• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Parappa the Rapper Remastered

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Yooka-Laylee isn't getting the best reviews. Though it sounds like less of a train wreck than Mighty No.9 (still the one Kickstarter I truly regret backing) so that's something.

They're already announced a patch that will fix some performance issues, including the camera which was apparently one of the major issues people had. Overall the reviews indicate it's fairly good, just don't expect Mario Galaxy level of quality or anything.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
IanC wrote:
Yooka-Laylee isn't getting the best reviews. Though it sounds like less of a train wreck than Mighty No.9 (still the one Kickstarter I truly regret backing) so that's something.

They're already announced a patch that will fix some performance issues, including the camera which was apparently one of the major issues people had. Overall the reviews indicate it's fairly good, just don't expect Mario Galaxy level of quality or anything.

Jim Sterling destroyed the game in his review.He made it seem even worse than Mighty No.9
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

Jim Sterling destroyed the game in his review.He made it seem even worse than Mighty No.9

To be fair, his review read mostly the same as more positive ones, he just didn't give the game the slightest bit of slack for what it was trying to do whereas even the lukewarm reviews made even a bit of a concession there. I think for those people specifically looking for that nostalgic feel of a late '90s 3D platformer, it'll probably still satiate that need; I, and obviously Sterling, are not among that crowd.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
All Parappa had to do was apply some final touches.

LOL!!!

Now as for the P5 controversy, why the hell are ATLUS complaining about crap now?
There has been streams since the JP version came out and it didn't seem like anyone was saying anything. I mean they did this with P3 and P4 and people still bought the game because most people are also interested in the dubbed version. Now I can understand that they're afraid that they believe it could lower sales but it's not something that can be controlled that easily. But people are going to buy the game regardless.

Nier Automata, talk about some serious numbers. Congrats to the developers.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
PaRappa the Rapper was a game that was very much an experiment in uncharted territory. It's extremely short, quite crude in its presentation, and demanding on your timing. It's little more than one of those tech-demo games, akin to the games that came out early into the Nintendo DS's lifespan like Yoshi Touch and Go or Pac-Pix, whose appeal was mostly in the novelty and were more like toys, or short arcade-style runs. Actually, come to think of it, PaRappa could work quite well at the arcade. (Also, as far as rhythm games go where all the music is original to the game, the Rhythm Heaven series have, at minimum, 48 stages, and are just as strict on your inputs. A PaRappa the Rapper 3 would have to be much longer than either of the previous two or three games.)

The Banjo-Kazooie games are among my favorite 3-D platformers of all time though, so I'll definitely play Yooka-Laylee sometime. It's pretty interesting they were able to port it to the Switch so easily.

belvadeer wrote:
Persona 5: Bandai Namco didn't permit screenshots for Tales of Berseria, and I can understand Atlus doing this to prevent massive spoilers from being posted online, but streamers and let's players aren't forcing anyone to watch their playthrough, so this whole thing is a bit out of hand. If a person doesn't want spoilers, they won't watch.

This incident with Persona 5 is not without precedent. It previously happened with Metal Gear Solid 4 (and Derfsonic cleverly retitled the videos "La-li-lu-le-lo" to dodge it), and it happened with BlazBlue: Continuum Shift which got me an ex post facto copyright strike for my playthrough of BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger.

I really have no idea what the reasoning behind the Persona 5 crackdown is. Maybe there's something in the game really embarrassing to a higher-up, like a glitch or something. Or maybe someone is old-fashioned about video sharing sites and their role in game sales.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
If you enjoyed Splatoon, Peach Beach Splash might be the title that will cool down Summer's rising heat! Smile

Well, Splatoon 2 is itself coming out this summer, so I got that covered. (No pun intended.)

IanC wrote:
The new Senran Kagura just looks like Splatoon but with boobs.

It doesn't seem to have an aiming reticule either, looking at the promotional videos, which would make aiming extremely difficult, especially with sniping weapons (which charge up just like in Splatoon). Then again, the HUD is entirely absent from them too.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:

To be fair, his review read mostly the same as more positive ones, he just didn't give the game the slightest bit of slack for what it was trying to do whereas even the lukewarm reviews made even a bit of a concession there. I think for those people specifically looking for that nostalgic feel of a late '90s 3D platformer, it'll probably still satiate that need; I, and obviously Sterling, are not among that crowd.
That's his thing, is much needed, and more people should follow suit.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
It isn't totally surprising that Atlus is restricting videos for Persona 5 considering it is the same company that used region restrictions on Arena Ultimax. What strikes me as odd is that the Japanese version wasn't restricted, and the reverse importation issue probably isn't there since the Japanese version has been out for months. I'm chalking it up to a company being leery of newer ways that people interact with games. I think gameplay videos tend to help sales, if the game is good anyway, and chances are that if someone treats Let's Play videos as a substitute for playing the game, then they probably weren't going to buy the game anyway.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
. What strikes me as odd is that the Japanese version wasn't restricted

LP/streamer culture isnt big in Japan like it is in the west. No reason to be concerned about that in the Japanese market.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Lord Oink"]
BadNewsBlues wrote:

But seriously, most audiences for LPs and streamers are underaged kids who don't have money to buy games, or have no friends who pretend the LPer is their friend. Not exactly a demographic worth pandering to unless its your main audience like Minecraft or Happy Wheels

And said audience are immature brats who would trashtalk the game anyways. The streamers themselves are guilty of this through their "commentary" as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2