere, which should help Toonami's flagging ratings, so I can't believe I'm saying this, but GO Butt Pirates' Organization!!
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Toriyama should do a kickstarter to make the Super arcs into animated movies like Battle of Gods and Resurrection F were. They were both better as films and were allowed to go further with their content. Seriously, Freeza isn't even allowed to kill anyone anymore!?
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Toriyama should do a kickstarter to make the Super arcs into animated movies like Battle of Gods and Resurrection F were. They were both better as films and were allowed to go further with their content. Seriously, Freeza isn't even allowed to kill anyone anymore!?

Uh, that's just a tournament rule. Freeza did start killing people in the last episode, as he's not there yet.

And unlike in the Battle of Gods movie, in the tv series arc Beerus was seen killing people. Freeza was more violent in the tv version of his movie, too, so i don't get your point?
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Lmao roshi is always stirring up trouble
Adv193

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Well at least even in Japan, they never go ''too far'' in humor like this since it is still kept at a reasonable but not too disturbing level which is how it is with regular anime. Still at least those scenes with Roshi are more about basic humor which is also the same of similar characters in other anime and manga which I have seen throughout my life. This humor is mainly just minor indirect sex-based humor at best, nothing too direct on the subject.

Even as my Google Chrome translates the original article, which I read abit, it also makes me think of how much censorship for anime and manga has changed compared to when the original Dragon Ball series first aired. After all, whether it is Japan or the US, censorship does change over time.

Besides Roshi has done this type of humor to practically every female character even before Dragon Ball Super debuted (Bulma, Lunch, Chi-Chi, Android 18, and Videl).
Marimo0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
I'm pretty sure Master Roshi has been a pervert from the very beginning. Not sure why this incident would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

MajinAkuma wrote:

You guys realize that standards change? And Roshi's pervertedness hasn't had any notable focus focus since the 80s before Z and GT gave him a lot less screentime and there wasn't and new Dragon Ball show until Super.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
You guys realize that standards change? And Roshi's pervertedness hasn't had any notable focus focus since the 80s before Z and GT gave him a lot less screentime and there wasn't and new Dragon Ball show until Super.

I do remember how in DBZ Roshi grabbed with his hand #18 breast! in front of her daughter!! Of course Roshi received his just desserts, but I would say that "less screentime" is not the same as "he has softened over the years". Can't comment about GT since I have no interest on it.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I am a huge supporter of freedom of speech but on a personal level I am disgusted when molestation is used for comedy especially when it is done in a kids show.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Master Roshi's schtick has been seen on Japanese television for 31 years. This complaint implies to me the parent somehow didn't watch Dragon Ball growing up, which is much more offensive than any little brief ecchi scene.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I can sort of see both sides of the argument, though I personally fall into the side that this is kind of a stupid complaint. As others have said, it is of course uncomfortable to use molestation and sexual assault as the premise for a gag, however, we're talking about a character who's been doing this for nearly 35 years now. To suddenly start complaining and hamfistedly change that fact now would only add to Super's growing storytelling woes to many fans. The only way this kind of thing will die out is when the trope stops being used. People have mentioned that attitudes change over time, and I think that's very clear when you contrast anime/manga from the 80's & 90's to today. The pervy old man trope rarely if ever appears in a series from after 2000, at least by my knowledge. Naruto's Jiraiya is the only one who comes immediately to mind, and even then, such a trait was really only so present during the early parts of his character arc. Come Part 2, he was far more fleshed out and became more than a sex joke.

Additionally, Roshi's pervertedness has never been portrayed as a positive trait, and is specifically framed to be immoral or wrong. He almost always gets some kind of comeuppance from the female cast or karma of some sort. At the very least, I don't think there's any danger of children seeing Roshi's antics and recognising them as anything but a bad thing to do.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I am a huge supporter of freedom of speech but on a personal level I am disgusted when molestation is used for comedy especially when it is done in a kids show.

You do realize you essentially described a lot of harem titles where klutzy lead guy is the "accidental" molester?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3