• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Death Note Film's Producer Responds to Whitewashing Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Ehh, people just need something to complain about. They see white actors, they complain. They see black actors, they complain. They see a normal cast, they complain that the story isn't faithful. This series is already a failure even before release because the "fans" hate it already.

CCTakato wrote:
I find it a bit unbelievable to me they couldn't find a single Asian American actor that didn't speak "perfect English."

They probably just didn't look the part. Appearance matters.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
#815349 wrote:
I really wish they would have just made this into an entirely new Death Note story, a spin-off of the original series....

If Death Note hasn't been adapted to western markets how then do you make a spin-off of what is essentially a non-existent work?

That's a bit of a close-minded look on the franchise and ignores how small the world is now as a whole, due to the internet and such. A large chunk of the people who would watch this movie would already be familiar with the series; it DOES exist already in western markets. But, something that Netflix could have easily done is license the Japanese live action movies and have them available on the site before the US movie comes out.

Last edited by pluvia33 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:

No, it's not. Japan doesn't steal anything from other countries, nor does it use them disrespectfully.

Please don't make me dig up those photos of a Japanese variety show cast in blackface. I'd rather not. But it happens, and "disrespectful" is the nicest term for it...
leafy sea dragon wrote:

However, I feel he should not have responded. I know he's not used to responding to such a group, but frankly, those words of his will become fuel for more rage. There is nothing he can possibly say that will calm them down short of "I am cancelling production on this movie." I say he should keep quiet, focus on the movie, and let the movie's success or failure speak for itself.

I also think he should have kept his mouth shut until after the movie premiered. Then, he should respond carefully based on its critical and popular reception. If it bombed based on its own merits as a film (or lack thereof), don't say anything at all and be glad Netflix already paid you. If it does well, play up how great this opportunity has been for the actors, especially the actors playing L and Watari. Making a statement like this before the film's debut is shortsighted and counter productive. It just sounds defensive and dismissive to the critics.
Primus wrote:
I would've just called every complainer anti-semitic. Laughing

Uh...I don't think Light's character is supposed to be Jewish. Now if they make an Israeli version, that would be interesting! (And way too hot-button. Let's not go there!)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
A large chunk of the people who would watch this movie would already be familiar with the series;

But these people aren't necessarily the audience for whom this adaptation was commissioned for. You would still have an audience who've never watched or read any version of the series who effectively would not understand any of the continuity of this proposed spin-off.

pluvia33 wrote:
it DOES exist already in western markets.

As a manga/anime series that's falls into something of a niche medium. Unless we're specifically talking about the Netflix work which of course hasn't premiered yet.

pluvia33 wrote:
But, something that Netflix could have easily done is license the Japanese live action movies and have them available on the site before the US movie comes out.

....And would've only realistically been watched by the people "already" familiar with either the anime or the manga. And who likely already saw those movies anyway.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the complaints about this movie being called "white washing" are completely idiotic especially when you take into account other American adaptations of Japanese properties such as Godzilla 1998 and 2014, Edge of Tomorrow, The Ring etc. Rolling Eyes
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
That's a bit of a close-minded look on the franchise and ignores how small the world is now as a whole, due to the internet and such. A large chunk of the people who would watch this movie would already be familiar with the series; it DOES exist already in western markets. But, something that Netflix could have easily done is license the Japanese live action movies and have them available on the site before the US movie comes out.

I'm disappointed by how Viz seems to completely not care about the newer Japanese live action Death Note productions. I don't hold any of the prior live action films in high regard and didn't really like what I've seen of the TV drama, but still. Even Australia got the fourth movie last year. With this movie coming out relatively soon, you'd think they'd jump at the chance to get as much DN material out there as possible.

Part of me wonders if they just don't want any blowback for not getting Ocean to dub them and are waiting until people no longer care.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
If Death Note hasn't been adapted to western markets how then do you make a spin-off of what is essentially a non-existent work?

Basically what you're suggesting would be like if they made a spin-off series for Gundam set in the UC for the west but without ever having adapted at the very least the original series.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...

FWIW, I don't think it would be that difficult to write a largely standalone Death Note story about a new set of characters in the west. There's not a lot of baggage you need to get through. Supernatural entity drops notebook that gives you the ability to kill people. You could make vague references to things that happened in Japan. The obvious cat and mouse plot has been told lots of times, but I think it's a hook that could lend itself to other stories.

Agent355 wrote:
Uh...I don't think Light's character is supposed to be Jewish. Now if they make an Israeli version, that would be interesting! (And way too hot-button. Let's not go there!)

That's just me shitposting about how if you're going to play the identity politics game, maybe you shouldn't say a Jewish person is white because there are a lot of Jewish people who'd take offense at that.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Ayy dios mio again with the whitewashing nonsense. All I care about is whether the film will be good or not. The louts throwing a fit over this need to understand what the word "adaptation" means and see how the film progresses, then scrutinize what they see from the trailers and the film. I get why some would complain over improper casting, for the sake of the accuracy casting someone of the appropriate race is a necessity depending on the context of the story. However, the staff of this film are changing things around and made it so that it takes place in the U.S and not at Japan. Many film creators have done that in the past so this should be no exception.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
pluvia33 wrote:
A large chunk of the people who would watch this movie would already be familiar with the series;

But these people aren't necessarily the audience for whom this adaptation was commissioned for. You would still have an audience who've never watched or read any version of the series who effectively would not understand any of the continuity of this proposed spin-off.

Something that I felt would go without saying, but apparently it does need saying: A well-made spin-off can stand on its own without need to be fully familiar with the original. Death Note is a rather simple concept that can be re-explained in this version. The references to the Japanese Kira events would just work to make the world feel more real and full and make those who have have not watched any of the old version interested in seeing, at the least, the Japanese live action movies.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
pluvia33 wrote:
it DOES exist already in western markets.

As a manga/anime series that's falls into something of a niche medium. Unless we're specifically talking about the Netflix work which of course hasn't premiered yet.

It may be a niche medium, but Death Note is easily one of the most well known non-shounen-adventure anime in the last ten years.

Primus wrote:
I'm disappointed by how Viz seems to completely not care about the newer Japanese live action Death Note productions.

I'd speculate that the live action movies may have issues with a smooth release in the US due to it having connections to Warner Bros. in Japan and maybe the US division causing some snags. Totally wild speculation, though.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I mean, has this been a controversy? Sometimes people exaggerate how much the outrage is. Like I saw more complaining about L being black than Light being white.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
The real reason to complain is they missed the opportunity to cast Zac Efron as Light and Samuel L Jackson as L.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
meh if I had netflix I'd give it a shot but since I don't I won't wast the time, energy, and effort in getting irked
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Zimmer wrote:
The real reason to complain is they missed the opportunity to cast Zac Efron as Light and Samuel L Jackson as L.

I think Efron's a little too old for this role now. A shame too, since I think he'd be able to do the role justice and certainly looks the part. My biggest complaint about Wolff (so far) is that he doesn't look like a pretty boy you'd least expect to become Kira. Like someone in this thread said, he kind of looks like someone who'd read Death Note. Laughing

pluvia33 wrote:
I'd speculate that the live action movies may have issues with a smooth release in the US due to it having connections to Warner Bros. in Japan and maybe the US division causing some snags. Totally wild speculation, though.

WB Japan was involved with the three prior Japanese Death Note films and Viz was able to get those out in the US pretty quickly. I'm sure WB operates in Australia and they got last year's movie.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
So apparently they tried to find an Asian actor. Is the race of the actor really more important to people than how well they fit / perform the role? Isn't there suppose to be a problem with using a person's race as the primary factor when making a decision?

Of course people are going to say that she is lying because how could it be that hard... well the actors themselves have to be available and interested, and I don't think the pool of Japanese actors with lead role experience is especially large.

explosionforgov wrote:
Borrowing references from American movies and music isn't the same as like, using Native American folklore and not doing the research, like J.K. Rowling did. I haven't read any manga where that ever happens.

You want to point to JK Rowling while ignoring all of the equally poorly researched usages of Christian folklore by Japan? Or are you one of those that doesn't believe it is possible to appropriate European culture?
Lenks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
No, it's not. Japan doesn't steal anything from other countries, nor does it use them disrespectfully.

https://youtu.be/_ldEz5h4RMU
Crzykido

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I feel that it would have been better to have an american setting vs using the Japanese charterers and "westernizing" them. IMO it would be more interesting to see how a new OC, who gets a death note in America and his/her style of use differs from Light. It would be great that they acknowledge the existence of death notes in Japan, and how s/he will use it differently. Also I would like to add for those who disagree with the casting of L, you have to realized that he is cast for L and not Ryuzaki. Anyone can take up the mantle of L, like how Near was to be the next "L".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9