• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'your name.' Anime Film Earns US$627,208 on Friday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope that's good!

I wonder if there's any chance of Funi extending the showing dates if it does really well? I can't see it at any of the times they're showing it where I am. I'll probably get it on DVD if I can't see it in theaters, but I was hoping to go with some friends.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
I hope that's good!

For an anime film in a couple of hundred theatres that is neither part of a popular franchise nor a Ghibli film, a ~$1.6 million opening weekend in North America is somewhere between "pretty good" and "outstanding".

I think if Funimation continues to run Your Name a few more weeks, there's an outside chance it can break $5 million total. It would probably need to expand a little wider or play in some venues that didn't screen it this weekend for that to happen, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
girlstudentA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
If the theater doesn't list dub/sub call the theater and ask. I feel like we have to educate the theaters that it matters to list things like this. And if you tell them they are losing business cu people don't want to risk seeing the wrong version we will get better handled releases in the future.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I saw a subbed screening at 2:00pm on Saturday. The theater wasn't very crowded, but someone who worked there said it was almost full on Friday. Thought the movie was good. Not as great as all the hype made it out to be, but still worth seeing.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Saw it dubbed in a theater today. The seats filled up pretty quickly. Everybody was surprisingly quiet and respectful of the movie. One of the best experiences I've had watching anime in a theater. Really good movie. The plot reminded me a little of Il Mare, a South Korean live-action film, only with facinating scenery and lighting effects in animation. Shinkai is a master of his craft. The dubbing was top-notch too.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I saw this today (dubbed), and it had a pretty good crowd. Probably 50 people. It was a respectful crowd too that clearly enjoyed what they were watching. The film itself is excellent, and it's probably my favorite movie I've seen this year. The dub was excellent too, and props to anyone who worked on it.

I also work at a movie theater showing this (trying to convince them to let me keep the poster), and this has been doing okay, but it depends almost entirely on the showtime. The earlier and late showtimes are usually pretty dead (less than 10 people), but the 1pm, 4pm, and 7pm shows all did well throughout the weekend. Some people are seeing this more than once. I know of a few that went out of their ways to see it dubbed AND subbed. Again, the attendance seems more influenced by the showtime than the language. I noticed this with Fathom's Ghibli reissues too. It's a bit confusing. You wouldn't know what language was playing unless you checked each showtime on Fandango.

Also, PLEASE support any film you love in cinemas. I can't stress this enough. It's still the bread-and-butter of the movie business, and the reason concession prices are so high is because you're paying for two things: the food itself, and funds to keep the theater running. Almost all of the money from the box office goes back to the studios. Also... it's the way movies are meant to be seen.
ly000001

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
A note to Canadians: Cineplex Odeon will be showing it at some of its theatres that didn't show it this weekend, once on Apr. 12 and again on Apr. 26. One showing will be the subbed version and the other will be the dubbed version (their website will list the subbed version with "Japanese w/e.s.t" in parentheses).
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
girlstudentA wrote:
Also this was the number one theatrical anime release in the U.K. and Australia so I don't want the IS to be shown up by them Wink. Thanks again. I hope you love the movie.

Xoxo
Stephanie

I don't think that Your Name had big audience numbers fo the Australian cinema release unfortunately.

girlstudentA wrote:
If the theater doesn't list dub/sub call the theater and ask.

Also, if they tell you, inform others via your favourite social media.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
We’ve got tickets for Tuesday, so more to come! Really looking forward to this one and not everyone who’s going regularly watches anime.

As for concession prices, theatre prices are better than arena prices and with Cineplex you get a discount & points with Scene; Prices have been pretty stable, locally, for years.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
First of all, sucks to know that prevented you from seeing Film Gold. Second, actually to my memory, Summer Wars, DBZ: Resurrection of F and FMA: The Sacred Star of Milos were screened for about a week. There're probably even more cases than that.

Seriously? I don't know of the others, but for Resurrection: F, looking up that theater showed that they'd only show it at 6:30 PM on a Thursday evening (that is, a one-time screening), and I scheduled my day around that, as did many others who went to see it. I remember it quite well due to the hassle involved because I only had one chance to see it in a theater. It was basically the same deal as with Battle of Gods. Same theater too. I guess they were willing to show anime films, but they didn't want to set aside a screen for a week for it, so they picked an evening on a slow day.

(I got Summer Wars on home video and saw Sacred Star of Milos at Anime Expo though, so I didn't pay attention to those.)
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
girlstudentA wrote:
If the theater doesn't list dub/sub call the theater and ask. I feel like we have to educate the theaters that it matters to list things like this. And if you tell them they are losing business cu people don't want to risk seeing the wrong version we will get better handled releases in the future.

Or just go to https://www.funimationfilms.com/movie/yourname/#theater_locator, look up your local theater, and click the "buy tickets" button underneath it, and it will bring up all the showtimes that that theater and tell you exactly which screenings are subbed and which ones are dubbed. You don't even have to actually buy any tickets - you can just use that to look up the information.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
But I have to wonder if all those high-priced add-ons doesn't just speed up the decline as fewer and fewer will feel the cost is justified. Seems there's still a strong tradition to go out to see movies in US(?) but at least here movie theaters are really struggling and have been for a long while even if the digital transition made things easier for them distribution-wise. I myself haven't seen a movie in a theater since, what, 15 years something ago.

Granted, big theaters in major cities with all the bells and whistles are probably doing alright even here, but others are simply doing their best just to stay afloat...
The decline began ages ago so....
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/?sort=totaltickets&order=DESC&p=.htm

It's not just purely the theaters, part of the blame can also be put on what Hollywood itself is putting out. Theaters are trying whatever they can to get people to come back (restaurant food delivered to your La-Z-Boy seat for example), but it's not just up to them to help keep people coming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Sadly it's dub only here so not worth my time.

I'm neutrally curious, why are you so anti-dub a lot of the time?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
If we could get it to $25+ million, that would be a box-office for a limited release of its category. However, I suspect it might not even get $10 million here.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote

Just seen the movie, it was well.... It's a Shinkai movie. It's got all his tricks and nods to his other films. Real nice landscape jobs.

Fandango said it was subbed at 10pm showing. Funi flipped the script, had to listen to the dub. Their dubs are getting real respectable. Music is translated too. I'll def buy it when it gets released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3