• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Are Those Flavored Breads In Japanese School Lunches?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
So, as long as everyone else is mentioning their anime associations, guess I'm the only one who remembers Osaka explaining the strategic differences between melon-pan and curry-pan, as she trains for the sports-day race in Azumanga Daioh?
All my other knowledge of flavored-pan pretty much came from the Ranma 1/2 episode, which alone made me hungry enough to try curry-pan, sausage-pan or yakisoba-filled pan. ("Wait, there's no such thing as soup-pan, is there?") No Japan-towns in our east-coast city, though. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Here's a few common ones that appear in anime:

Also add to the sweet-carb list French Crepes, thin pancakes rolled up into takeout cones with cream/strawberry filling, etc., which seem to be popular with schoolgirls at snack stands.
Very likely for the "foreign" thrill of having something clearly European enough to be sweet, decadent and French.
(We used to have a dinner-crepe restaurant chain in our area that served crepes rolled up with chicken, mushrooms, spinach, etc., and covered with sauce, and a few of the sweet ones for dessert. Never found anything as good again.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anpan - The standard dough with sweet red (azuki) bean paste filling. A favorite of Usagi from Sailor Moon (and infamously turned into a "donut" in the old DiC dub).

If I remember correctly, a lot of the buns DiC translated as "donuts" were actually nikuman (steamed meat buns, usually pork), although I'm not saying that there weren't also instances of anpan also being translated into being "donuts".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jtron

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
My wife works close to Pastry House Hippo near Chicago and sometimes brings me home curry pan <3
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
When I worked in Manhattan, there's this placed, Benton Cafe, where I used to eat Cheese Domes.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Quote:
Anpan - The standard dough with sweet red (azuki) bean paste filling. A favorite of Usagi from Sailor Moon (and infamously turned into a "donut" in the old DiC dub).

If I remember correctly, a lot of the buns DiC translated as "donuts" were actually nikuman (steamed meat buns, usually pork), although I'm not saying that there weren't also instances of anpan also being translated into being "donuts".

Wasn't it both? I think she was seen eating anpans which she shared with Rei in one episode.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah, I said some "donuts" were anpan, but not all of them were. The "donuts" she was eating when she ran into Mamoru in the earliest few episodes were nikuman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
When I was in high school a popular local Mexican restaurant sold some of their burritos at the school lunch vending carts, and the crowds for them were reminiscent of the anime bread rush. Laughing
There's a Japanese bakery near here that has a bread with sweet potato filling that's heavenly.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Weekend before last we got to try obanyaki... Oh dear lord it's a good thing they aren't available routinely or locally (the Big City is a special trip) or I'd be absolutely spherical.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Nagsura wrote:
Outside of melon pan (which I ate several times and tasted like a knock-off of a type of bread found in my country), I found most of Japanese bread to be either horrible - especially their white bread - or just very plain. Several people I met there who weren't Japanese and from all voer the world complained about it as well. It always felt that, unless you were Japanese and had grown up eating it, you'd find it to be several times worse than whatever you ate back in your own home country.

To each their own but I for one have never felt that way. I personally quite enjoy Japanese milk bread. Then again I have a more extensive culinary background and have worked in the industry so I naturally am more open to trying new things. I think a lot of people when visiting other countries tend to favor their own country's food and culture simply because it is what they are used to. That's home to them and the place they are visiting is not.
jutsuri

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I enthusiastically sampled different types of bread (and food in general) during my trip to Japan, and my favorite filled bread was cream pan. Pillowy, round buns filled with delicious custard. It is a very good thing I can't get those at home, or I would also become spherical.

Last edited by jutsuri on Mon May 01, 2017 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Quote:
Here's a few common ones that appear in anime:

Also add to the sweet-carb list French Crepes, thin pancakes rolled up into takeout cones with cream/strawberry filling, etc., which seem to be popular with schoolgirls at snack stands.
Very likely for the "foreign" thrill of having something clearly European enough to be sweet, decadent and French.
(We used to have a dinner-crepe restaurant chain in our area that served crepes rolled up with chicken, mushrooms, spinach, etc., and covered with sauce, and a few of the sweet ones for dessert. Never found anything as good again.)

Their crepes are delicious. Whenever I found a stall in Japan with crepes, I would stop and get one. They don't just have sweet ones, there are more filling ones as well. While they may lean towards school girls, there was always a good variety of people at the stalls when I was there. I know there is a crepe store in DC that does a pretty good job of replicating Japanese crepes. There probably is in the other major cities as well.

Yakisoba pan is also delicious. Completely bad for you but so good. I haven't been able to find good yakisoba in the states yet.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Quote:
I don't know how anybody stays skinny in that country.

it's a mix of food being veyr expensive and portions being very small.

a mexican friend tried melonpan in japan , he was pretty dissapointed;for any mexicans reading this melonpan is a concha.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Love going to Hamada-ya at Mitsuwa for bread and cakes.

I like how Asian bakeries offer cake by the slice.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I always thought that melon pan legitimately had melon associated with it. The more you know. I've never really tried Japanese cuisine, but a bunch of those sound delicious.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I had taiyaki back in Houston, but there's an Asian-style bakery about four blocks away from my office, and I really like their sun bread. It's breakfast on a round bun. But more than that, what I really like from this bakery, is the matcha roll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4