• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Death Note Film's Producer Responds to Whitewashing Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MavenRaven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
So why was everyone outraged when the live action Akira was going to change the setting to New York and cast Kristen Stewart

Because Kristen Stewart?

As for Death Note, it would have been cool if Light was Asian, because Asian-American actors are hardly ever given a chance. Most of the actors involved in this production seem to be lesser-known anyways, and I'm not convinced Netflix actually tried that hard to find a semi-popular Asian-american actor.

However, this isn't a case of white-washing, and the term keeps getting more diluted. It's really sad, because Asian-Americans do need more representation, but most people seem to be indifferent or really aggressive on the matter (on both sides).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
It was a problem with Ghost in the Shell.

This is a non-issue.

Odd. I recall Ghost in the Shell having an actual Japanese actor speaking Japanese and requiring that the audience read English subtitles. Somehow I doubt that Death Note will have that. Will it even have any Japanese actors at all? Who knows.

I'm not really sure how it's a non issue. For one, the actual source of the Death Note is that a shinigami is in the human world and drops his Death Note. Why would a shinigami be in America? Is that shinigami going be be given a big robe and scythe and be called a grim reaper? Isn't there only one Grim Reaper in western lore, whereas a key factor in Death Note is the existence of multiple shinigami meaning multiple Death Notes?
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Digimonlover101 wrote:
So when Japan used asain actors for the live action black butler does that mean it's asain washing? I won't be watching the live action death note anyways since it seems to be different from the original and none of the actors look like the characters they're supposed to be.

Main difference is stuff like Black Butler and FMA are originally Japanese works made by Japanese people. Its not like that one Spider-Man toku where Peter Parker suddenly became an Asian guy with a robot.

Actually, the MAIN difference between what the US is doing with Death Note compared to what Japan did with Black Butler and all of their other non-Asian themed live action adaptations is that Japan doesn't have the same diversity as the US. They don't have a significant population of European-descendent actors who can speak perfect Japanese; probably next to zero, actually.

But as far as the US Death Note movie goes, I have these feelings every time the subject comes up: I really wish they would have just made this into an entirely new Death Note story, a spin-off of the original series, so they didn't have to carry over any of the Japanese and Light vs. L baggage. Pretty much Ryuk would have been the only character coming back from the original and dropped the Death Note on to some new kid in America and they'd even have some references to the original Kira from Japan. But whatever, I'll check this out eventually anyway for curiosity's sake.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Death Note is ultimately a (supernatural) crime thriller. These get foreign adaptions ALL the time.
The Korean Old Boy is based on a manga, the Oscar Winning The Departed adapted the Chinese Infernal Affairs and Reservoir Dogs takes cues from the ending to the Chinese City on Fire. All of these changed their cultural norms in a sensible way and i frankly don´t get what´s so special about Death Note that it needs a Tokyo setting. Make Seattle believable and i am game. The end.
Akira, GitS or Grave of the Fireflies are of course build differently but only a madmen would meddle with the setting there... sigh. Don´t f##k up Akira WB. I believe in you, maybe.

Megiddo GitS 2017 had a 32 year old Caucasian women play a Japanese teenager and it was very clear that the cast had zero interest to learn even one foreign line, as Motoko´s mother spoke fluent English all the time and all responses to the rather sleeps Beat Takeshi came back in English only. Lazy hacks...
A Grim Reaper is also a genderless and personality free concept. Note how wiki just calls it "Death":
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_(personification)

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
For one, the actual source of the Death Note is that a shinigami is in the human world and drops his Death Note. Why would a shinigami be in America? Is that shinigami going be be given a big robe and scythe and be called a grim reaper? Isn't there only one Grim Reaper in western lore, whereas a key factor in Death Note is the existence of multiple shinigami meaning multiple Death Notes?

Why wouldn't a shinigami be in America? It's literally just a god of death, and people die everywhere. It's not like it's some complicated concept that can only be understood if you're a scholar of Japanese literature. Heck, in the original manga Ryuk wrote the Death Note's instructions in English because he knew that it was the most commonly used language in the world.

pluvia33 wrote:
But as far as the US Death Note movie goes, I have these feelings every time the subject comes up: I really wish they would have just made this into an entirely new Death Note story, a spin-off of the original series, so they didn't have to carry over any of the Japanese and Light vs. L baggage. Pretty much Ryuk would have been the only character coming back from the original and dropped the Death Note on to some new kid in America and they'd even have some references to the original Kira from Japan. But whatever, I'll check this out eventually anyway for curiosity's sake.

I actually think this would've been a really cool approach, and kinda wish that they had taken this angle.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I find it a bit unbelievable to me they couldn't find a single Asian American actor that didn't speak "perfect English."

Let me clarify what they actually meant:
A single GOOD Asian actor that fits the part and speaks perfect English.

Last edited by Puniyo on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I always laugh when I see anime fans talking about whitewashing. If I want to see an all japanese cast I'll go watch the japanese version. I'm all for new adaptions and interpretations. Why would I want to watch and see exactly the same thing multiple times in different formats. If you want an all japanese characters portrayed by asians you got the original manga, anime, japanese live-action movies, and live-action tv drama. This is an american version that is new and different so why do you want it to be exactly the same as the others versions? I sure as hell don't and I am thoroughly looking forward to this release.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to tell why this """"""controversy"""""" affects the pacing, plot, story, characters, writing and directing that makes this adaptation, that you have not watched, bad in any way, shape or form.

Don't you think we should be worried more about that and how is gonna represent Death Note instead of the f******g casting for an adaptation that has an entirely different setting? Does it really matter?

It absolutely matters. Imagine not being white, and being told "No matter how talented you are, how good your chemistry is with the rest of the cast, or how well you fit the role, mainstream audiences will dismiss you on sight simply for looking different." Or "You're just not attractive enough to be a lead, audiences are only attracted to white men." Or being told that even if you're Asian-American, and have spent your entire life speaking mostly English and living in the States, that people will assume you aren't capable of pulling the role off, because they assume you only speak Chinese/Japanese/Korean/etc.

Cultural appropriation is also ABSOLUTELY a thing. If you're taking parts of someone's culture and using it without understanding how it's important, or what it means to that culture, it's disrespectful as all hell.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Not_Nitsugalego wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:

Isn't saying its not whitewashing because its a retelling in America mean its just, uh, cultural appropriation then? Taking another culture's idea and using it yourself, or whatever?

Well, the Japanese "culturally appropriated" American comic culture first.
So TAKE THAT, Japan?

spoiler[ Cultural appropriation is not a thing ]

Well, technically, there is, but it's historically been a lot more beneficial than harmful or disrespectful. Another culture gains something, and the original culture didn't lose anything. (If the original culture lost the thing the other culture gained, it'd be something other than appropriation.)

I mean, we Americans culturally appropriated pizza from the Italians mutated it into our own, for example. Then the rest of the world took our American pizza and made their own versions of it. And I don't think I can find anyone who'd consider American appropriation of pizza to be a bad thing. Well, maybe except some people in Italy who consider their pizza the true way, but American-style pizza is popular in even Italy.

Megiddo wrote:
I'm not really sure how it's a non issue. For one, the actual source of the Death Note is that a shinigami is in the human world and drops his Death Note. Why would a shinigami be in America? Is that shinigami going be be given a big robe and scythe and be called a grim reaper? Isn't there only one Grim Reaper in western lore, whereas a key factor in Death Note is the existence of multiple shinigami meaning multiple Death Notes?

From what I can recall, the Death Note rules Ryuk wrote down didn't even refer to himself or his comrades as "shinigami," but "death gods." Their system also doesn't correspond to any known mythology, meaning it is not Japanese, not American, or anything, but original to the story. Personally, this contributes to the universality of the premise.

residentgrigo wrote:
Death Note is ultimately a (supernatural) crime thriller. These get foreign adaptions ALL the time.
The Korean Old Boy is based on a manga, the Oscar Winning The Departed adapted the Chinese Infernal Affairs and Reservoir Dogs takes cues from the ending to the Chinese City on Fire. All of these changed their cultural norms in a sensible way and i frankly don´t get what´s so special about Death Note that it needs a Tokyo setting. Make Seattle believable and i am game. The end.
Akira, GitS or Grave of the Fireflies are of course build differently but only a madmen would meddle with the setting there... sigh. Don´t f##k up Akira WB. I believe in you, maybe.

Not to mention the most well-known example, the samurai story The Seven Samurai getting adapted into the western The Magnificent Seven.
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Masi Oka, another of the film's producers, previously defended the casting in an interview with Entertainment Weekly in November, though he said the staff was conscious of the issue. "Our casting directors did an extensive search to get Asian actors," he said, "But we couldn't find the right person, the actors we did go to didn't speak the perfect English… and the characters had been rewritten."

I call bullshit on this statement. There was an Asian actor named, Edward Zo, who was rejected for the role of Light and they told him they weren't looking Asian actors, plus his English was fine.
I'm totally fine with changing the races of characters since this is an American movie, but I don't accept people rejecting others or not even giving them a chance to audition based on race. That's not okay.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:
It was a problem with Ghost in the Shell.

This is a non-issue.

Odd. I recall Ghost in the Shell having an actual Japanese actor speaking Japanese and requiring that the audience read English subtitles. Somehow I doubt that Death Note will have that. Will it even have any Japanese actors at all? Who knows.

shinigami actually aren't an inherently Japanese concept. shinigami were actually based on western concepts like the grim reaper after Japan started having contact with the western world. there have been other mythical figures associated with death before that in Japan, but the shinigami is directly based on the grim reaper and other similar beings from European folklore.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
If this really is a case of Americanizing the story, then some of the changes they made do make sense.

Light being a white male kinda works because Light as a character is suppose to be from an affluent part of American society. He has access to wealth and power, and that makes him all the more scarier when he goes on his crusade for "justice". (Though right now Light looks like a emo kid who'd watch Death Note rather than star in it, but I'll hold back on judgement for now until I see it)

L in this version works because he's not suppose to seem like a genius detective; he looks like an outcast, a weirdo. This version of L (from the promotional stuff so far) looks like he fits the bill, but we won't know until there's more to see. All I can say is that themes such as race and class could be a big part of this adaptation...

Still, I'm more concerned with what's going to be changed within the story. While Death Note has a universal appeal, there are nuances in there that work more for a Japanese audience than an American one. What are we going to lose with this adaptation, and what will we gain? It's too early to tell right now.

You made some fantastic points here that I hadn't considered. It would be fascinating if this take on DN utilized the themes of race and class as you said.

Hoping for the best with this show. I'm wary but holding out hope as always!
NateRivers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
This is how to know full well the people writing for buzzfeed have never watched Death Note, or even know what it is outside of the very loose description of an anime that takes place in Japan. I watched the trailer and was frankly horrified beyond description, but because it looks like they took a slow mythodical show and turned it into an action movie. That said, it's entirely possible the trailer just sucked boiled eggs.

My point is this, if the worse thing you can think of to say about a movie trailer is supposed white washing, then you don't know shit about the trailer, or likely even watched it. If you see the words BUZZFEED, it's safe to assume it's got no informational value.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
PsychoPearl wrote:
Quote:
Masi Oka, another of the film's producers, previously defended the casting in an interview with Entertainment Weekly in November, though he said the staff was conscious of the issue. "Our casting directors did an extensive search to get Asian actors," he said, "But we couldn't find the right person, the actors we did go to didn't speak the perfect English… and the characters had been rewritten."

I call bullshit on this statement. There was an Asian actor named, Edward Zo, who was rejected for the role of Light and they told him they weren't looking Asian actors, plus his English was fine.
I'm totally fine with changing the races of characters since this is an American movie, but I don't accept people rejecting others or not even giving them a chance to audition based on race. That's not okay.

He's a sub-par actor with next to no previous acting credits, who cried 'racism' the second he got turned down. I mean, who even knew who he was before all this? So you can forgive me for being skeptical.

Plus, remember after they couldn't find asian actors, they then rewrote the characters. He could've been told that after the characters were rewritten.

explosionforgov wrote:

Cultural appropriation is also ABSOLUTELY a thing. If you're taking parts of someone's culture and using it without understanding how it's important, or what it means to that culture, it's disrespectful as all hell.

By your definition of cultural appropriation, Japan is the most disrespectful country on the planet.

Last edited by Puniyo on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
that in Japan, but the shinigami is directly based on the grim reaper and other similar beings from European folklore.

thanks, when I showed the first live action death note movie to non anime watching family members I just had to tell them ryu was like "la parca" and I needed to explain nothing.

kiminobokuwa wrote:
Quote:
Saying 'whitewashing' is also somewhat offensive... one of our three leads is African-American," Lee added, referencing Keith Stanfield's role as L.

This made me laugh for some reason.

https://media.makeameme.org/created/its-not-white-a9iwmu.jpg

catbot158 wrote:

Light being a white male kinda works because Light as a character is suppose to be from an affluent part of American society. He has access to wealth and power,

not really, what made you think that ? he's normal.

CCTakato wrote:
So why was everyone outraged when the live action Akira was going to change the setting to New York and cast Kristen Stewart as Kei but changing the setting for Death Note is apparently acceptable for anime fans?

becuase the usa does not has a history iof being hit by nukes, so that art of the backstory was pretty weird. tho, if they said that it was going to happen in los angeles and the akria incident was an earthquake it would make more sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9