• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Colors In Blu-ray Re-Releases Of Classic Anime Look Different?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Quote:
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "CORRECT."

If only everyone would realize that this applies to anything that is even somewhat subjective. Far too often people go off the handle and start screaming at everyone else because their opinion does not match who they are talking to. Many people find it so hard to acknowledge that different opinions are a thing and just attack.

When you're passionate about something, it becomes a part of yourself, so someone with an opinion of it that differs from your own will be interpreted as an attack on yourself. Some people are on the "fight" end of the fight-or-flight continuum (though there are other reactions too) , and that's where you get those angry responses from.

Of course, asserting an opinion is a "fact" or that there is a correct way to do things is sometimes a troll tactic used to demoralize their targets by creating a bandwagon (whether real or perceived), the idea being that you, for disagreeing with them, are in such a small minority that you cannot win.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I'll think about this the next time I spend half an hour trying to get the color balance on my television "just right".

I typically have the color settings on my TVs adjusted so the images are pretty bright and vivid, as that's how I like them. When I'm recording game footage to upload onto YouTube, I adjust the recording programs' settings to match what I see on my TV. It confused me for a while about why some people were complaining about the vivid colors until I realized some of them have the contrast and saturation turned way down.

Well, I also guess some of them are also used to the gritty brown video games.

Kougeru wrote:
That statement is outright false, though. There is a such thing as "CORRECT". "CORRECT" is what the original artists decide is "CORRECT". Does it look bad to you? Maybe. But if that's how the person that created it wants it, then it's correct.

If you cannot contact them, they give non-answers, or they don't understand color editing enough to give a satisfactory answer, then the interpretation is then up to whoever's doing the color editing. I'd bet this is what happens most of the time.

But the original point of the statement is that there is never one concrete, easily explained answer. Even those original artists' opinions can change over time.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Still, I want to believe that the people remastering old anime have a general consensus of what can be accepted as quality visuals. If the people who remastered Cowboy Bebop remembered watching the show in horrible quality in a VHS tape and decided that the remaster version should look similar to that, everyone else should have been mad about it.

What used to amuse me about [adult swim]'s many many replays of Bebop is that their original broadcast tapes seemed to have darkened over the years. I can remember certain scenes in the finale "The Real Folk Blues" that wound up looking like the animation equivalent of filming in a coal mine at midnight. Very Happy

Along this same topic, one of the things that's always confused me about animation fans is how many have this visceral gut-reaction hatred of DNR processes. Now I fully understand that it's a technique that can utterly butcher fine background details if done improperly, but at the same time I don't understand the huge love affair so many people have with visible film grain. If it's a matter of "keeping it like it was meant to be seen," then grain is actually an obstacle, because the original animation materials wouldn't have had it in the first place! Unlike live-action film, where the only record of a performance is the recording made of it, animation has actual physical (digital now) materials of everything that you're seeing on-screen. If you go back and look at existing cels, you're seeing the original artwork clear as day, with no grain overlaid on top of it. Given the choice, in an ideal world, that's how I'd like to experience animation.
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the closest equivalent to "correct" that anyone involved in a remaster should be concerned with is "what color timing am I least likely to get lynched by the customers over?"
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

What used to amuse me about [adult swim]'s many many replays of Bebop is that their original broadcast tapes seemed to have darkened over the years. I can remember certain scenes in the finale "The Real Folk Blues" that wound up looking like the animation equivalent of filming in a coal mine at midnight. Very Happy
Not to nitpick, but I believe the darkening in that episode was intentional by the network.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Along this same topic, one of the things that's always confused me about animation fans is how many have this visceral gut-reaction hatred of DNR processes.

I can only speak for myself, but it's not at all that I "hate" DNR, but that I would prefer film grain to poor or hastily done DNR. Maybe it's just because I grew up in the analog age, but it was so normal to see grain on film for so long that unless the film is really beat up, I barely notice it. On the other hand, I like to watch my anime with bright and vivid colors, (and it doesn't sound like I'm alone at all!) So bad DNR can look very bad on dark colors especially. There are scenes with black backgrounds in the new Card Captor Sakura blu-rays that (Sorry Justin, if this was you and not the original Japanese masters) look like someone just smeared them around with the smudge tool and called it good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zarzam

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
One of the problems was that color-corrected computer monitors were very difficult to find and crazy expensive, and a 'good' gamut in a standard monitor would look like hell in a TV, even in the CRT days. LCDs were even worse.
I remember occasionaly seeing color calibration patterns in the leading frames of negative reels, but these were technical films. I guess entertainment guys didn't care as much.
zarzam

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Halko"]
Quote:
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "CORRECT."

That doesn't mean that some releases can't have major screw-ups ...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Along this same topic, one of the things that's always confused me about animation fans is how many have this visceral gut-reaction hatred of DNR processes. Now I fully understand that it's a technique that can utterly butcher fine background details if done improperly, but at the same time I don't understand the huge love affair so many people have with visible film grain. If it's a matter of "keeping it like it was meant to be seen," then grain is actually an obstacle, because the original animation materials wouldn't have had it in the first place! Unlike live-action film, where the only record of a performance is the recording made of it, animation has actual physical (digital now) materials of everything that you're seeing on-screen. If you go back and look at existing cels, you're seeing the original artwork clear as day, with no grain overlaid on top of it. Given the choice, in an ideal world, that's how I'd like to experience animation.

Most animation fans grew up at a time when cel animation was dominant, and the grain seen in movies and TV was what they grew up with. CGI was when animation could be truly grain-free, but when Pixar test-screened Toy Story, people were visibly bugged by the lack of it--a result is that every Pixar film, to this day, has a small amount of artificial grain, not enough to notice if you're not actively looking for it, but something they spent time and effort putting in.

In other words, there is something, no pun intended, ingrained into audiences about film grain, something that seems to calm them and puts them at ease.I'm not entirely sure why besides that grain is something they grew up with.

As for the people who know it's there and want it, that can be attributed to a general disdain among animation fans for digital editing of cel animation. There have been many clumsy attempts to digitally restore old animation, particularly by technicians who aren't artists, that have resulted in weird blocky colors and greatly reduced background detail. There is also the idea that cel animation should be left as untouched as possible, with the more hardcore fans saying it should also be unrestored, the idea being that the touch-up team can't possibly know what the original creators intended and would rather have bad-quality film than one modified by outsiders. Bear in mind that your hardcore animation fans are not watching these so much for the stories or immersion as they are for the animation. They want to see each individual frames' animator thumbprint and tiny little nuances in the characters' movements that can get lost when digitally restored. (Consider that for many animation fans, their favorite live-action movies are slapstick films like those of Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, and The Three Stooges. Why? Because these movies were all about the characters' movements, with lower priority to the story or realism.)

Even if the original cels and background were kept in pristine condition and available for a digital reshooting, it won't be the same as how the original team did it. Cel placement will be different, the photography will be different, the timing will be different, and the lighting will be different. But it's an ideal scenario to have all of the materials available and rarely is it even possible, as cels have been degraded, destroyed, lost, or sold, as have backgrounds. If your materials are incomplete or in an unusably poor condition, a complete do-over is out of the question.

And some animation fans just like the really old, worn look that old animation has.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
This topic seems perfect for the upcoming Fruits Basket Blu-ray release. Smile
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
This was really obvious with the original Halloween. When they first released it on Blu-ray in 2006, it had a heavy orange-pushed color-timing, which made the movie look more like Fall (it was actually shot in the Spring). They did a new scan in 2013 supervised by the original cinematographer with more lifelike colors. The fans still can't agree which was better. They had to include both versions in the Complete Series boxset.

Dragon Ball Z also has variations in its color-timing. FUNi REALLY saturated the colors for its 2007 remastering, but the Dragon Box edition has a strong green tint, and FUNi's aborted "Level" Blu-ray sets had very dark colors.

pinoyfreestyler wrote:

At least that was animated digitally, and shouldn't have this problem.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
pinoyfreestyler wrote:

At least that was animated digitally, and shouldn't have this problem.

...which will bring a whole host of other problems once it is to be transferred to Blu-ray, being from the early digi-era. Sometimes you just can't win...
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
...which will bring a whole host of other problems once it is to be transferred to Blu-ray, being from the early digi-era. Sometimes you just can't win...

Yup. Being early digital is actually in a number of ways worse than being cels shot on film. Things might be more consistent, but odds are it wasn't produced at a very high resolution; if we're really unlucky they used resolutions at or marginally above 480p for working files and no masters above broadcast SD were ever made. If we're really lucky they might have been forward-thinking enough to have used higher working resolutions across the board and made high resolution (for the time; likely still below 720p) masters.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:14 am Reply with quote
Just how dangerous can this be? With American classic movies and shorts getting these digital restorations, it can be hard to tell which is an unchanged original version (nothing is changed beyond adding the film to the disc). As such, each derivative version has a new copyright. Thus, not being able to tell which is the original, even if the original has fallen out of copyright, companies have effectively given the film a perpetual copyright. Even Berne Convention minimum of life+50 also falls under this. News flash: perpetual copyright is against the Constitution.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Colours can be serious business. I thought it was in Tales of the Industry but can't find it... there was a tale of a distributor having trouble working out what specific shade a character should be when they were making a pack-in toy version for their DVDs, which ultimately ended up in the license being torpedoed half way through releasing it.

FLCLGainax wrote:
Back in the analog days, Japanese NTSC used a different black level from American NTSC. Engineers in Japan tweaked the IRE level to mimic that of Europe's PAL standard. That's why imported VHS tapes from Japan could look slightly dark on American setups.

It doesn't seem to affect imported digital media (DVDs) as much. However, sometimes a Blu-ray release of the same movie can have the brightness settings turned way up by the American distributor or adjusted totally differently by a Japanese distributor.

Justin has covered this a few times, e.g.
Quote:
Black levels are also nowhere near as set in stone as fans seem to think they are -- Japanese NTSC spec puts it at 10 IRE higher than North American equipment, but in HD some masters follow that spec and some don't. Sometimes American gear is used by Japanese companies, adding effects that hit American black levels while the rest of the show has Japanese black levels. I can't tell you how much pain and headache that causes US distros.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Just how dangerous can this be? With American classic movies and shorts getting these digital restorations, it can be hard to tell which is an unchanged original version (nothing is changed beyond adding the film to the disc). As such, each derivative version has a new copyright. Thus, not being able to tell which is the original, even if the original has fallen out of copyright, companies have effectively given the film a perpetual copyright. Even Berne Convention minimum of life+50 also falls under this. News flash: perpetual copyright is against the Constitution.

Well, what it sounds like right now is a loophole--the thing is that Hollywood is very, very good at lobbying for what they want and fighting to get rid of laws that'd be inconvenient to them. The public domain is their worst enemy, after all. Disney, in particular, is the fiercest fighter in terms of copyright, due to Walt Disney's death getting further and further into the past and their need to extend copyright lengths to prevent his stuff from falling into the public domain.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Colours can be serious business. I thought it was in Tales of the Industry but can't find it... there was a tale of a distributor having trouble working out what specific shade a character should be when they were making a pack-in toy version for their DVDs, which ultimately ended up in the license being torpedoed half way through releasing it.

I'm actually pretty impressed the people in that toy company assigned to the license care enough about getting the colors precise enough to go through that much trouble asking. Was it for a collectors edition meant for the core fans? That paragraph made it sound like it's a Happy Meal-esque tie-in product aimed at little kids, and accuracy is not really that high a priority in those cases--only recognizability (and sometimes not even that).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3